What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

oh hey u guys gues what? on wed i stood on the exterior of the jazz club waitin for my bus, 4 ft away from the outside, but with a perfect view of the piano players hands & 88 key keyboard...........who was it?

HHHHHHHHHH

AAAAAAAAAA

NNNNNNNNN

KKKKKKKKKKK

JJJJJJJJJJJJ

OOOOOOO

NNNNNNNNNN

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

SSSSSSSSSSSSS

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last night I caught McCoy Tyner trio performing with tap dancer Savion Glover. Interesting idea that went over very well with the Kennedy Center crowd. Only obviously "tappable" tune was Duke's "In a Mellow Tone". Some feedback, perhaps from Glover's micced floor panels, kind of ruined the two tunes the trio played without Glover. Perhaps the saddest part was that they played two 30 minute sets (if that). I know McCoy will be 70 this year, and he certainly is not as vigorous as he's been in recent years, but is this guy just cashing checks now? [...I had a similar but less strong feeling following his fairly short performance at Univ of Maryland last October.] I knew that this was a possibility, and I'm not upset--just wonderin'.

Just got home from Jeff Chan, Francis Wong, Ed Wilkerson, and Tatsu Aoki at the Velvet. I caught one great set - some interesting compositions from Chan, and some very quiet delicate playing from all three reeds that complimented the more brawny blowing sessions that erupted at times. Overall a great set, highly enjoyable, and its always a pleasure to greet Fred Anderson and chat for a minute.

On Friday(2/29) I caught John Zorn at St. Ann's Warehouse in Brooklyn. The group was about identical to the Electric Masada group, Trevor Dunn, Marc Ribot(!!!!!!!!!!), Joey Baron, Cyro Baptista(!!!), Kenny Wolleson, Jamie Saft &Zorn. They played new music written by Zorn, and Zorn mostly conducted and played alto sparingly. The music was definitely reminiscent of Electric Masada, and boy was that band tight and intense! I had always thought Ribot was a real good guitarist, but he was absolutely stunning on Friday, causing many spontaneous eruptions of applause and cheering. Cyro Baptista was the mad scientist of percussion, grabbing everything around him and making just the right sound to fit what the rest of the band was doing.

My first time at this venue, and it was very nice, low key crowd also.

Lou Reed was in the audience.

A great night of music in my favorite place in the world-Brooklyn.

On Friday(2/29) I caught John Zorn at St. Ann's Warehouse in Brooklyn. The group was about identical to the Electric Masada group, Trevor Dunn, Marc Ribot(!!!!!!!!!!), Joey Baron, Cyro Baptista(!!!), Kenny Wolleson, Jamie Saft &Zorn. They played new music written by Zorn, and Zorn mostly conducted and played alto sparingly. The music was definitely reminiscent of Electric Masada, and boy was that band tight and intense! I had always thought Ribot was a real good guitarist, but he was absolutely stunning on Friday, causing many spontaneous eruptions of applause and cheering. Cyro Baptista was the mad scientist of percussion, grabbing everything around him and making just the right sound to fit what the rest of the band was doing.

Any mention whether a new recording will be forthcoming with this music? Sounds great!

I saw this last night(3/2) here in Philly. The line up was the same except for the addition of Ikue Mori, electronics. Jamie Saft Trio followed by Erik Freidlander- solo set on cello - opened. I have to echo your comments - amazing ensemble playing. I admit I own none of his albums and know of him through friends who either really love his music or loathe it. I went out of curiosity and was blown away.

I know it's early March but it's hard to imagine seeing another performance by anyone this year that will top last nights. Seriously.

Any mention whether a new recording will be forthcoming with this music? Sounds great!

I believe it comes out on the 18th. I bought it at the gig and I'm listening to it now-very very good.

Last night I saw Nik Bärtsch's - Ronin in San Francisco.

Fantastic, great sound and group dynamics, the drummer is phenomenal.

They stretch out a bit more live than on the records and they get really into it and interact with the crowd.

They hung out after the show to talk to people, nice humble guys. Last night of the tour before heading back to Switzerland. Glad I got to catch them.

Going to see Branford Marsalis tonight (in a couple of hours). Nice seat, too -- Row 9, in the center seating but just off to one side a bit. Should be good.

Post-concert EDIT: Well ... that was interesting. Half the band didn't show up because of weather up north and canceled flights. So, it was Marsalis and Joey Calderazzo in a sax-piano duo. Billy Taylor was in the audience and sat in for a couple of numbers as well. So that was a treat.

Marsalis and Cadlerazzo played two beautiful tunes ("Hope" and "Eternal") with Marsalis on soprano sax. Gorgeous. And Marsalis played wonderfully on tenor on tunes such as "Monk's Dream" and "Love is Here to Stay." Lots of interesting interplay and improvisation. But ... I found Calderazzo's playing to be a little dense for a duet setting. He displayed a gentle touch on "Hope," but otherwise wasn't leaving much space in his playing. This was brought into sharp relief when Taylor sat in at the piano. He had a much more nuanced touch, I thought, that worked better in duets. And while Marsalis' playing was solid throughout, he didn't exactly break a sweat. And he gave a lot of solo space to Calderazzo -- a bit too much, IMO.

All in all, the whole thing had kind of a casual, playing-around-in-the-studio feel to it, which is fine. And the audience pretty much loved it. But in the end, I would have preferred to listen to the quartet.

Edited by papsrus

Guest Bill Barton

Last night at the Jazz Standard:

Oliver Lake

Geri Allen

Reggie Workman

Andrew Cyrille

Great stuff.

What a line-up! I hope that this combination of musicians plays in Seattle soon!

I just returned from The Seattle Drum School performance space where Daniel Barry's Walk All Ways group and The Seattle Women's Jazz Orchestra played a double-bill CD release party.

This was superb music. If you haven't heard Daniel's compositions and arrangements yet you definitely owe it to yourself to check him out.

And a reminder to board members in the Seattle area: Hadley Caliman's CD release party for Gratitude is at Tula's on Friday the 12st, first set at 8:30 p.m. The group will include Joe Locke and Thomas Marriott.

Guest Bill Barton

...a reminder to board members in the Seattle area: Hadley Caliman's CD release party for Gratitude is at Tula's on Friday the 12st, first set at 8:30 p.m. The group will include Joe Locke and Thomas Marriott.

Word from Tula's as of tonight is that this is sold out.

Joe, how was the SF Jazz Collective? I've loved all 4 of their albums so far, and definitely will preorder the 2008 set soon. Sure beats what LCJO does, b/c its fresh and relevant

I'm going to wait until after Mark has seen them before I post. :cool:

Sitting in the lobby of the Guest Quarters Suite Hotel as I type this, waiting to see the Art Blakey Tribute band with Valery Ponomarev & Bobby Watson in the front line at Scullers Jazz club. I'm hoping that Ronnie Mathews is at the piano as I haven't seen him in ages. He played with this band last week in NJ.

I'm hoping that Ronnie Mathews is at the piano as I haven't seen him in ages. He played with this band last week in NJ.

That makes me jealous. Ronnie Mathews is always a blast to hear, always swings like crazy. Still pumping out that great 'Rumproller' sound. :tup

Unfortunately, Ronnie didn't make the gig, and I was told his health isn't too good. His sub, Orrin Evans, seemed to a bit lost with the Jazz Messengers songbook. All in all, a decent show that would have been better if it were more organized. I've never seen a show where the band members were so confused as to which tune was next or who was up for the next solo.

Jazzshrink gave it a B-, I'd give it a B+. I also dug Ralph Peterson's guest shot on two tunes. He is one powerful drummer.