#1 Worst

cannonball-addict

Which male singer in the list can you absolutely not stand?  

99 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted "all of the above" though agree with many that Mahogony is an exception.

much as i hate to disagree with the master, i dig Bob Dorough!

B-)

you do too if you ever heard conjunction junction and/or i'm just a bill from schoolhouse rock! :g

By the way, it must be noted here that "I'm just a Bill" was written by Frishburg but sung by Jack Sheldon. "Conjunction Junction" was written by Dorough, sung by Sheldon. See Here

i didn't know that - :unsure:

surely dorough sang "three is a magic number"??!!!!

:cool:

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

B-)

you do too if you ever heard conjunction junction and/or i'm just a bill from schoolhouse rock! :g

btw i voted for elling. hes pretentious and just plain bad! ;)

aloc begs to politely differ.

bright moments thinks that he would rather listen to nails on a blackboard or a dentist's drill than elling!

:crazy:

B-)

btw i voted for elling. hes pretentious and just plain bad! ;)

aloc begs to politely differ.

bright moments thinks that he would rather listen to nails on a blackboard or a dentist's drill than elling!

:crazy:

I gather you too did not attend the last South Florida jazz concert that featured Elling at the Miniaci Center on the Nova campus. I've heard enough on disc (borrowed from the local library) to know that I wasn't up for a live experience.

Edited by MartyJazz

Pres should have sung more often... I love "Two to Tango"!

:rofl: Perfect example! Oscar Peterson is the pianist on that ditty. And he's a pretty good, if occasional, singer---

Oh yes, I recollect that on the LP "With respect to Nat", Oscar admitted that he started his career imitating (or perhaps trying to) Nat Cole. But almost everyone on the West Coast was doing that.

MG

Well, he's deceased now, so maybe he doesn't count. But I would listen to my Tony Williams Lifetime records more often if he didn't sing on them.

From the list I would choose John Pizzarelli. I have a Don Sebesky tribute to Bill Evans called I Remember Bill on which Pizzarelli sings a few times. He is very much out of place, and I can't imagine why he was invited to participate, unless RCA required it. Otherwise, it's a great album.

I voted "all of the above" though agree with many that Mahogony is an exception.

B-)

By the way, it must be noted here that "I'm just a Bill" was written by Frishburg but sung by Jack Sheldon. "Conjunction Junction" was written by Dorough, sung by Sheldon. See Here

Are people going to start dissing Jack Sheldon now? :)

Actually, I have to admit to not being familiar with most of the names on the list that started this thread. Maybe I should be thankful for that, I don't know.

Why not include Jon Hendricks? He's frequently off key.

I agree. It astounds me that on the very few jazz oriented TV programs broadcast on NPR, etc., featuring a variety of jazz artists, he invariably is invited. I cringe listening to him. I recently purchased a Benny Golson DVD off the Internet, unaware of the contents, and damn if he wasn't also included in that taped program. Watching and listening to Golson solo on his tunes, e.g., "Whisper Not" is wonderful, but the performances are marred with the addition of Hendricks.

Edited by MartyJazz

don't know if this was addressed earlier, but there IS another Lester Young vocal, on the tune Just a Little Bit North of South Carolina - I had a tape of it once from Phil Schaap, and I think it's on some CD somewhere -

Yes, a 1941 or 1942 item with unknown band and possibly Young singing... very, very bad sound quality, though...

Why not include Jon Hendricks? He's frequently off key.

Yeah, but so what? He has other virtues. I'd rather listen to Jon Hendricks off-key than Kurt Elling in tune.

But I tend to forgive off-key-ness more easily than most people.

I never heard any Elling (in fact Mahoganny is the only singer I've heard some of, years ago... of course Jarrett, too, but I'm not one of his general haters, not at all). Anyway, Hendricks is cool... enjoy him a lot, but then again I don't know much, except some of LH&R (and LH&B, including the fun "Jazz Casual" show), and his great Pacific album that came out again on CD recently.