Feb 15 RVGs

scottb

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ray-- whatchu talkin' 'bout, Son? I assume Pete LaRoca Sims, Pettifogger, is ANTI-war & that this is his fucked in the head form of protest. If you reread my comment, that's why I am challenging his anti-war bona fides. Also, while never underestimating human stupidity, the # of people who'd even know of this record's existence who'd also take "offense"-- for what possible reason?!-- has to be so small as to be virtually ZERO & believe me, I spend PLENTY o' time around dipshits with flag stickers, yellow ribbons, goddamn jesus fish on their cars & trucks. Also folks w/What Would Bubba Do? & Save a Mouse, Eat Pussy, etc. bumperstickers-- the south is a muy colorful place.

Side note: "Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia" dvd FINALLY out in a month or so...

(when do we get "Pat Garrett"?)

No Basra, No Peace! No Basra, No Peace!

warren oates jr. jr.

new iberia, louisiana

Not only do I understand Clem's post, but I think I agree with it entirely!

Stop the world, I wanna get off now! :lol:

I'm with you Ray.

I'm with you Ray and Lon!

:g

The south isn't the only colorful place anymore. You see that same crap in California. :ph34r:

I also agree that no one who would have bought this reissue is going to be so stupid to be offended by the title. If he was anti-war, Sims missed a golden opportunity to share his feelings with the reissue of this album. All he had to do was dedicate it to the people of Basra to make a statement

Received Hi Voltage today. I'm now listening to this music for the first time ever, and man oh man, this is GREAT stuff. Beautiful sound, solid playing, everything just right. Heartwarming and soul stirring. :tup:tup

High Voltage was the first Hank lead outing I bought--on vinyl. You're absolutely right, John--hearing that for the first time just knocked me out. It was probably the fifth or sixth record I got (after Blue Train, Takin' Off, and a couple of others). The spirit (only way to describe it) was high the day they recorded High Voltage, no question!

:tup

I bought "Basra" today, my local record store had it prominently displayed in the 'new releases' section. I don't think anyone takes offence at the title over here in Europe...

I had never heard this record before (I'm pretty new to jazz), but I'm listening to it right now, and I really like what I'm hearing. :)

Basra is an all-time BN classic. If it had been released as a Joe Henderson session it would have been much better known. This situation with release OK in Europe but not the US is just beyond belief !

You know...

Why don't they just change it to a Joe Henderson album... I bet his family wouldn't get all uptight...

It's not like it hasn't been done before... There's that Cecil Taylor session that became a Coltrane album...

Problem solved. :g

(Just kidding :P )

Why don't they just change it to a Joe Henderson album... I bet his family wouldn't get all uptight...

It's not like it hasn't been done before... There's that Cecil Taylor session that became a Coltrane album...

Actually... I'm just joking.

I would never want to see something like this happen to an artist's work.

The Basra RVG (copyprotected) will be released in Germany on March 7, unless this is based on old information. The cover print seems to be ready.

http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00076NYB4/

B00076NYB4.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B00076NYB4.03.BACK.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

As far as the dicussion on the title is concerned, I completely fail to see how the reissue could create a controversy. How could it possibly be seen as a political comment or insensible act?

Even if the artist himself wanted it, the decision to delay or rename the release is just stupid.

Basra is an all-time BN classic. If it had been released as a Joe Henderson session it would have been much better known. This situation with release OK in Europe but not the US is just beyond belief !

You know...

It's happened to Pete before, Turkish Woman at the Baths was re-issued as a Chick Corea album "Bliss"

You know...

It's happened to Pete before, Turkish Woman at the Baths was re-issued as a Chick Corea album "Bliss"

Ouch!

I was only joking... I think it would be really sad if such a thing happened.

As far as the dicussion on the title is concerned, I completely fail to see how the reissue could create a controversy. How could it possibly be seen as a political comment or insensible act?

Exactly. Who could possibly be offended?? People who were for the war?? People who were against??

I have yet to see any explaination, that in any way clarifies how anyone could be offended.