Dave Pell

P.D.

Jazzmatazz is listing 25 Dave Pell reissues.

Dave Pell, tenor sax player and arranger generally produces worthwhile sets, even though some of the titles e. g. “ The Old South Wails” which has a bunch of traditional jazz warhorses and flag wavers, the arrangements and musicians involved make them of interest if you like to explore West Coast Jazz.

The list below seems to be mainly big band sets, some are not listed in Lord,( marked * ) some of the entries that are there, have no personnel.

One, ..The Goodman, is listed as the Ted Heath band of ’59.

Most of the listings are said to have Pell there as “ leader” but not in a playing capacity.

I suspect most of these to be ‘cheap’ label ( Pickwick) big band sets for the nostalgia crowd, and of little interest to most of us

However I do have the, Rogers& Hart, the Berlin and Burke & Van Heusen which are Octet sets ( Fagerquist, Ray Sims, Ronnie Lang etc.) . These are in keeping with Pell’s RCA output

Dave Pell

Big Band Hits, *

Cherokee Revisited, *

Crazy Rhythm, *

Duke Ellington,

Found A New Baby*,

Glenn Miller,*

Great Saxes Of The 50's, *

Live In Paradise, *

Meditation,*

Plays Artie Shaw,

Plays Benny Goodman,

Plays Count Basie, *

Plays Harry James

Plays Henri Mancini,*

Plays Les Brown,*

Plays Perez Prado,

Plays The Dorseys,

Swing Of Pearls *

Burke & Van Heusen

Cameo, *

Harry Warren Songbook,

Irving Berlin,

Rogers & Hart,

Say It With Music, *

Young & Healthy *

Anybody got more definite info on these?.. I see some in the used vinyl stores, and they do seem to be “nostalgia’ records, but if there are any octet sets, other than the three I have, I’d like to know.. so far the usual record sites list the albums for pre order, but no cover art or details are supplied.

Peter, I'm with you all the way on this one, and I don't have any additional information to offer; I've heard (and like) those that you have heard, and I'd be cautious of the rest of these for the same reasons. . . . Hopefully someone will chime in with some information.

I sometimes play in a rehearsal band that has a lot of the Pell octet charts, and they're harder tahn shit, some of them, wierd keys, and highly detailed rhythms.

My basic take on them is that it's a lot of labor to very little end musically. But hey, I dig playing them anyway, just because of the challenge.

Dave Pell Recordings:

1. You can probably find some of these album titles listed on All Music Guide. Some of these album listings will have the individual tracks listed.

2. Go to Dave Pell's website:

http://www.davepell.com

You can listen to sound bites from about 150 of his recorded tunes.

3. With arrangers like Bill Holman, Marty Paich, Bob Florence, Johnny Mandel, Shorty Rogers, and Med Flory, it's hard not to like this material.

4. However, expect a bit of fluff. For years, Pell did the college circuiit.

Edited by DIS

Hi,

Did you have details about a reissue of the following session:

Frank Beach (tp), Ray Sims (tb), Art Pepper (as), Dave Pell (ts), Geoff"Jeff"Clarkson (p), Iggy Shevack (b), Roy Harte (dm), Eilen Wilson (Ray Karma), Ray Kellog, Stumpy Brown (voc), Frank Comstock, Wes Hensel (arr)

Hollywood, CA, July 1949

CRC-5 Boptized

CRC-7 You made me cry once too often-vocSB

CRC-8 I said it before-vocSB

CRC-9 Close your eyes-vocEW

CRC-10 It was lovely while it lasted-vocRK

CRC-11 Pell mell

1st & 6th title on Checker 702 (78rpm)

2nd & 3st title on Checker 703 (78rpm)

4th & 5th title on Checker 704 (78rpm)

Cheers

I'm in a big band that recently read a Dave Pell arrangement of "When the Saints Go Marching In." It's an ok arrangement but the leader of the band wants me to find what album its on. He calls it "Saints" on the chart.

Any help would be appreciated in locating an original recording.

BTW, is Dave Pell British?

I'm in a big band that recently read a Dave Pell arrangement of "When the Saints Go Marching In." It's an ok arrangement but the leader of the band wants me to find what album its on. He calls it "Saints" on the chart.

Any help would be appreciated in locating an original recording.

There is a version on the " Benny Goodman " tribute in the list.. currently less than $9.00 from CD universe.

I suspect this might be the one

There is also an Octet version on " The Old South Wails".. presently used vinyl only.

I might go for the Goodman as its the "59 Ted Heath band, but still think these fall into an "easy listening" category

The two albums Dave -ell recorded for Atlantic 'Jazz & Romantic Places' and 'Love Story' are also outstanding. As on many Pell albums, the trumpet player is Don Fagerquist and he is his usual impeccable self on both. Bob Gordon is also on the first album.

'Love Story' was reissued on a Collectable CD that also included the Atlantic Dick Katz 'Piano and Pen' album instead of the second Pell Atlantic session.

Oh, I must have overlooked this thread ...

I fully agree with Late: these are my two favorite Pell albums. Another one I'll be getting sometime is Campus Hop on RCA, which might be good, but Im not sure. With the load of easy listening albums he produced in the sixties (Dave Pell Singers and all) there's much weak material around. But in his early days with the usual LA gang (Gordon, Sheldon :tup:tup,) he was great.

I put a strong vote in for these two.

Another one I'll be getting sometime is Campus Hop on RCA, which might be good, but I'm not sure.

If it's anything like its "companion" set on RCA (Jazz Goes Dancing, Prom to Prom), it might not be up to your expectations. I haven't heard Campus Hop, but ended up selling Prom to Prom, even with the always-tasteful Fagerquist contributions. Just too much fluff for my taste, and I usually love just about anything "West Coast."

If you don't yet have Fagerquist's VSOP date, however ... now that one :excited: