Favorite Cannonball Album

cannonball-addict

What is your favorite Cannonball recording (including Adderley Brothers)???  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sensitive is one thing Al. . . I find Kay and Heath really boring here. And I find Evans quite himself, but not "sparked" by a rhythm section that just plods. . . Cannon too is not as inspired as I think he could be.

But that's just me!

Edited by jazzbo

Sensitive is one thing Al. . . I find Kay and Heath really boring here. And I find Evans quite himself, but not "sparked" by a rhythm section that just plods. . . Cannon too is not as inspired as I think he could be.

But that's just me!

I agree but there are some catchy tunes on here and the rendition of Groovin' High is one I really enjoy.

Voted 'other' - My favourite Cannonball session is probably Gil Evans 'New Bottle, Old Wine' ( ^_^ ) but I particularly also like the material on the 'Sophisticated Swing' Emarcy sessions 2CD set. 'Cannonball Enroute' in particular has a great sense of drive, purpose and 'joie de vivre' about it.

Edited by sidewinder

If anyone has a lot of money to burn or a major university library at their disposal and wants a rather authoritative discography of Cannonball you can check out Chris Sheridan's "Dis Here: A Biodiscography of Julian 'Cannonball' Adderley" - kind of a biography of Cannon's life via a discography. Sheridan has written one on Monk too. It is available on Amazon UK here. or here for those in the States.

Edited by cannonball-addict

But that's just me!

This is where it's so fun to compare opinions on this stuff... Lon's description of "Know What I Mean" is exactly how I feel about Grant Green's "Am I Blue", which Lon likes. Jazz allows for all. :)

BTW, I do not hear any plodding on "Know What I Mean", just good ol' tasteful backing on a session of ballads.

Later,

Kevin

Portrait of Cannonball

Cannonball Takes Charge

Quintet at the Lighthouse

All good ones. But I thought they would be too obscure.

290a2.jpg245b2.jpg

290.jpg245.jpg

So... anybody else here own those Landmarks? I've forgotten who owns the rights now, and I'm wondering if they have much chance of resurfacing after being OOP for so long. The long OOP album with Eddie Vinson, also previously on Landmark, was reissued on Milestone a couple of years back (with an extra track that didn't appear on the Landmark CD).

I've forgotten who owns the rights now, and I'm wondering if they have much chance of resurfacing after being OOP for so long.

AFAIK Blue Note/Capitol has the rights now. Takes Charge has been released on CD in 2002

edit: this only applies to Takes Charge, I gues (?)

Edited by couw

Takes Charge has been released on CD in 2002

Don't know how I overlooked that. I guess my earlier post wasn't clear enough. :blink: Anyway, we can't call that one "obscure".

I must admit I never heard of these "Landmarks," they seem to be a well known series. Anyhow, on the back of the Takes Charge disk, it says that "when Cannonball signed to Capitol records in 1963 he brought 7 master tapes from his Riverside days with him. This is one of a series of Capitol Jazz CDs making those early classics available again."

So, is this Landmark series based on these tapes? If so, it seems BN has plans for them.

hhh-okay, I seem to have missed out on some of the recent BN output as well.

According to BN-dot-com we now have:

- Them Dirty Blues (Landmark Vol 1)

- Cannonball's BossaNova (Landmark Vol 2)

- Jazz Workshop Revisited (Landmark Vol 3)

- Poll Winners (Landmark Vol 4)

- Lighthouse (Landmark Vol 5)

- Takes Charge (Landmark Vol 6)

that covers the Landmarks, what's the 7th tape?

So, is this Landmark series based on these tapes?

Yes, but my memory sucks and I've never been one to closely follow the ownership battles over recordings. In this case it was something of a mess, because Fantasy did end up with the rights to some of the titles that came out on Landmark (like the Vinson). Somebody will enlighten us. Anyway, it's good to know that there are plans to release more.

Besides TAKES CHARGE, AT THE LIGHTHOUSE, and CLEANHEAD & CANNONBALL, THEM DIRTY BLUES is the other title that I still have as a Landmark issue.

I've forgotten who owns the rights now, and I'm wondering if they have much chance of resurfacing after being OOP for so long.

AFAIK Blue Note/Capitol has the rights now. Takes Charge has been released on CD in 2002

edit: this only applies to Takes Charge, I gues (?)

Capitol/EMI have the rights to the Riverside albums that Cannonball owned. They reissued most, if not all albums. I picked up these:

Cannonball Takes Charge - Capitol Jazz 34071; released in 2002

f42157dwe8t.jpg

Them Dirty Blues - Capitol Jazz 95447; released in 2000

e17989ju38h.jpg

Cannonball Adderley and the Poll-Winners - Capitol Jazz 20086; released in 1999

d57588sp0ti.jpg

The Cannonball Adderley Quintet at the Lighthouse - Capitol Jazz 31572; released in 2001

e7879264337.jpg

Edited by J.A.W.

I don't know what's more surprising- that I overlooked these reissues, or the fact that it's taking so long for people to correct the erroneous statements made earlier in this thread. :rolleyes: I guess when I see a CD in the racks that I already own, my eyes must gloss over or something. Any bonus material on these BN/Capitol reissues?

what's the 7th tape?

CLEANHEAD & CANNONBALL

this?

B00006EXJJ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

1.Bright Lights, Big City

2.This Time

3.Hold It!

4.Arriving Soon [instrumental]

5.Kidney Stew

6.Back Door Blues

7.Person to Person

8.Just a Dream