Jump to content

What live music are you going to see tonight?


mikeweil

Recommended Posts

The San Marcos High School Jazz Band. (Santa Barbara). I first heard this band by accident. I went to see a friend's rock band playing a fundraiser dance and it turned out that the fundraiser was for a high school jazz band that played a few numbers between the sets.  They won me over immediately by beginning with "Motin Swing".

Last night they gave a concert at a 600 seat theater where usually I see someone like Charles Lloyd.  It's a large band: (8 saxes, 6 trombones, 5 trumpets, 4 pieces rhythm section with 4 rotating pianists, 2 rotating drummers, an electric bass alternating with a stand up bass and one guitar.  So about 30 young people (about 1/3 female including two who doubled on baritone and flute)  playing swing and modern big band jazz very well  and  having a great time.  

 

Numbers included "Motin Swing" again, "Well You Needn't" and several more recent pieces I didn't recognize.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Orchestre National de Jazz and Steve Lehman at the Vortex

Stunning concert, so much going on musically. Boulez meets Jackie Mac with Grachan and Bobby H, with some M-base in a big band with Murail and Grisey having a big say. Very original.

Edited by mjazzg
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Last night, at the Memorial High School Auditorium in Frisco, a Jugalbandi featuring Hindustani Flute By Praveen Godkindi and Carnatic Violin By Ambi Subramanian - son of L Subramanian, with three percussionists -Yashwant Vaishnav on Tabla, Sowmi Narayanan on Ghatam, and Akshay Anthapadmanabhan on Mridamgam.

An excellent concert of Indian classical music, the violinist was exceptional.

Edited by kh1958
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Last week:

Alex Harding/Lucian Ban Blutopia with Mat Maneri, Bob Stewart & Brandon Lewis

also Michael Foster’s Ghost with John Moran & Joey Sullivan, solo alto Don Malfon

Also Chuck Roth duo with Scott Fields 

an awesome trio with Maria Valencia, Brandon Lopez & Matt Moran

tomorrow Ben Goldberg with Nels Cline, Trevor Dunn & Tom Rainey

then some great improv sets in Brooklyn this upcoming weekend including Sandy Ewen, Lyle Rivera, Sabrina Salome, Michael Foster & Webb Crawford among others 

watch out for Webb Crawford and her baby Gibson. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/4/2024 at 7:44 AM, Steve Reynolds said:

Last week:

Alex Harding/Lucian Ban Blutopia with Mat Maneri, Bob Stewart & Brandon Lewis

also Michael Foster’s Ghost with John Moran & Joey Sullivan, solo alto Don Malfon

Also Chuck Roth duo with Scott Fields 

an awesome trio with Maria Valencia, Brandon Lopez & Matt Moran

tomorrow Ben Goldberg with Nels Cline, Trevor Dunn & Tom Rainey

then some great improv sets in Brooklyn this upcoming weekend including Sandy Ewen, Lyle Rivera, Sabrina Salome, Michael Foster & Webb Crawford among others 

watch out for Webb Crawford and her baby Gibson. 

Goldberg, Cline, Dunn & Rainey were spectacular

48-49 minute improvisation followed by a 6-7 minute coda

wowza

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

VERY eclectic weekend

Friday: The Sadies
Saturday: The Chameleons UK
Sunday: Gary Bartz Ntu Troop Revisited w/Ambrose Akinmusire. They haven't announced who else is in the group. REALLY looking forward to this one!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BFrank said:

VERY eclectic weekend

Friday: The Sadies
Saturday: The Chameleons UK
Sunday: Gary Bartz Ntu Troop Revisited w/Ambrose Akinmusire. They haven't announced who else is in the group. REALLY looking forward to this one!

Pls share your impressions reg The Sadies/The Chameleons thereafter ....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, jlhoots said:

Tomorrow - James McMurtry

He's playing here in Phoenix on Sunday night, tempted to go see him again.  I saw him about 2 months ago in Austin (he plays at the Continental Club there every Tuesday when he's not on the road), and it was fantastic.

Edited by Aggie87
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/6/2024 at 2:29 PM, Aggie87 said:

He's playing here in Phoenix on Sunday night, tempted to go see him again.  I saw him about 2 months ago in Austin (he plays at the Continental Club there every Tuesday when he's not on the road), and it was fantastic.

James is ALWAYS good - solo and with his band

On 6/6/2024 at 12:34 AM, soulpope said:

Pls share your impressions reg The Sadies/The Chameleons thereafter ....

Sadies were very good tonight. I saw them last year, too. Sadly they're not the same since Dallas passed away a couple years ago. I give them a ton of credit for carrying on, but there's definitely 'something' missing.

sadies.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, BFrank said:

Sadies were very good tonight. I saw them last year, too. Sadly they're not the same since Dallas passed away a couple years ago. I give them a ton of credit for carrying on, but there's definitely 'something' missing.

sadies.jpg

Thnx for sharing 👌👍 ....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, hopkins said:

Too bad that Solal has retired but he was touring here well into his senior years. I saw him some years ago on his last UK appearances, Bath I think but not sure. Even more memorable was another  Bath appearance, solo that time, in the 80s in the Georgian splendour of the Assembly Rooms.

Updated to say that the last appearance was 2010 in Bath, feels more recent than that. With his trio. Article here: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2010/may/20/martial-solal-jazz-piano

Edited by sidewinder
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Too bad that Solal has retired but he was touring here well into his senior years. I saw him some years ago on his last UK appearances, Bath I think but not sure. Even more memorable was another  Bath appearance, solo that time, in the 80s in the Georgian splendour of the Assembly Rooms.

Updated to say that the last appearance was 2010 in Bath, feels more recent than that. With his trio. Article here: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2010/may/20/martial-solal-jazz-piano

Perhaps he will be attending the performance. Though he is now 97...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/6/2024 at 12:34 AM, soulpope said:

Pls share your impressions reg The Sadies/The Chameleons thereafter ....

Chameleons were great! After playing the entire Strange Times album, they played a number of "hits" that really got the crowd going.

chameleons.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mary Glennon, one of my Facebook friends, posted that she went to see Renee Rosnes at the Village Vanguard last night and she said that the new management has re-done the audience seating area. Her comment was that the seating was "stacked in lines like chairs in a gym and there are no sight lines" & that the chairs are "stacked knee to knee to the chair next to you". She said it's worse than the Blue Note, which doesn't seem possible. Ugh. She also said that there was no table for your drink. Instead, you have to hold it in your hand the whole show (note - they have a two drink minimum). To add insult, they no longer have a waitstaff, so good luck getting that 2nd drink that you prepaid for up front.

One of the things I loved about the Vanguard was the sight lines. It seemed like no matter where you sat, you could catch a glimpse of one of the band members up on stage. I had a friend who loved to sit along the side wall on one of the padded benches. He claimed that was where you got the best sound too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...