• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my latest acquisitions, all as of yet unplayed:

Jimmy Heath - The Thumper

Jimmy Heath - On the Trail

Jimmy Heath - Triple Threat

JATP All Stars - Carnegie Hall 1949 (the set with Fats Navarro, Hawkins and Sonny Criss)

Tiny Grimes - Blue Goove (w/Hawkins)

Gigi Gryce - The Rat Race Blues

and yesterday on sale - both Universal Yurp new pressings:

Stan Getz - Quartets

Stan Getz/Al Haig - Prezervation

(I've had the Roost box for years and bought "Early Stan" when zweitausendeins had their ZYX/OJC sale... also have the Verve "Plays", so these two should come in handily to complete the picture of early Stan!)

Those early Getz sides for Prestige are great! Early Stan is the only one still missing from my collection.

Make sure you get the Al Haig Trio / Sextets disc (now out of print) and the "Brothers" Getz/Sims disc, too.

I have the Brothers disc, but not yet the Haig...

Long Island Sound!

Actually, ubu, you might also want to get Getz's Savoy and Sittin' In With sessions, to complete the picture of early Stan. One way of doing that is to get the first Classics volume, 1946-1949.

Hm, those I definitely don't have yet... was there a Savoy CD (in those Denon violet tray series, or even a later digipack one)? And what is "Sittin' In With"? I assume not the album that came out as digipack in the Universal LPR series (with Gonsalves etc)?

hm, just answering the second part myself... wasn't aware jazzdisco also have a hack Getz disco up:

Stan Getz Quintet

Stan Getz (ts) Al Haig (p) Jimmy Raney (g -1/7) Clyde Lombardi (b) Charlie Perry (d)

NYC, October 25 & 26, 1948

1. C121-1 Pardon My Bop, I Dale EP 201; Dale LP 21; Spotlite [E] SPJ 140; Mainstream MDCD 722

2. C121-2 Pardon My Bop, II -

3. C121-3 Pardon My Bop, III Sittin' in with 532; Jade 702; Spotlite [E] SPJ 140

4. C122 As I Live And I Bop (Bopcycle) Sittin' in with 505; Jax 5002; Dale LP 21; Spotlite [E] SPJ 140; Mainstream MRL 364, MDCD 722

5. - As I Live And I Bop (alt. take) Mainstream MDCD 722

6. C123 Interlude In Bebop (Bopelbath) Sittin' in with 549; Jade 702; Dale EP 201; Dale LP 21; Spotlite [E] SPJ 140

7. - Interlude In Bebop Sittin' in with 505; Dale EP 200; Dale LP 21; Mainstream MRL 364, MDCD 722

8. C124 Diaper Pin (Pinhead) Sittin' in with 532; Dale EP 200; Dale LP 21; Spotlite [E] SPJ 140; Mainstream MDCD 722

9. - Diaper Pin Sittin' in with 549; Dale EP 201; Dale LP 21; Spotlite [E] SPJ 140; Mainstream MRL 364, MDCD 722

* Al Haig Meets The Master Saxes, Vol. 2 (Spotlite [E] SPJ 140)

* Various Artists - Yesterday (Mainstream MRL 364)

* Various Artists - A Look At Yesterday (Mainstream MDCD 722)

* Stan Getz - Stan In Retrospect (Dale LP 21)

* Stan Getz - Pardon My Bop c/w Interlude In Bebop (Jade 702)

* Stan Getz - Bopcycle c/w Flugelbird (Jax 5002)

* Stan Getz Quintet (no details) (Dale EP 201; Sittin' in with 532, 505, 549; Dale EP 200)

Then Savoy:

Stan Getz Octet

Earl Swope (tb) Stan Getz, Zoot Sims (ts) Al Cohn (ts, arr) Duke Jordan (p) Jimmy Raney (g) Mert Oliver (b) Charlie Perry (d)

NYC, May 2, 1949

S36-126 Stan Getz Along (alt. take) Savoy SJL 2210

- Stan Getz Along Savoy 966, XP 8021, MG 9004, MG 12105, SJL 1105

S36-127 Stan's Mood (alt. take) Savoy SJL 2210

- Stan's Mood Savoy 966, XP 8021, MG 9022, MG 12105, SJL 1105

S36-128 Slow (alt. take) Savoy SJL 2210

- Slow Savoy 967, XP 8020, MG 9004, MG 12105, SJL 1105

S36-129 Fast (alt. take) Savoy SJL 2210

- Fast Savoy 947, XP 8020, MG 9004, MG 12105, SJL 1105

* Various Artists - Brothers And Other Mothers (Savoy SJL 2210)

* Various Artists - Lestorian Mode (Savoy MG 12105)

* Stan Getz - Opus De Bop (Savoy SJL 1105)

* Stan Getz Beboppers (Savoy MG 9004)

* Various Artists - Birth Of The Bop, Vol. 1 (Savoy MG 9022)

* Stan Getz - New Trends In Jazz, Vol. 2 (Savoy XP 8021)

* Stan Getz - New Trends In Jazz, Vol. 1 (Savoy XP 8020)

* Stan Getz - Stan Getz Along c/w Stan's Mood (Savoy 966)

* Charlie Parker - Klaunstance c/w Stan Getz - Slow (Savoy 967)

* J.J. Johnson - Audubon c/w Stan Getz - Fast (Savoy 947)

Quite a mess, all of those sessions (or rather the way how they have been released... at least the Roost material was collected in a nice way!) - will have to look for that Classics disc, then, thanks!

Yeah Chuck, that's the stuff~! :tup

The Savoy compilation is great (and complete). I got the "Sittin' In With" material on a

CD called "A Look at Yesterday" from Mainstream Records, but that one's hard to find.

I think it's the only legitimate CD release of those tracks though. The disc also includes

some tunes featuring Wardell Gray, John Hardee (both backed by Al Haig like Getz)

and a Paul Quinichette session. I think Definitive Records compiled the Getz and Gray stuff

together with some of the Prestige sides on a CD called "Al Haig Meets the Master Bop Saxes"

• 14 years later...

Almost 15 years after the last post in this thread...and OJCs these days are relatively scarce. As an example of used market price change over the years, Dusty Groove is currently offering Sam Jones' Soul Society for $33🧐 eBay, of course, always has a number of absurd prices. For music, I shop Amazon less and less.

I was looking over my OJC collection this week, and realized some titles that I thought I had physical copies of...I actually don't. 😑

Anyone still quietly filling holes in their OJC holdings?

4 hours ago, Late said:

Almost 15 years after the last post in this thread...and OJCs these days are relatively scarce. As an example of used market price change over the years, Dusty Groove is currently offering Sam Jones' Soul Society for $33🧐 eBay, of course, always has a number of absurd prices. For music, I shop Amazon less and less.

I was looking over my OJC collection this week, and realized some titles that I thought I had physical copies of...I actually don't. 😑

I still am though I’m not actively looking. 

On 6/20/2007 at 9:22 AM, AndrewHill said:

Just saw that Sonny Simmon's Burning Spirits is OOP now. What a great set. And this one was just released within the last four years or so. At least Firebirds is still here...for now :alien:

On 6/20/2007 at 8:51 AM, paul secor said:

An OJC must if you don't have it is "Hawk Eyes with Coleman Hawkins and Charie Shavers. 

Looks like someone was prescient. At least he hasn't said, "I told you so." :cool:

3 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

I don't think that Sam Jones title legally streams and that's probably the reason for the price (probably a rarer OJC as well). Jones' discography on streaming platforms seems pretty small as well. 

Fresh Sound has a great set of his Riverside albums.

Edited by felser

18 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

I several cases Fresh Sound did a better job in compiling sessions than Fantasy themselves did, or Craft will  ever do.

Totally agree.  Fantasy was starting to do some beautiful sets right before they sold out to Concord, such as the three Trane boxes, the Bill Evans Vanguard box, the Miles 1st Classic Quintet box, etc.

22 minutes ago, felser said:

Totally agree.  Fantasy was starting to do some beautiful sets right before they sold out to Concord, such as the three Trane boxes, the Bill Evans Vanguard box, the Miles 1st Classic Quintet box, etc.

Yes, and I have read that all the box sets Concord released after they acquired Fantasy already were conceived by the Fantasy team.

7 hours ago, Late said:

Of course, whenever I see a reasonably priced copy.

A friend of mine is helping someone sell off a large collection. He's starting with about 300 OJCs, many are in mint/near-mint condition, and quite a few are still sealed.

The sale will be live on YouTube next Saturday. I can post more info this week, if anyone's interested. There are no conditions for joining the feed.

20 hours ago, BFrank said:

A friend of mine is helping someone sell off a large collection. He's starting with about 300 OJCs, many are in mint/near-mint condition, and quite a few are still sealed.

The sale will be live on YouTube next Saturday. I can post more info this week, if anyone's interested. There are no conditions for joining the feed.

That would be fun to watch!