Groundtruther

cannonball-addict

For those of you connected to the more modern jazz avant-garde, you may have seen that Greg Osby has currently implicated himself in an interesting milieu along with 8-stringer Charlie Hunter and drummer/beatboxer Bobby Previte. It is on a label called Thirsty Ear, which pianist Matthew Shipp has a large hand in (he runs the Blue Series) - at least their jazzier stuff.

Most would consider this pure electronic mumbo-jumbo, but I think it's worthy of airplay so I play it almost every time I'm on the air - its a new release. Some of you may not know who Hunter is, but don't lose too many "hip" points for that. Previte and Osby, I am expecting everyone knows.

Anyways, as I have advertised here before, I am younger and open to a lot of genres - hip hop, electronica, IDM (just kidding), and even some alt. country.

Bottom line is - I think people should check out this record. However the problem may arise that its hard to find given the genre.

527840.jpg

c-addict, I've heard so many mixed things about this record, so I welcome your report... a friend of mine whose opinion I respect highly gives it great marks, and I'm strongly tempted to pick it up and give it a listen. (And I certainly know who Charlie Hunter is! My wife's a bigger fan than me, though... SONGS FROM THE ANALOG PLAYGROUND got a lot of airtime around our house for a good long while.)

ghost,

You have to have an open mind to electronica. Some of it is really interesting. The CD says 99% Live, 100% Improvised.

JohnL,

we are webcast. Go to www.wrct.org. I assume if you have access to IU Bloomington you can easily get our High Quality stream with good results. The sound is quite excellent. I don't have my own show right now. I hop on at random times. But I posted this in the Funny Rat thread (listen at 7-10 PM EST Sundays and that type of music will be played. Y'know. Art Lande. Peter Barshay. Brotzmann. Gustafsen. Von Schlippenbach. Louis Sclavis/Dave Douglas/Peggy Lee/Dylan Van Der Schyff. etc. etc.

ghost,

You have to have an open mind to electronica. Some of it is really interesting. The CD says 99% Live, 100% Improvised.

I do have an open mind to electronica and have long been fascinated by the impact it has & will have on jazz... it's just that another friend found the record dull. (The reviews I've seen have been mixed as well.) However, I've heard enough good things about it that I'll probably plunk the money down--I'm an Osby fan & am curious to hear him in this setting.