Oscar Peterson Live at the Blue Note

CJ Shearn

FABULOUS. :tup:tup:tup Also includes Bobby Durham, Peterson's drummer in the late '60's. The music is great, the sound is great, and it's great to have these guys back together after 30 years. They're all in terrific form, and it's a great set of live club straight-ahead jazz. :w

(Did I mention that it's GREAT?)

Edited by Ron S

There was a typically heavily qualified review of this set in the new Jazz Times, where the reviewer basically spends the majority of the review afraid to say anything too positive about Peterson for some apparent fear of incurring the wrath of anyone hip or cool or "in the know" about "real" jazz. Even with all that baggage, he found it impossible to avoid saying some really nice things!

I'm interested...not a huge Peterson fan but certain recordings really hit me and those I'd rank very highly indeed. This seems like a great opportunity to get acquainted with later period Oscar.

Edited by DrJ

I have the original four CDs which comprise this set ... I have seen no mention as to whether these have been "enhanced" in any way ... after all they are not that old ...  Is this true?

Thanks in advance ...

My understanding is that they are the same cd's (not enhanced) originally issued in the early '90's, just packaged together for the first time (and in a nice, slim digipack box, by the way). These are early '90's Telarc digital recordings, and live up to Telarc's reputation for great digital engineering and sound.

I have the original four CDs which comprise this set ... I have seen no mention as to whether these have been "enhanced" in any way ... after all they are not that old ...  Is this true?

Thanks in advance ...

My understanding is that they are the same cd's (not enhanced) originally issued in the early '90's, just packaged together for the first time (and in a nice, slim digipack box, by the way). These are early '90's Telarc digital recordings, and live up to Telarc's reputation for great digital engineering and sound.

Damn! I was so looking forward to spending $30 on something I already have .. and I do so love boxed sets!

Edited by garthsj

Thanks in advance ...

Damn! I was so looking forward to spending $30 on something I already have .. and I do so love boxed sets!

Don't give up yet! Apparently there are some extra tracks included in the box set (I don't have the original CD's, so I'd have to compare online). You can see Telarc's page on this set here, which includes a complete listing and samples of all tracks, and excerpts from a bunch of press reviews. :tup