How do you pronounce.........

sheldonm

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Bob Enevoldsen's last name? (Thanks, btw, to all who've replied... there are several book and online guides for classical pronouncers, but so far I've found only one very incomplete online resource for jazz names).

E-nuh-vold-sin

Edited by jtaylor

Bob Enevoldsen's last name? (Thanks, btw, to all who've replied... there are several book and online guides for classical pronouncers, but so far I've found only one very incomplete online resource for jazz names).

E-nuh-vold-sin

No way. Enevoldsen is a Danish name. Pronounce it like the Italian 'bene' without the 'b'. The last E, I suppose, is silent.

E-nuh-vold-sin

No way. Enevoldsen is a Danish name. Pronounce it like the Italian 'bene' without the 'b'. The last E, I suppose, is silent.

Kinda like "enema"? :cool:

E-nuh-vold-sin

Kinda like "enema"? :cool:

Exactly! :party:

E-nuh-vold-sin

That was the way one of his former colleagues pronounced it to me.

E-nuh-vold-sin

That was the way one of his former colleagues pronounced it to me.

Always wondered about that one myself.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Otomo Yoshihide? :blink:

Just a guess, but based on what I've learned from my Japan-obsessed friend who married a Japanes native, it would be something like this:

Oh-toh-moh Yoh-shee-hee-duh. In my understanding, Japanese tends to give equal emphasis to all of the syllables, thus none of them are stressed more than others.

Guest Bill Barton

Otomo Yoshihide? :blink:

Just a guess, but based on what I've learned from my Japan-obsessed friend who married a Japanes native, it would be something like this:

Oh-toh-moh Yoh-shee-hee-duh. In my understanding, Japanese tends to give equal emphasis to all of the syllables, thus none of them are stressed more than others.

Thanks, Kalo, that's pretty close to my "best guess" too.

Japanese tends to give equal emphasis to all of the syllables, thus none of them are stressed more than others.
Whoa....you better ask yer friend again about this 'cause what makes Japanese a mountain to climb for English speaking folks is

that it doesn't equally emphasize all of the syllables! I spent many days just trying to learn the proper way to pronounce "Ryoanji"

this summer and the inflections have to be just right.