What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Last night early... Anthony Braxton Falling River Quartet

and later ... Wire

Tonight - Braxton

Composition N.103 (for seven trumpets) features 145 pages of notated music and choreography for seven costumed instrumentalists. Composed in 1983, the 45-minute piece was first performed in 2005, in a fully staged and costumed realization at Wesleyan University celebrating Braxton’s 60th birthday. This ANW performance will be the Philadelphia premiere, and only the third performance anywhere, of this major work.

Braxton’s Composition N.169 is one of the seminal pieces in the composer’s oeuvre, yet has never been performed by the intended instrumentation. Originally written for brass quintet (on swivel chairs), 169 consists of an hour of intense and unrelenting rhythmic complexity, contrasting with sections of lush, static harmonies. Braxton never found an ensemble brave enough to tackle the imposing piece, so instead has performed the work in configurations ranging from saxophone quartet to full orchestra. This ANW performance marks the second time this composition will be staged with its original instrumentation.

Saw Lucinda Williams last thursday, a little more rockin' than it should be necessary, it felt more like a rock arena show than anything. Enjoyed her but don't really care about her band. Also the fans, very weird crowd actually, they acted like morons throughout the set, as soon as she was finishing a song, you heard them shouting for certain songs

I saw a band called Sunn O))) on Thursday night. I can say that this show was, without a doubt, the LOUDEST concert I've attended. Even though I was wearing earplugs for the entire show and I was sitting in the way back of the room my ears were ringing the next morning when I woke up. I would say about 90% of the audience did not have any hearing protection.

I saw a band called Sunn O))) on Thursday night. I can say that this show was, without a doubt, the LOUDEST concert I've attended. Even though I was wearing earplugs for the entire show and I was sitting in the way back of the room my ears were ringing the next morning when I woke up. I would say about 90% of the audience did not have any hearing protection.

I've been curious about this group, were they any good (or could you tell over the noise?).

Another recent band that's entire ethic is based on sheer VOLUME is High On Fire from Oakland..their guitarist says he doesn't play guitar he plays feedback.

Saw the first set on Sat. of Organissimo at Andy's. I talked to Larry Kart and briefly to Rachel and the guys in the band. It was a great set including -- Stomp Your Feet, Bleecker, Senor Buffet and ending with Groovadelphia.

Glad to finally see the guys in person. Hopefully they'll make it out to Chicago more. Andy's is not known for serious jazz listening (compared to Green Mill for instance) but the guys really had the crowd in their hands.

What ejp626 said. It was great to meet him and Rachel and to see the guys in the band again, though there little time for them to talk between sets, and I was too tired to stay for more than one. Reinforced my longtime feeling that this is a band that can make its points with and over virtually any talky audience but can be listened to at whatever level of subtlety you can and want to bring to them. Stuff is happening all the time -- not unlike vintage Horace Silver that way -- and it leads (no small matter) to internal group zest and satisfaction.

I've been curious about this group, were they any good (or could you tell over the noise?).

Another recent band that's entire ethic is based on sheer VOLUME is High On Fire from Oakland..their guitarist says he doesn't play guitar he plays feedback.

I thought they were pretty .... interesting. I'm mean their performance was a very visceral experience that I'm not sure would transfer over well to recorded media. Though I can't speak w/ authority here seeing as I have never heard any of their recordings. I can't even say how the show I saw would compare to their other live shows because at this show they were recreating their first recording that was released 10 years ago.