Favorite Cannonball Album

cannonball-addict

What is your favorite Cannonball recording (including Adderley Brothers)???  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Believe me,

I would have included many others but I figured these would ring the most bells. And I didn't wanna start getting all obscure. We could take it a step further and all say favorite solos he played on the records you choose.

eeeek!!!! So excited to see your replies. Been meaning to do this for a while.

Matt

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something Else. Hank Jones, Miles Davis....it doesn't get much better to these earholes.

I voted for Something Else as well.

Me too.

Yep.

Whenever I'm asked for recommendations as to where to start, which albums to listen to, etc., this album always makes the list. It's got it all, wonderful music and a great sound, to boot.

My favorite Cannonball is ususally the one I've listened to most recently. I really can't choose a favorite.

Right now, my most recently listened to Cannon is Fiddler On The Roof and I thought that was great! It's also one of my newly acquired Cannonball discs, but I think it's going to be in heavy rotation.

Among the discs I've had for many years, the ones that have recieved the heaviest play and have been revisited most often are Quintet In San Francisco, Something Else, Cannon and Trane, Greatest Hits (first on the Riverside LP and then on the Fantasy CD), Them Dirty Blues.... There may be some others....

...and then there's the Cannonball with Miles. Cannon doesn't suffer at all next to Trane. What a one-two combination !

Edited by Harold_Z

Hmmm. . . I wouldn't really put the Blue Note in my "favorites" list. . . but I really don't have a favorites list with Cannon. I think that more of the Mercury lps could stand to be on this list, and I really love "Them Dirty Blues" and the Riverside material with Teefsky. . . . So I'm firmly in the Harold Z camp! ^_^

Had to vote for Somethin' Else - although this is not "typical" Cannonball. Things would be second choice. Portrait of Cannonball is another favourite.

Now if you have left off this Blue Note from the list, people would have killed ya, but the poll would be a lot more interesting ...

Edited by mikeweil

"Cannonball Takes Charge." I also think he's in very fine form on most of Kenny Dorham's "Blue Spring" (as is Dorham), though that date as a whole is a bit limp and Keepnews-y at times, doesn't have the at once utterly locked-in/mellow/fiery feel of "Takes Charge." "Something Else" does have one of Cannonball's most effective solos ("Autumn Leaves"), and it's a wonderful record, but I think of it as more of a Miles album, even though Cannonball is the nominal leader. In fact, I'd say that Blakey has more to do with the overall feel of "Something Else" than Cannonball does.

It's most interesting, to me, that Somethin' Else is the 'Cannonball' album of choice in this poll. I'll agree that Somethin' Else is a good album. I'll agree that Somethin' Else is a good Blue Note album. Yes, it has Adderley's name on the cover and Adderley plays alto saxophone on the session. To my ears, however, Somethin' Else is the least 'Cannonball' of the choices on the poll. Somethin' Else brings images of it being Miles' attempt to recreate his Prestige series of Walkin'/Talkin'/Shoppin'/Pickin'/Grinnin'/Smokin'/Cookin'/Relaxin' albums on the Blue Note label. Blue Note decided to use the word somethin' in place of something. I mean, Relaxin', Steamin', Somethin', and Cookin'? Hmmm... let me think...

My choice for the best 'Cannonball' album is the Quintet in San Francisco. The live Cannonball dates are, to me, the essence of Julian Adderley.

It might be that my love of those Miles records contributes to my love of Somethin' Else. I also think that Miles and Cannon were really, really clicking during that session, and that Hank Jones was toiling around in there, too. It might not be as much of a "Cannonball" record than some of those others. I dig so much of his other output, from Savoy to Fantasy, BUT.... to me, S.Else just sounds and feels like the ultimate Cannonball record from beginning to end.

Portrait of Cannonball

Cannonball Takes Charge

Quintet at the Lighthouse

All good ones. But I thought they would be too obscure.

I'll divulge that my choice was Quintet in Chicago. Have people heard this album????? I can't believe no one else voted for this one. This is Miles group minus Miles. It's got Wabash, Limehouse Blues, Grand Central....a great gem.

:(:(:(

Edited by cannonball-addict

Not me. . . Heath and Kay just make Know What I Mean a bore for me. I much prefer many ohter dates to that, even stuff like "To the Ivy League from Nat" and "Jump for Joy" or "Great Love Themes"! And Somethin' Else just isn't in the top five for me either. . . not sure why.

I just listened to "Accent on Africa" and "74 Miles Away"--those are amazing albums!

I just listened to "Accent on Africa" and "74 Miles Away"--those are amazing albums!

I haven't heard the whole album, but "74 Miles Away" (the tune) is awesome. Cannonball's solo is intense -- maybe invents Gary Bartz's style.

Guy

Gary Bartz is an raw and emotional player but doesn't have anywhere as much technique as Cannonball did. Sangrey, back me up here!

Not me. . . Heath and Kay just make Know What I Mean a bore for me.

No kiddin'? Well, I can appreciate that, to each his own, & all that. For me, their sensitive backing is a highlight, especially on "Elsa," which IMHO is played in its definitive version on this album.

I guess in the end, Bill Evans sounds like he's making a concerted effort NOT to sound like "Bill Evans," and it works. To these ears, anyway! :)

Portrait of Cannonball

Cannonball Takes Charge

Quintet at the Lighthouse

All good ones. But I thought they would be too obscure.

Hmm... I didn't think of any of those as obscure (PORTRAIT OF CANNONBALL has been available as an OJC CD since 1989), however, you just reminded me that the other two (which I have as OOP Landmark CD's from 1986/87 icon13.gif:huh: ) have been out of circulation for an eternity!

I'll divulge that my choice was Quintet in Chicago. Have people heard this album????? I can't believe no one else voted for this one. This is Miles group minus Miles.

Great album, I've had multiple LP and CD versions. Maybe it gets fewer votes because of the spotlight-shifting presence of Trane (and the rest of Miles' group).