What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

23 hours ago, ejp626 said:

This Wed. evening at Toronto's Jazz Bistro - Bernie Senensky with Stefan Bauer backed by Neil Swainson on bass.  Not a huge fan of the Jazz Bistro, but I'll turn out and see how it goes.

https://jazzbistro.ca/event/bernie-senensky-with-stefan-bauer/

Unfortunately, Bauer came down with COVID and had to miss the gig.  It was still very good, but it would have been quite a different "vibe" if Bauer had made it.  I still don't like the layout or the ambiance of Jazz Bistro very much at all.  I much prefer The Rex, but they so rarely get big names to come play The Rex.  Toronto has a pretty good local jazz scene, but has fallen completely off the map when it comes to bringing in the bigger names.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, bresna said:

Michael Weiss is bringing his trio to Scullers in Boston tonight. I decided to make it a "date night", so me & the wife are stopping in Medford at Nappi's, a nice BYOB Italian restaurant, for an early dinner and I got a room at the hotel that Scullers is in.

Sounds pretty damn good !

I am hoping to catch Julian Siegel’s Jazz Orchestra touring ‘Tales of the Jacquard’ next week. UK Big Band with a stellar lineup.

Michael Weiss played a great set on a frigid evening in Boston. I really liked his take on "Skylark" and the band had fun with Fats Waller's "Jitterbug Waltz" but my favorite of the night was Weiss' tune "Power Station". I was able to pick up a CD of his latest, "Persistence" and I had him sign my ancient LP of "Presenting Michael Weiss".

Son of Goldfinger playing again on Tuesday 2/14 with the awesome Devin Hoff added. Same tiny little place. Also on 2/21. I’ll be there this Tuesday at least. Last Thursday set was a 42 minute piece followed by a 32 minute slab of genius. As great a show as I’ve seen recently and I’ve seen a bunch of great sets over the past 4 months. Maybe the 2 William Winant sets the end of last year were comparable. The set with Winant, Ches & Ava Mendoza was astounding. Ches also used his I-phone & lap top electronics that night. He’s a genius with this stuff as well as being the among the 2-3 most powerful & creative drummers on the planet.

On Thursday with Torn & Berne it was complete immersion from 6 feet away. Mind torn up. The intensity & force was Teutonic. Like Can to the 20th power. And the improvised breaks he did with Torn. Supernatural. Improvising genius level stuff. They were laughing after it ended. They know. 

17 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

See you there!

Take it all in, boys. This is life itself. Seeing the great man with THAT quartet. Up close & personal. Seeing the Grandaddy of them all. Herr Brotzmann. This is not to be taken lightly. I treasure the group of live concerts I’ve been blessed to be able see him play. There will never be another like him.

Edited by Steve Reynolds

4 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Son of Goldfinger playing again on Tuesday 2/14 with the awesome Devin Hoff added. Same tiny little place. Also on 2/21. I’ll be there this Tuesday at least. Last Thursday set was a 42 minute piece followed by a 32 minute slab of genius. As great a show as I’ve seen recently and I’ve seen a bunch of great sets over the past 4 months. Maybe the 2 William Winant sets the end of last year were comparable. The set with Winant, Ches & Ava Mendoza was astounding. Ches also used his I-phone & lap top electronics that night. He’s a genius with this stuff as well as being the among the 2-3 most powerful & creative drummers on the planet.

On Thursday with Torn & Berne it was complete immersion from 6 feet away. Mind torn up. The intensity & force was Teutonic. Like Can to the 20th power. And the improvised breaks he did with Torn. Supernatural. Improvising genius level stuff. They were laughing after it ended. They know. 

Take it all in, boys. This is life itself. Seeing the great man with THAT quartet. Up close & personal. Seeing the Grandaddy of them all. Herr Brotzmann. This is not to be taken lightly. I treasure the group of live concerts I’ve been blessed to be able see him play. There will never be another like him.

It was astounding Steve. Great to see Herr B back at Oto. There's nothing like THAT sound. Yes he's slowed down, of course he has but that makes the peaks even greater and "ballad and blues" Brotzmann is very moving. But I always think the key to listening to him play is to understand it's not about him it's about the collective sound and my were the other three contributing at a high level tonight. I'm a huge fan of of Adasiewicz in every context but his contributions tonight we're so telling.

Gig for the ages and I thought the first time I saw this quartet was very special. This was a privilege. 

Echoing @mjazzg. An incredible night.

Brotzmann in 'ballads and blues' territory for sure (although more Jacquet than Webster, and with plenty of heat when needed), but really a jazz quartet playing at their best.

Adasiewicz had a huge sound, but I was struck by the rhythm section in particular: John Edwards (who I've grown accustomed to seeing supporting less rhythmic free improv acts) and especially Steve Noble, who gave the whole thing such a full-blooded rhythmic edge.

7 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Brotzmann in 'ballads and blues' territory for sure (although more Jacquet than Webster, and with plenty of heat when needed), but really a jazz quartet playing at their best.

Adasiewicz had a huge sound, but I was struck by the rhythm section in particular: John Edwards (who I've grown accustomed to seeing supporting less rhythmic free improv acts) and especially Steve Noble, who gave the whole thing such a full-blooded rhythmic edge.

Noble as 'funky drummer' on more than one occasion.

11 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Shame I missed that. John Edwards is brilliant, whoever he plays with. 

is Oto now a seated venue or still the old mixture of seats and standing? Haven’t been for a while.

Was meaning to post this earlier, February 4:

Christian Marclay graphic scores interpreted by Jacques Demierre (2009 score), by Noël Akchoté, Julien Eil, John Butcher, Luc Mueller and Noelle Reymond (2016 and 2005), Elaine Mitchener (2020), Alex ABH Hackett (2010).

Excellent complement to the really good exhibit at the Modern Art Center in Paris.