Duke Pearson Tunes

cannonball-addict

Jeannine came up on one of the blindfold test CDs recently. I think it was Dan Gould's. Anyways, that song has totally hooked me. I already had the version from Cannonball's "Them Dirty Blues," but it never completely registered with me that that was Jeannine. Since then I got a version by Frank Vignola (w/ Junior Mance, Billy Mitchell), a version by Bud Powell w/ Don Byas, a version by Dr. Lonnie Smith (which seems to be another tune), a version by Donald Byrd (Vol 2. Live at the Half Note) and a version by Groove-Holmes. Am I missing any other really good ones?

Also what other memorable tunes did Duke Pearson write and what are some of his good albums?

Thanks

My personal favorite version of the classic tune "Jeannine" is on a fairly obscure Verve CD (I believe it was Japanese only but was distributed in the U.S. for a while) called ALTO MEMORIES from 1995 with Gary Bartz and Sonny Fortune in the front line, Kenny Barron on piano, and I'm not sure but I think Al Foster is on drums and Buster Williams on bass. Bartz and Fortune absolutely tear it up. The whole CD is fantastic, by the way, full of passionate playing and beautifully (simply) recorded.