Favorite Cannonball Album

cannonball-addict

What is your favorite Cannonball recording (including Adderley Brothers)???  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Cannonball Takes Charge - Capitol Jazz 34071

If This Isn't Love

I Guess I'll Hang My Tears out to Dry

Serenata

I've Told Ev'ry Little Star

Barefoot Sunday Blues

Poor Butterfly

I Remember You

Barefoot Sunday Blues (alternate take)

I Remember You (alternate take)

Them Dirty Blues - Capitol Jazz 95447

Work Song

Jeannine

Easy Living

Them Dirty Blues

Dat Dere

Del Sasser

Soon

Work Song (alternate version)

Dat Dere (alternate take)

Cannonball Adderley and the Poll-Winners - Capitol Jazz 20086

The Chant

Lolita

Azule Serape

Au Privave

Yours Is My Heart Alone

Never Will I Marry

Au Privave (alternate take)

The Cannonball Adderley Quintet at the Lighthouse - Capitol Jazz 31572

Sack O'Woe

Big "P"

Blue Daniel

Azule Serape

Exodus

What Is This Thing Called Love?

Our Delight

Edited by J.A.W.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any bonus material on these BN/Capitol reissues?

check the links I posted earlier. The BN site mentions any bonus material

Thanks. They do mention bonus material, but it's the same old same old bonus material that was on the Landmarks.

Yeah, that's the C & C disc that came out on Milestone.

Fantasy did end up with the rights to some of the titles that came out on Landmark (like the Vinson).

Don't make me take back my comment about your brain. :D

Fantasy -> Milestone (not an OJC).

hey, that was just a little stitch I dropped for you to pick up and restore some faith in your mental abilities :w;)

anyhow, it seems ALL of the Landmarks are available on CD then.

Maybe there should be a new poll...

(and yes, Milestone, sorry 'bout that)

Fantasy did end up with the rights to some of the titles that came out on Landmark (like the Vinson).

Don't make me take back my comment about your brain. :D

Fantasy -> Milestone (not an OJC).

hey, that was just a little stitch I dropped for you to pick up and restore some faith in your mental abilities :w;)

It may be too late. :(

Maybe there should be a new poll...

Yeah, perhaps a poll to see which Landmark CD's I should replace with newer remasterings, despite the fact that I'd be buying the exact same music AGAIN. <_<

I don't know what's more surprising- that I overlooked these reissues, or the fact that it's taking so long for people to correct the erroneous statements made earlier in this thread.

Some people have got better things to do than proofread threads and posts...

I don't know what's more surprising- that I overlooked these reissues, or the fact that it's taking so long for people to correct the erroneous statements made earlier in this thread.

yeah, Hans is still working on that index for the Funny Rat thread

Whatever, but I sometimes wonder if people actually read very carefully. When those titles were referred to as "obscure" and I went on to say they hadn't been in print since the 80's, I would have thought somebody might have said something sooner.

Whatever, but I sometimes wonder if people actually read very carefully. When those titles were referred to as "obscure" and I went on to say they hadn't been in print since the 80's, I would have thought somebody might have said something sooner.

Well, I can only speak for myself, of course, but I don't have time to check out threads and posts every five minutes, and I didn't read your observations until just before I posted the info about the reissues. Sheesh...

Edited by J.A.W.

Am I alone in this? I have always felt that Cannonball did not fully realize his potential after leaving Miles. So I would say that none of his albums were his best.

I am not putting him down as a musician or a man. There is no question that he was an absolutely superb alto saxophonist. Not only was he a great, but he also played in tune! So many altoists have had miserable intonation.

This remark does not mean that I don't greatly enjoy his albums. I don't think I've ever heard a bad one.

I couldn't disagree more! I think that Cannon really came into his own, there was hardly a better alto saxophonist alive until he was no longer alive, and that he pursued his course as an artist, an entertainer and a teacher with steadfast progress from his appearance on the national scene to the close.

Kevin, plod is probably too strong and poorly chosen, but I do find that bass and drum team to often be just. . . perfunctory or "getting the job done" and I think Cannon and Bill both SHINE when they have more than that beneath them. I don't think either Bill or Cannon really shine on that date! "Am I Blue" is meant to be on the downlow. . . I don't think there's a real comparison for me. . . one succedes (Am I Blue) and one doesn't (Know What I Mean) at meeting their possible goals.

Jim: I have all the Landmark cds by Cannon and love them. I upgraded to ONE (Pollwinners) and then not any of the others because I didn't think that one was really a significant upgrade; the Landmarks sound pretty good.

Volume 7 in the Landmark series is Cannonball in Europe!, which was recorded live in Belgium in 1962. This album only came out in Europe originally; the Landmark release was the first U.S. release.

Landmark released it before Riverside? I thought it came out in the U.S. in the late 60's (Riv 499). Anyway, that's interesting. The Vinson album was released around the same time as the other Landmark CD's mentioned above, with the same "Reissued material courtesy of Capitol Records, Inc." credit...

Lon, thanks for the info (glad to hear it! :)).

Edited by Jim R

I'm less familiar with all the titles of the individual albums within the set but I really like the Verve 2-fer issued a few years back that included the early Emarcy stuff with Cannon and Nat Adderly, really bright, intelligent hard bop. I voted for this stuff.

The slightly earlier 2-fer on Savoy jointly credited to Cannon and Nat is also nice, if a little less fully realized.

I've also been digging the hell out of another Cannonball date for Emarcy - JUMP FOR JOY - recently, maybe not a masterpiece but really interesting stuff what with Duke's tunes, Bill Russo's contributions, and a great supporting cast.

Edited by DrJ

I'm less familiar with all the titles of the individual albums within the set but I really like the Verve 2-fer issued a few years back that included the early Emarcy stuff with Cannon and Nat Adderly, really bright, intelligent hard bop. I voted for this stuff.

To The Ivy League From Nat

Cannonball Enroute

Sophisticated Swing

Cannonball's Sharpshooters

I remember when that set came out, it was like "this is too good to be true". :)

I really like JUMP FOR JOY also, and the strings date it was paired with ain't exactly chopped liver, either.

Gil Evans' NEW BOTTLE, OLD WINE is another nice one.

Portrait of Cannonball

Cannonball Takes Charge

Quintet at the Lighthouse

All good ones. But I thought they would be too obscure.

I'll divulge that my choice was Quintet in Chicago. Have people heard this album????? I can't believe no one else voted for this one. This is Miles group minus Miles. It's got Wabash, Limehouse Blues, Grand Central....a great gem.

:(:(:(

I agree. I consider "Something Else" more of a Miles album than a Cannonball album. It has MD's fingerprints all over it. I voted for the Chicago album also.

Would it piss a lot of people off if I were to say that Cannonball made a lot of so-so albums? Sorry. There is a generic quality to much of his playing, and many of the albums. A few Cannonball albums go a long way.