Night of the Cookers

Brad

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't work for me.

This live lineup or the original albums?

The original or more specifically James Spaulding. I just don't feel that he melded well with Hubbbard and Morgan. I liked Spaulding's work on Horace Silver's "Jody Grind" but on the "Cookers" I found his playing-for lack of a better word-"abrasive" to my ears.

• 1 month later...

Here's the official lineup of this show at Yoshi's:

September 1 - 4

Night of the Cookers

Billy Harper, James Spaulding, John Hicks, Charles Tolliver, David Weiss, Roy McCurdy

Tha looks a lot more interesting than the line up I saw an Rochester this last June.

Hey, Roy is a hometown boy!

Edited by marcello

More than "kind'a sad" folks have to cling to a bad recording to get a gig.

So, Chuck, you see no redeeming value in this show?? Looks to me like they're putting together a blowing session in the spirit of the original concept (whether that was ultimately successful or not). You gotta admit, the original lineup was very promising ... and so is this.

• 1 month later...

Night of the Cookers is just a tag, a handle the club can put on the gig to promote it a bit.  Nothing wrong with that.  It's a cool title.  And good music or not, those were great musicians on that album.  Musicians working is the bottom line and ain't nothing wrong with that.

I suspect that James Spaulding had something to do with putting this together as he is the common thread between the original and this show.

Guest youmustbe

James has trouble with the Metro Card machine in the subway, so his ability to put a group together for a tour is way beyong his mental abilities.

And he will not be at Yoshi's.

I'll add James Spaulding to the list of people to whom youmustbe shows nothing but venomous disdain.

Let's recap:

1. Keith Jarrett

2. Wayne Shorter

3. Michelle Mercer

4. Al Jarreau

5. Kurt Elling

6. James Spaulding

I wonder how all these people feel about you.

Bertrand.

I'll add James Spaulding to the list of people to whom youmustbe shows nothing but venomous disdain.

Let's recap:

1. Keith Jarrett

2. Wayne Shorter

3. Michelle Mercer

4. Al Jarreau

5. Kurt Elling

6. James Spaulding

I wonder how all these people feel about you.

Bertrand.

....I love Jimmy's playing!

Guest akanalog

Let's recap:

1. Keith Jarrett

2. Wayne Shorter

3. Michelle Mercer

4. Al Jarreau

5. Kurt Elling

6. James Spaulding

i know what your point is, but i think it is unfair to get on someone just for disdaining kurt elling. or keith jarrett or al jarreau or michelle mercer. they all seem to be disdain-able. wayne shorter, yeah that seems mad ill to disdain him. james spaulding-like his playing, don't know the man.

Guest akanalog

i heard james spaulding a couple of years ago at the fairfield(?) jazz festival in connecticut.  he was wonderful!

i like your positive redirection of the direction of this thread. nice one!

and he can't be that dumb anyways-he is an improvising jazz musician.