What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yesterday, the Fort Worth African American Roots Music Festival at Southside Preservation Hall, an historic building dating to 1911, just south of downtown Fort Worth.

I heard three concerts from the festival's headliners, as well as a very interesting lecture from Justin Robinson regarding the West African roots of American music.

Jake Blount, on banjo, fiddle and vocals, accompanied by a percussive dancer. Not my usual area of interest, but a very fine musician for sure, focusing on music sourced to little recorded or unrecorded rural black and Native American musicians.

Tray Wellington, on banjo, in a group with acoustic guitar, mandolin/fiddle, and acoustic bass. This set was first-rate, a fusion of bluegrass and jazz. Superior original material, plus they played compositions by Roy Hargrove and Mississippi John Hurt. This slightly reminded me of seeing David Grisman's Dawg Jazz at the Caravan of Dreams years ago, except this group was much better. Immediately ordered the leader's last CD, Black Banjo.

Closing out the evening, Austin's Jackie Venson, was in incendiary form, accompanied by drummer Rodney Hyder. That was one of the best sets I've heard from her. Thrilling guitar playing on display.

Sound for the evening was nearly perfect. Kudos to the sound man.

The only disappointments were the size of the crowd was not that large (I hope the festival returns for its third year in 2024), and Kaia Kater was in the audience but did not perform.

Edited by kh1958

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from seeing Jeff Parker perform a set of his music with the Plummer Jazz Sextet (an ongoing group of IU’s best jazz students, named in honor of saxophonist Paul Plummer, who gave two million dollars about 10 years ago to found an IU jazz studies endowment). A beautiful performance to match the evening’s weather.

In March and April, the Rex has been able to bring in a fair number of Juno nominees and even some winners.  I saw Mark Kelso & the Jazz Exiles a couple of weeks ago, and tonight was the Jocelyn Gould Quintet.  Gould is a guitarist heavily influenced by Wes Montgomery.  She is a Juno winner.  If I'm able to swing it, I'll see the Lauren Falls Quintet next Monday evening. 

• 2 weeks later...

Almost reluctantly going to Cheltenham ‘jazz’ festival this weekend, seeing Xhosa Cole and black top. Not seeing Squeeze, Jake Bugg or Tony Hadley from the famous jazz group, Spandau Ballet…thin pickings this year with most of the jazz shoved into a small arts centre and the main venues given over to pop. 

Anthony

London

58 minutes ago, adh1907 said:

Almost reluctantly going to Cheltenham ‘jazz’ festival this weekend, seeing Xhosa Cole and black top. Not seeing Squeeze, Jake Bugg or Tony Hadley from the famous jazz group, Spandau Ballet…thin pickings this year with most of the jazz shoved into a small arts centre and the main venues given over to pop. 

Anthony

London

I haven’t been for years. Shame - that and the Bath Festival weekend used to be real highlights, with strong jazz content. The Cotswolds ‘gold card brigade’ moving in at Cheltenham put an end to it - hence Spandau etc. (who will no doubt play ‘Gold’).

They used to put on some of the best jazz groups in the Town Hall and that historic small theatre too, as well as the arts centre. It was a smaller, lower profile event but it had better jazz.

Edited by sidewinder

Sally Gates on guitar with Zoh Amba on tenor saxophone & Dan Weiss on drums @ The New School

saw the young saxophonist on Tuesday night @ Zürcher Gallery with Gabby Fluke-Mogul, Steve Gunn & Ryan Sawyer. Mind blowing 50 minute improvised set. 

6th live jazz show in April. Another planned for Saturday night.

Edited by Steve Reynolds

Last night, Abdullah Ibrahim and Ekaya at Kennedy Center. Previous scheduled show cancelled due to death of Hugh Masekela. AI played a few long solos, but didn’t interact that much musically w the 6 piece band. Bit of a victory lap, but okay for 88 year old music/civil rights hero. 

This past weekend was the first weekend of the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival.

Day 1: Logistics were a bit of a disaster, but in the end I saw:

First the Jason Marsalis Quartet with Warren Wolf. First half of the set was Warren Wolf on vibes and Jason on drums playing mostly Warren Wolf compositions. Second half of the set was Jason on vibes and Warren Wolf on drums playing Lionel Hampton associated tunes, followed by a dual drum interlude before Warren Wolf returned to the vibes. And I should note that the very fine New Orleans pianist throughout was Oscar Rossignoli. It was a really good set.

Second, the elegant and refined New Orleans trumpeter Leroy Jones performed in Economy Hall.

Third, a group called Something Else, led by Vincent Herring, which included James Carter, Randy Brecker, Dave Kikowski, Paul Bollenback, Essiet Essiet, and Lewis Nash. Unforuntately, something else proved to be warmed over jazz/funk. The excellent acoustic bassist Essiet Essiet was on electric bass on most of the songs, which did not work. A couple of the songs were good (Freddie Hubbard's Spirits of Trane and Roy Hargrove's Strasbourt/St. Denis), and James Carter and Brecker both played well, but mostly a disappointing set.

Closing the first day was Nicholas Payton, in a trio with MonoNeon on bass guitar and Corey Fonville on drums. This was not boring jazz/funk but rather a wildly experimental set--the highlight being Payton's fantastic trumpet playing, and particularly the long interlude of a six part suite where Jesse McBride took over the piano and the trumpeter played an extended solo as he wandered throughout the jazz tent.

Day 2:

First, the New Orleans based Cuban percussionist Alexey Marti leads an exciting multinational Latin jazz band.

Second, the New Orleans street buskers, Tuba Skinny, who drew a pretty big crowd. During their set a deluge of rain arrives. Fortunately, songs by Ma Rainey are in their repertoire. 

Third, the fine jazz singer, Catherine Russell and her solid group play a long set.

Finally, another repertory group, Secret Six, who are excellent--a bit similar in approach to Tuba Skinny but I would say Tuba Skinny is a bit more early blues than early jazz, whereas Secret Six was pure early jazz. Especially enjoyed the King Oliver Creole Jazz Band songs.

Highlight of the day is in the evening, at the Virgin Hotel (for free even), in the form of a set by cellist Helen Gillet (in a duo with Brian Haas on keyboard). How have I missed her for so long? She is fantastic.

Day 3:

Starting with a very intense set by Mdou Moctar in the Cultural Pavilion. Unfortunately, the sound man is terrible and Moctar is more felt than heard.

Next, 90 year old tenor saxophonist Charlie Gabriel escapes from the confines of the Preservation Hall Jazz Band to do a set of modern jazz paired with baritone saxophonist Roger Lewis. Gabriel sounds really good in this context. The rest of the group is also well seasoned and they sound great, playing the Blues Up and Down, among others.

Sunday is one of those great days at the NOJHF when top flight sets pile on top of each other.

Next is the Jordan Family Tribute to Kidd Jordan. That was one of the more intense emotional concerts I've ever experienced. It was a large group, featuring his four musician children (Stephanie on vocals, Rachel on violin, Kent on flute and Marlon on trumpet). Began with an extended Alvin Batiste composition with heavy contribution from the string section. Then they played a Love Supreme part 1 (the tenor soloist was unknown to me but rather good and outside), which was almost too much to bear, with his children appearing to be crying on stage. At one point they played a medley of Kidd Jordan compositions which were surprisingly melodic, catchy even (You didn't know our Dad could groove, said Stephanie). All of the children were featured and played/sang brilliantly. It was a great concert.

Keeping in the tribute vein, next was a Tribute to Sidney Bechet, featuring Dr. Michael White, Aurora Nealand and Donald Harrison. If less emotionally wrenching, this set was also superb.

Closing out the day at the Fest with something different, a New Orleans pop/jazz group called People Museum. Very fine singer. The group sounds like it should be featured in the next David Lynch movie, if there ever is one. Enjoyed a lot more than anticipated.

Finally, at the 3 Keys in the evening, some Brazilian bossa nova/jazz by Gabriel de Rosa. Also good.

Edited by kh1958

Last night James Brandon Lewis duo with Chad Taylor

plus Thumbscrew with Mary Halvorson, Michael Formanek & Tomas Fujiwara

duo was a bit of a slog as JBL plays way too much

Thumbscrew was incredible as always  / restrained yet powerful and they play great little tunes. Plus Mary is GOD! 

10 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Last night James Brandon Lewis duo with Chad Taylor

plus Thumbscrew with Mary Halvorson, Michael Formanek & Tomas Fujiwara

duo was a bit of a slog as JBL plays way too much

Thumbscrew was incredible as always  / restrained yet powerful and they play great little tunes. Plus Mary is GOD! 

Saw JBL Trio and Mary (with Amaryllis and Belladonna) at Big Ears. Agreed that JBL can overblow, but the 2nd half of his set was more restrained and interesting. Both of Mary's sets were excellent, although I think Amaryllis (w/string quartet) was more interesting.

0t4zsHziNHuWmSRWv73SzaKx8t_tOtwE2ciYGQp4d18ztfyVATf0WKcsOFG0_cJWjaIMVkxx7tRh0bDQIr0WSOFzU2pjzUUW97-6rXFCEB-ZiU29CE6semMOyPmQCNIuq43A2qHTglJJIUIM1e4IjgeHDUHi6FSTXC9thHyr-IIkqnVo51TZFpAa7bAuLTJo2ltqOos6GX-5Fo2i5Tw_Vl5J5GoVcytv6AeOh-vCaP4vX6qX5pjBUlvaglKfbptacVWaqvABTL3cOVf-xlvsvaotgPRETPxEWWSQVmphfzUTwVh1D3AjYZppG9i6xmgW7vU5H1vOwq2XXTrZQ5PGJ6Pe_ceFdxLFgxJeJuHjRgzhsrtEuR9V8hfRO2AHEZEtS52bxzFibIcOUaztgSemYhB-fmICskvvi8jz4sReoY2MmbIFUlRf5cJyJ7FzfMbkewljtVnCtOizb7XbEeKZJKjsG1Ss3_XyjSVB5ZTt0RggysLqjSP7sP_Z7GnsVO7J7pxJ_2m0GEUzaJIUNAXsCGh7V5E0qsjGO9VTXsdgEZOzoid5c2njG_LKLeQcKQksI0sWDBr_Dlu3eoK_n6GO5DI1v7eHA11ELtI60fFjAGiHniQCHcMouALae1yhdDjvV5zNwTifnsAOVooS7ECu3mawPWVA8rtAIPv9ZZWsV789u220E212g_gSNmpCbxPqHpRul090h9VtQiRjz1IJunJ5STNyhFl3GI1pqj4a03cdsZpEobcbSyhwTPJuxWWnJxmBuaH8rZQ-NCfQXbsjYpthHtrqpq4dasaMgRhYYcxSnVoOywDWryT8JZ9YHIFqxRrmnD-IPwgktMRK15Az2TNkLte4OypltGC5z61fukAPEuiwKEv4ZiQ-e-6NWm37nZvAri-gbmL8HZ3IQCjLBIjxXNOfT_4StGUHFSV9LTFaGA=w1707-h1280-s-no?authuser=0

04iEDrhx6PTZilnMa1eSWeUlPHJE2Gu82_6LqDpWkuonLfOtHkUCCmNzKSig6zWXdTwm9hnW6D7zLxE_bnpHCiQ-F7MltJ4B6E6KWLGv76NMSKdmPCaXdDJsSyPq0OqQcI8s2I64YiWjNjjb_8kdb043xGP1OdPGbGGJOBmFFeefI0nSTP39ju1mn8EfafwVIQKS8eGK8Ik_JpPxOW0hjGvp6TJi3HMsKA3O7E2sA-0uRAq9WMsbABERAlcRFUgAq5r-uMjDzEK8QZm_cJG8kjiVcX7YtEQ2ZREZ_ibFVZdhy-itHkXKJTtHX-QXLDuRbocJn2eOM2szojyblIs84PKoF5Pm4kOfxl8G-rk7J4fSx_RGtb25tN5x9QSOgTNihFODOQo-HkZQRoIh59r0Tp89BOoAlrw2Tdq0YeL8FaPfqq2KTkPn-DY9U1de3wES871wftSvwi2kmXeULtSOYsN6wR4Zjg-9NAjLQaSn_aFqWKfhuCBMZVnYl-OdrHH2gzGRiAVxQ-Mnxq8TP1yvSzsHG94_Sy2O7GI9iOEwId49HrHDnbC4ZkQrRW5Ya-0a3LJXiiQcUxYtsvwoVaFu4LKDVWQ-pLqk0xM3z6pmGEyFIjPNg7sh0wU-OmDz-j6KCDe3X2iTeLGKDmvJgmnh1Wxr4c8J8FfHzbU8kl8u9dvx-S_wkVkfyBO-brvsihJ8uhj3MRD7u7TGntRufAzN3fA8brspLNaFMhAolMcCBfOq5nRuUmHDDOErvqEJgv3GuknjMu8fON3DpYDystI_BqNZTuVGS2EopSh1gyZTdxcPzzHCkMyc4JiWTi2-4BMjJgAhw2kFrxIzDRoarMWMI0OOsYk8l_UlZnUjxqPtM9xOKBCdYpHzBFeL67oLvZ7CFIfSINsaEEIwswbEo7RtJR5_-v4eT2OhU_o_8RL7O2hcnA=w1707-h1280-s-no?authuser=0

• 2 weeks later...