Welcome

cannonball-addict

Gee, my very own thread. Thanks guyz (two Hankensteins!), I'm flattered.

mikeweil Posted on Nov 29 2004, 07:39 PM

Welcome aboard! Heard your playing first on Johnny Griffin's CDs and still like it a lot! Anything else on CD after that?

(Stoopid question!!! Just checked your website ...  )

Duh... <_<

Glad you liked the Griff dates. Are they still in print?? Too bad we never made a live date. The recordings don't even come close!

Going in the studio with Frank Wess next week.

Bright Moments - was at Rahsaan's last gig in Bloomington, IN.

Happy to post more often.

Michael

Gee, my very own thread. Thanks guyz (two Hankensteins!), I'm flattered.

mikeweil Posted on Nov 29 2004, 07:39 PM

Welcome aboard! Heard your playing first on Johnny Griffin's CDs and still like it a lot! Anything else on CD after that?

(Stoopid question!!! Just checked your website ...  )

Duh... <_<

Glad you liked the Griff dates. Are they still in print?? Too bad we never made a live date. The recordings don't even come close!

Going in the studio with Frank Wess next week.

Bright Moments - was at Rahsaan's last gig in Bloomington, IN.

Happy to post more often.

Michael

Michael,

I back up Joe Bourne as a jazz DJ at WFIU and am hoping to do a show on that last Kirk gig sometime. Welcome to the board, and please keep us posted on your new releases!

Hi Brad,

The Bud Powell project with Barry was very enjoyable. We spent two afternoons up at WKCR with the liner notes editor, Peter Pullman (great name!). We listened to every track (all takes) and the tape recorder recorded our conversations and observations. The funny part about it is that when I saw the transcript, there was no reference to when we said what, so by itself the commentary made no sense:

MW:"Wow, did you hear that...."

BH: "Oh shit...."

BH: "They shouldn't have released that...."

MW: "Oh man, there's that b9 on the major 7th chord...."

I went back and put time-references to the comments so people would at least have some idea of what we were talking about.

Barry and I often have musical dialogues over the phone while at our pianos in Weehawken and Brooklyn respectively. Over the years, it's become a very important musical relationship for me. Not many people have the kind of appreciation for the beauty of melody and voice leading as Barry has.

As far as Barry participating in a web forum, I think that's a long shot.

Hi David (WFIU guy),

You guys have my last CD, Soul Journey. Do you have a tape from the Roland Kirk concert? You may have answered Bright Moment's prayers.

In the late seventies, there was a small committee of a few musicians, including myself, Dave Miller, Cliff Tinder, who were lobbying the I.U. Auditorium people to bring jazz musicians other than Dave Brubeck, the Preservation Hall Jazz Band and Al Hirt to Bloomington (you get the picture?). We brought Dexter and then Roland Kirk. The same stuffy bureaucrat that we had to fight with to bring Rahsaan to IU was the one driving him to the airport the morning after the concert when he died in the car!

Give Joe Bourne my regards.

Come over and visit my page at that other webforum, AAJ.

Hi David (WFIU guy),

You guys have my last CD, Soul Journey. Do you have a tape from the Roland Kirk concert? You may have answered Bright Moment's prayers.

In the late seventies, there was a small committee of a few musicians, including myself, Dave Miller, Cliff Tinder, who were lobbying the I.U. Auditorium people to bring jazz musicians other than Dave Brubeck, the Preservation Hall Jazz Band and Al Hirt to Bloomington (you get the picture?). We brought Dexter and then Roland Kirk. The same stuffy bureaucrat that we had to fight with to bring Rahsaan to IU was the one driving him to the airport the morning after the concert when he died in the car!

what an amazing story! thanks for sharing it.

B-)

i would love to hear a tape of that last concert!!! :excited:

Hi David (WFIU guy),

Michael, yeah, in fact I think I remember talking to you on the phone about that CD when Joe was on leave... Joe & I drove up to see Benny Golson last night and I passed along your regards. David Miller was at that show too--he still runs Jazz Fables every Thursday night at Bear's. Tom Moeller (who sadly passed away a couple of years ago) gave me a tape of the Dexter show, but I haven't come across one yet of RRK's last gig. Haven't dug too seriously for it yet, though...

And I, too, really enjoyed your & Barry's comments in the Bud Powell booklet--bought that the day it came out. Hope Peter's bio eventually comes out as well.

• 2 months later...

To Johnny Griffin fans:

Griff is returning to the US for a brief trip next month: We'll be at the Blue Note, NYC on March 15-16. The regular quartet with John Webber and Kenny Washington. Griff then plays a concert in Chicago on March 19 with the Chicago Jazz Ensemble. He hasn't played stateside in almost three years.

To Johnny Griffin fans:

Griff is returning to the US for a brief trip next month: We'll be at the Blue Note, NYC on March 15-16. The regular quartet with John Webber and Kenny Washington. Griff then plays a concert in Chicago on March 19 with the Chicago Jazz Ensemble. He hasn't played stateside in almost three years.

It's good to know Griffin is playing in Chicago.. I'll see if I can make it. I live in west Mchigan about 3 hrs fron Chicago..

By the way, Adam Nussbaum is a member on this board though I haven't seen any posts of his lately..

Chuck Nessa Posted on Feb 16 2005, 08:35 PM

Hello Michael. Post regularly and argue with (insult) some of the people here. Soon it will feel like home.

I drop in a post now and then. I'm not interested in creating a commotion, but if I can add some useful information I will. However, I'm always willing to answer any questions posed to me. Thanks for the invite, Chuck.