#1 Worst

cannonball-addict

Which male singer in the list can you absolutely not stand?  

99 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

much as i hate to disagree with the master, i dig Bob Dorough!

B-)

you do too if you ever heard conjunction junction and/or i'm just a bill from schoolhouse rock! :g

btw i voted for elling. hes pretentious and just plain bad! ;)

I, too, must part ways with our own homegrown Obi-Wan (no sarcasm in that statement at all, I assure you) and say that I enjoy Dorough's Bethlehem record and some of his late Blue Note work. Haven't heard much material from his "lost" decades, and will agree that the Miles pairings are hard on the ears... I always skip over 'em in the Gil box. He is a bit of an acquired taste.

Any list of this type that excludes Bob Dorough is one that I refuse to take seriously.

How can you say this?

The man is the hippest son of Arkansas, ever.

With no lack of certainty, that's how! :g:g:g:g:g

Hipper that Pharoah Sanders?

Well, Pharoah's not really "hip", but you know what I mean.

• 2 years later...

For the original subject Michael Bublé would be a great subject for gratuitous insults.

For the subject suggested by mister O'Reilly, i'd go with Russell Malone.

OOh.. good on both counts.

I had the recent experience of hearing back-to-back the Sinatra/Buble versions"I've Got You Under My Skin". Even with the same fine chart, Buble just doesn't get it, which means he can't make it.

Russell is indeed a fine singer...

So, an old topic renewed. How about a new thread, concerning players who don't sing often, but should. I'll suggest two: Kenny Burrell, and Roy Hargrove. Others?

grady tate should, and did.

And frequently enough that I'd almost consider him A Singer, not just a great drummer.

I'm really thinking of the ones who only occasionally do it, and rarely on record. Maybe we can add George Shearing?

Yes. There are questions as to whether some of these guys can really be called jazz singers.

Instrumentalists singing/Humming/grunting along can/should not be called jazz singers.

Besides that, I don't mind if they do - Jarrett would be a lot more boring to me if he didn't .... ;)

The one singer that always makes me wish someone would have stuffed his mouth with a stocking at the session is Milt Jackson. Simply horrifying. Terrible vibrato. Urghh!!! :rcry:rmad:

aloc has a limelight vinyl, 'mjq at the museum of modern art', which may be the worst ever mjq recording for many reasons, including milt's extended 'vocal' version of, 'i saw a flying saucer.'

paying a nickle for that recording would be too much, and aloc bought it new at full price.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

I absolutely LURVE Milt Jackson's singing on "Soul believer". He could have been a serious rival to Charles Brown, had he wished. Did he make any other vocal albums? I want them, if he did.

Grady Tate, too, is a musician with a real voice.

Well, so is Ray Charles.

And so is Nat "King" Cole.

And Louis Jordan.

And actually, Q ain't too bad sometimes.

I think the musician who shouldn't have sung, but did, was Art Blakey.

MG

I absolutely LURVE Milt Jackson's singing on "Soul believer". He could have been a serious rival to Charles Brown, had he wished. Did he make any other vocal albums? I want them, if he did.

Yes, he did another one in Italy, on July 1964, with the Enrico Intra group ("Milt Jackson Sings").

Yes, he did another one in Italy, on July 1964, with the Enrico Intra group ("Milt Jackson Sings").

Thanks. I guess Amazon.de or .fr is likely to be the best place to search for that, is it?

MG

I voted "all of the above" though agree with many that Mahogony is an exception.

much as i hate to disagree with the master, i dig Bob Dorough!

B-)

you do too if you ever heard conjunction junction and/or i'm just a bill from schoolhouse rock! :g

By the way, it must be noted here that "I'm just a Bill" was written by Frishburg but sung by Jack Sheldon. "Conjunction Junction" was written by Dorough, sung by Sheldon. See Here