Feb 15 RVGs

scottb

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care who wanted the change. This is near the top of the list for overly sensitive stupidity. Gee, the title is what it is and was - so get on with it as it, is or forget it altogether.

I don't understand what the offense is about the title of the album.

Neither do I. It's the name of a city. Where's the offense????

And the album was named almost 40 years ago. Hell, as obscure as this album is - it's any wonder than anyone would ever even notice, let alone be offended.

Personally, I'm with Jim Dye. This is BULLSHIT if from the reissue program itself orf the parent company. I never would have expected that from this reissue program.

UNBELIEVABLE.

I really don't personally believe this came from the artist. I smell smoke.

Doesn't matter to me as far as the material goes. . . I have th JRVG! ^_^:P B-)

Edited by jazzbo

And the album was named almost 40 years ago. Hell, as obscure as this album is - it's any wonder than anyone would ever even notice, let alone be offended.

Surely you're kidding here, right? You honestly think in this country right now that no one would be offended by this title?? I think there would be an outrage in certain quarters. There are people out there who's lives are consumed with finding stuff like this to vent their anger on. It'd probably get made into posters and carried around at the next World Trade Conference with references to EMI's corporate "attitude".

BTW, I never thought of it before, but Basra is held by the British and EMI, Blue Note's parent compnay, is British.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't agree and I checked the calendar to make sure it wasn't April 1st when Michael told me this. I figured it had to be a joke. But it isn't. It's an indication of the world we're living in.

Later,

Kevin

I don't care who wanted the change. This is near the top of the list for overly sensitive stupidity. Gee, the title is what it is and was - so get on with it as it, is or forget it altogether.

Absolutely! And still can't believe that Blue Note is shying away from the title!

The only plus is that the resale value of my original BN mono vinyl of this is climbing :lol:

It'd probably get made into posters and carried around at the next World Trade Conference with references to EMI's corporate "attitude".

It's an all-instrumental jazz album, that was named almost 40 years ago. No political statement is being made in the title, nor can one be interpreted from the titles of songs on the record. Nothing in the original liner-notes is the least bit offensive.

I doubt it would generate any controversy at all. Seriously.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I believe there would be people who would believe that EMI released this title now, during the war in Iraq, on purpose. That's what I think. I think it's absolutely ridiculous but you know, nothing surprises me any more. Hell, there'd probably be people boycotting Norah Jones concerts and manning picket lines with signs saying, "Support the Troops". She'd start getting mentioned in the same breath as the Dixie Chicks. :D

Later,

Kevin

And the album was named almost 40 years ago.  Hell, as obscure as this album is - it's any wonder than anyone would ever even notice, let alone be offended.

Surely you're kidding here, right? You honestly think in this country right now that no one would be offended by this title?? I think there would be an outrage in certain quarters. There are people out there who's lives are consumed with finding stuff like this to vent their anger on. It'd probably get made into posters and carried around at the next World Trade Conference with references to EMI's corporate "attitude".

BTW, I never thought of it before, but Basra is held by the British and EMI, Blue Note's parent compnay, is British.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't agree and I checked the calendar to make sure it wasn't April 1st when Michael told me this. I figured it had to be a joke. But it isn't. It's an indication of the world we're living in.

Later,

Kevin

How many people even know that this album exists? Pete Laroca is not exactly a household name, right? Even people who are fairly into jazz may not have heard of him. I'd say 99.9% of the U.S. population would not even notice that this album is in stores, let alone show "outrage" about the title. It was released in the mid-1960s, it's being re-issued, what's the problem? Should we change history just so that no one is offended? I'm with Lon, this is pure bullshit and it can't be reasoned otherwise. I can't believe someone would try to defend BN's position on this one. I really wanted to hear this because I've heard Joe Henderson's reading of "Lazy Afternoon" was one for the ages. Guess I'll have to wait some more. :rmad:

Edited by pryan

I can't believe someone would try to defend BN's position on this one.

Re-read this thread. It's not BN's call (though ultimately it could be). If the artist doesn't want to do something -- then MC respects the artist's wishes. MC and Tom sure didn't try to put the dampers on this thing, and it's not like they're caving into preasure from some "outside group".

If it was only up to BN -- it would be on store shelves today.

I guess some nutjobs could get bent about the title, but let's remember the facts:

1 - Nobody from Basra bombed the WTC.

Actually, where's the love for Basra? That's a place we've "liberated" - American's should be proud. When they see that title, they can be reminded of the noble liberation of Iraq from the "thugs and terrorists". How could any red, white, and blue blooded American be offended by the album title. Remember, mission accomplished. I hear the people of Basra are now eating apple pie and driving Chevys. Soon they'll be believing in Jesus. Hallelujah!!!!

This is their greatest hour. We're the great liberators. They've had their elections. They're FREE.

2 - Where's the outrage towards the Saudis? Heck, most of the terrorists where from that country.

3 - There's no proof that Iraq was even involved.

4 - I'd be more offended that our leaders haven't done everything they could to get the real culprit, Bin Laden.

5 - People who buy Toby Keith records probably don't buy Blue Note reissues.

I guess we're back in the McCarthy fifties... :ph34r:

USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's an all-instrumental jazz album, that was named almost 40 years ago.  No political statement is being made in the title, nor can one be interpreted from the titles of songs on the record.  Nothing in the original liner-notes is the least bit offensive.

I doubt it would generate any controversy at all.  Seriously.

I agree. If people on this Board (who have had a thing or two to say about the war in Iraq) don't make an immediate connection, then who will? And besides, how many people are browsing in Pete La Roca bins in the record (or on-line) stores? 90% would be people who already know the CD and its title. Surely very few (if any) people who look at the CD or contemplate buying it would be offended by the title. The bigger surprise (or offense) would be to see it renamed. I say BN should just forget it.

The politics forum enters an RVG thread ...

Just put Tyra Banks on the cover. If the poor record is going to receive the 21st Century spin — may as well go all the way.

Now that I think about it, I'm very offended that I own the JRVG. Curses ... it's time to play the music and throw away that adorable miniaturized facsimile cover.

The politics forum enters an RVG thread ...

Just put Tyra Banks on the cover. If the poor record is going to receive the 21st Century spin — may as well go all the way.

Now that I think about it, I'm very offended that I own the JRVG. Curses ... it's time to play the music and throw away that adorable miniaturized facsimile cover.

I deleted my cover. I forgot this wasn't the Politics forum. :ph34r:

I've never known what BASRA meant. I assumed it was an African term. Perhaps an African nickname. I mean, I was, once upon a time, trying to learn the meaning of ENITNERRUT. I thought it was an African term too. :wacko:

I don't much care about the title of the Pete Sims album. I desire the music that's on the inside. However, I'd rather not see Blue Note decide to change the cover of an 'old' album due to a 'current' political situation. It seems dumber than dumb to do so.

Sometimes I want to give a big thumbs-down to the powers-that-be at Blue Note. :tdown

Well, we know for a fact that a good number of al-Qaeda (and other) terrorists regularly passed through Tunisia, so it'll really hit the fan if that Blakey RVG isn't renamed 'A Night in Istanbul' !! :rolleyes:

Tunisia! With the current regime there, very much doubt know terrorists would have been allowed in that country without facing immediate arrest. The 2002 attack on the synagogue at Djerba had no followup.

Morocco and Algeria would be the two North African countries where Al Qaeda sympathizers would be able to roam, incognito of course.

Now how about renaming 'Casablanca' the movie?

Back when I was told that Basra was getting reissued in the RVG series, I joked with Michael Cuscuna about it, saying something like, "They're going to let you put out a CD titled Basra"? We had a good laugh. However, we both made the connection right away.

I never expected that my little joke would come back to haunt me like this.

I blame the political environment we're living with today. Saying or doing anything that can be "linked" with the war in Iraq immediately labels you. It's a sad statement of political correctness run amok.

Later,

kevin

Well, we know for a fact that a good number of al-Qaeda (and other)  terrorists regularly passed through Tunisia, so it'll really hit the fan if that Blakey RVG isn't renamed 'A Night in Istanbul' !!  :rolleyes:

Tunisia! With the current regime there, very much doubt know terrorists would have been allowed in that country without facing immediate arrest. The 2002 attack on the synagogue at Djerba had no followup.

Morocco and Algeria would be the two North African countries where Al Qaeda sympathizers would be able to roam, incognito of course.

Now how about renaming 'Casablanca' the movie?

:excited::excited:

Don't give them any ideas.

Next thing you know, they'll be burning copies of Bob Hope and Bing Crosby's The Road to Morocco.

or...

Jimi Hendrix' AXIS Bold As Love might be equated to the Axis of Evil.

:excited::excited:

Time to dig a hole and climb into it. :blink::wacko: