sheldonm

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim Pugh? as in "crew", "Fru", "Brew"?

Yes

Really? Everywhere in the anglo-saxon world? :unsure:

Those "Pughs" I've "heard" by their names sounded more like "Pews" or "Hughs", really ...

But not like Winnie the Pooh ...

OK, it's pyoo, but all those words have the same vowel sound: crew, fru, brew, Pugh, Hugh.

OK, it's pyoo, but all those words have the same vowel sound: crew, fru, brew, Pugh, Hugh.

That's exactly what I meant, and maybe we've been misunderstanding each other.

As you confirm, "Pugh" therefore is pronounced "pyoo", just like Brew Moore is NOT pronunoced "Bryoo" Moore. Hence my question.

Because the key aspect to me seemed to be that the (pronounced or not pronounced) phonetic "y" is part of the pronunication of the entire WORD.

See what I mean, King Ubu?

I wasn't making fun at all, just trying to elucidate this:

You pronounce "Pugh" like "pyoo" and NOT like "pooh",

just like you pronounce "Brew" like "Broo" and NOT like "Bryoo".

Therefore "Brew" (or "Fru") IMO wasn't the ideal analogy with "Pugh".

And the smilie I met with my example of "pew" sounding like "Pugh" was just because Jim Pewter (google him if you like ...) was a character in music too but FAR removed from jazz. ;)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Yep, that's understood - and hence my question to Steve!

Certainly Pugh and Hugh are pronounced pyoo and hyoo on this side of the Atlantic (Pugh is a Welsh name, by the way) but we'll wait till the Americans wake up to confirm it's the same there. You know what I mean - seeing that Duke is dyook here, but dook over there. Can't imagine he's called Jim Pooh, mind you. :)

Certainly Pugh and Hugh are pronounced pyoo and hyoo on this side of the Atlantic (Pugh is a Welsh name, by the way) but we'll wait till the Americans wake up to confirm it's the same there. You know what I mean - seeing that Duke is dyook here, but dook over there. Can't imagine he's called Jim Pooh, mind you. :)

Speaking of which and carrying this one step further, how would "King Ubu" be pronounced, then?

"King Oo-boo(h)" or "King "Yewboo"?

(Nah, just kidding ... ;))

Hugh (properly spelt Huw) is a Welsh name, too.

MG

"Roâ übü", then? Oh my ... ^_^

Kind of, but more like übü roâ really :)

père ubu is okay, too, though biologically I'm no one's père

Huw Warren I've heard on the radio. That spelling makes more sense, I couldn't really see any other options how to pronounce it.

But what's the proper spelling of Pugh then, Pew? That's not exactly a funny name ... Herr Kirchenbank, in German :)

Huw Warren I've heard on the radio. That spelling makes more sense, I couldn't really see any other options how to pronounce it.

But what's the proper spelling of Pugh then, Pew? That's not exactly a funny name ... Herr Kirchenbank, in German :)

Exists in English, too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_Pew

Exists in English, too:

Pantagruelian - how's that? :crazy:

In German, it doesn't exist at all, of course, but I assume you were just making fun anyway!

Exists in English, too:

Pantagruelian - how's that? :crazy:

In German, it doesn't exist at all, of course, but I assume you were just making fun anyway!

Thinking about it, there are certainly many spellings of Celtic names. Allan is spelt like that in Scotland, where I was born, but Alan in England, Alun in Wales and Alain in Brittany. They all mean harmony.

MG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...