Pat Metheny Quote

Jazz Kat

The following is a quote by guitarist Pat Metheny, about his reactions towards the Ken Burns Jazz Documentary.

"It's nice to know where your history came from, but jazz is about moving foward."

Do you agree with that. I mean, it is nice when jazz moves on and is kept fresh but, I got the idea that Metheny doesn't want to listen to or play the likes of Miles Davis and John Coltrane. I don't know how to explain it, but that quote just gets me going, and I practically lost all my repsect for him.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I never said he was dissing bebop or Coltrane. I just thought he didn't have respect for the guys who are playing bebop now, in the present day.

The term "dis" is slang for "disrespect" so dissing and not having respect for something is one and the same.

In any case, I don't know where you got the notion that because Metheny expects the music to evolve and move forward that he is somehow disrespecting Miles or Coltrane (two of the most progressive and forward thinking musicians of the genre). Both began in bebop but then pushed the music into different places, instead of just staying within the confines of bebop. In other words, they moved forward, just like Metheny said.

If the music becomes stagnant, it will die.

JK it might be worth saying that Pat has a tremendous love of Miles and Trane, especially Miles. "Four and More" was the record that got Pat into jazz. And before you cast any more distaste for Metheny, please check out his new album "The Way Up" on January 25th, it is a monumental work in his catalog.

Edited by CJ Shearn

B3er, both Miles and Trane are dead and do not play be bop now, the present day.

Just thought I'd point to some qualifiers in Jazz Kat's post (welcome to the board to him BTW), before you get into a hissie fit jumping up and down on things he never said.

;)

Um.... what are you talking about?

I just thought he didn't have respect for the guys who are playing bebop now, in the present day.

I never said he was dissing bebop or Coltrane. I just thought he didn't have respect for the guys who are playing bebop now, in the present day.

... I don't know where you got the notion that because Metheny expects the music to evolve and move forward that he is somehow disrespecting Miles or Coltrane (two of the most progressive and forward thinking musicians of the genre).

:unsure:

I enjoy the history of jazz. I enjoy Miles Davis and John Coltrane. With the exception of certain recordings here and there, my enjoyment of more recent jazz releases ends circa 1972. I tried to enjoy the jazz players of the 1980s but could never find a way to appreciate them much. My memory of the 1980s jazz players is that they were highly skilled in playing their instruments but had no real style of their own.

I've watched the first four episodes of the Ken Burns 'Jazz' series. Keeping in mind that the series was written for and presented to the general public, not solely to a bunch of jazz aficionados, the 'Jazz' series has been, to me, quite good.

Pat Metheny, to me, has been a shining light in the modern day of jazz. He was there in the 1980s and has been there ever since. Metheny is the only modern day jazz musician who still gets me to buy his records. To my ears, Metheny took all that came before him -- modernized it, popularized it, linked the past to the future, and created a style all his own.

Metheny has kept the music moving forward while few others have had the same influence in recent years. I hear all kinds of 'new' things in Pat's music. I hear 'old' things as well.

yep, Pat's created a style of his own. If he wasn't a giant of jazz today then why would luminaries like Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, Michael Brecker, Dave Holland, Roy Haynes, Jack DeJohnette, Kenny Garrett, all have him on their records or concert projects?

Metheny, Pat 8/12/1954

Corea, Chick 6/12/1941

Hancock, Herbie 4/12/1940

Brecker, Michael 3/29/1949

Holland, Dave 10/1/1946

Haynes, Roy 3/13/1926

DeJohnette, Jack 8/9/1942

Garrett, Kenny 10/9/1960

Interesting list. Did any of these guys record with Metheny before he hired Brecker and DeJohnette for 80/81? (Except for Garrett!)

The following is a quote by guitarist Pat Metheny, about his reactions towards the Ken Burns Jazz Documentary.

"It's nice to know where your history came from, but jazz is about moving foward."

Do you agree with that. I mean, it is nice when jazz moves on and is kept fresh but, I got the idea that Metheny doesn't want to listen to or play the likes of Miles Davis and John Coltrane. I don't know how to explain it, but that quote just gets me going, and I practically lost all my repsect for him.

What's the context of the quote? Where did it come from?

:rfr

I think the quote makes perfect sense even if taken completely out of its original context/discussion, and I happen to totally agree with it.

The only caveat is that "moving forward" is open to some interpretation. I think there's two flavors (basically - with infinite gradations within each):

- Innovation - "dig the new breed"

- Refinement (a la Louis Armstrong in his later career) of a particular sound or style until nothing but the essence remains

So a younger player that might choose to play within a fairly well-circumscribed set of rules that might define a style (hard bop, whatever) that does the latter is still moving things forward in my view.

The main point seems to me that it's pointless to simply repeat what's already been done over and over again. As Canadian pop/rocker Bruce Cockburn once said in a song, "The trouble with normal is it always gets worse."