Matt Wilson

montg

Has anyone heard this latest from Matt Wilson (on Palmetto)? I heard a cut on KCSM a few weeks ago that sounded good--one of those things where you catch a tune in the middle and keep hoping the announcer will ID it when it's over. And I noticed this CD is at the top of the Jaz radio charts (for whatever that's worth, probably not a lot these days). And Matt Wilson gets a lot of love in the most recent Penguin.

I don't have anything from Matt Wilson-- I'll probably go ahead and pick this up...does anybody have any thoughts about this CD? Or any other stuff from him?

B0002VGRCW.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Matt Wilson is a hip & crazy drummer - there is a DVD with his performance from some drummers' convention that I recommend. Where all the others set up monster kits with a dozen toms and fifty cymbals, he played some with just brushes on a snare, with his quartet buddies. Very original drummer, he swings and yet goes for the unconventional. Great accompanist too, in any context. One of the best drummers of his generation, IMHO, and his band is really together.