VSOP Mercury Box Set

spinlps

This was a beautiful box when it came out in 1984. It was widely available around then. It did contain a lot of unissued sides but most of these have shown up in other releases by now. Audio was very good too!

The Clifford Brown/Max Roach EP bonus was not included in the original release.

Shortly before that Mercury box, Polydor Japan released in 1983 a 4LP box 'The Verve Collectors' Item' that included rare material from Bud Powell, Slim Gaillard, Barney Kessel, Illinois Jaquet and others. Most of these sides have also showed up on later CD reissues.

Thanks Brownie! I figured at least some tracks had been released as bonus tracks, but I don't buy much on CD that I have on vinyl already. Guess that's one way to justify the expense eh?

Dr. J. To be honest, I'm not sure what it's going to cost me with exchange rates, VAT vs no VAT tax etc... My guess is between $140 - 150. I checked ebay for completed auctions, but didn't find any.

If your calculations are correct, not too shabby a price given the scarcity of this LP set and the quality of the sonics/music. Nice buy, keep us posted on your thoughts please!

Well, it looks like my calcs are off. The site doesn't charge VAT so the actual price is higher than I thought. Oh well, I've only seen one other copy for sale so it should be worth the cost.

Sidewinder... can't spin 45's? Why not?

Probably has a Linn LP12 w/o Lingo motor.

The Valhalla model only spins 'em at 33.

I have same tt/motor, but use a pulley attachment and seperate belt to spin at 45rpm.

Cool set btw, enjoy.

Thanks for the info wolff. I'm using a Spacedeck myself, but may have an LP12 available for rebuild so I may experience this in a couple of months.

Looking forward to that set myself. :D

I have same tt/motor, but use a pulley attachment and seperate belt to spin at 45rpm.

Cool set btw, enjoy.

No, I have the Lingo :) Are you saying I can set this thing to spin 45rpm?

Will still need to get the spindle adapter though....

After a few big vinyl buys of late I'm broke so this one had to be passed up.. ;):rolleyes:

Cool set btw, enjoy.

After a few big vinyl buys of late I'm broke so this one had to be passed up.. ;):rolleyes:

You are joking, right? Lingo is 33/45.

Hold the on/off button down to switch to 45rpm. No adaptor needed.

Cool set btw, enjoy.

You are joking, right? Lingo is 33/45.

Hold the on/off button down to switch to 45rpm. No adaptor needed.

No joke ;) - never had an instruction book for this unit.

In fact I've only one 45 (a Miles Davis 'Great Expectations') so one of these days I'll give it a shot..

Check out the Linn web site or e-mail them with any questions.  IIRC the light gets darker or changes color at 45rpm.

Wolff is right, if you push the button on the turntable the light is redand gets darker when the tt reaches the correct speed at 33rpm, if you hold the button the light becomes green, when the tt reaches the correct speed at 45 rpm the green light gets darker. Anyway you can download the instruction in PDF format at Linn website: http://www.linn.co.uk/

Edited by porcy62

Thanks.  I'll look at getting hold of the spindle adapter and then maybe give my Miles single a spin. Possibly now worth looking at getting hold of some Sun Ra Saturn singles? !

You do not need a spindle adaptor.

Erm - I think I do for singles that are missing the centre bit ! Looks like there are plenty of them up on ebay.

• 2 weeks later...