interesting/significant "expanded" CD reissues????

Rooster_Ties

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adhering to the "no jazz" request in the header, my favourite expanded CD reissue is 'The Velvet Underground and Nico' 2CD version containing the stereo and mono versions of the original release, plus some tracks from Nico's 'Chelsea Girl'. One of the truly essential rock recordings.

The Legacy edition of Santana's first album is killer. Contains the original album remastered, plus another earlier version of the the first album with extra tracks that was deemed too "jammy" to be released. If that's not enough you also get their complete performance at Woodstock. A really fine document of this early incarnation of the band.

I just noticed that this is now in yourmusic.com. I just ordered it for $9.98!! The best part is, I was going to use my Borders 25% coupon to go get it today (full price was probably somewhere between $24-29), but the snowstorm kept me home. Out of curiosity I was checking the yourmusic.com site for new additions, and there it was!! Fantastic!

Another one I just remembered......and am listening to it now:

g37876d6i1l.jpg

The Byrds - "(Untitled/Unissued)"

- The first disk is the original "(Untitled)" album and the second is alternate takes and more live stuff.

Yes, I was going to mention that nearly all of the Byrds' albums have been nicely expanded on the latest CD re-issues and are among my favorites in this category. Others that come to mind are the Who's MY GENERATION and the Ramones' LEAVE HOME, which has an amazing live 1976 gig from California to round it out. Speaking of the Kinks, I'm not enough of a fanatic to pick up that new 3-CD VILLAGE set, but I did snap up nearly all of the Castle re-issues that came out several years ago--nicely expanded versions of SOMETHING ELSE, FACE TO FACE, VILLAGE GREEN, etc., and would recommend those to anybody who's a fan. As for the Velvets, I still have FULLY LOADED on my radar.

The Legacy edition of Santana's first album is killer. Contains the original album remastered, plus another earlier version of the the first album with extra tracks that was deemed too "jammy" to be released. If that's not enough you also get their complete performance at Woodstock. A really fine document of this early incarnation of the band.

I agree- I just got this today from yourmusic.com (only 3 days after I ordered it!! wow!)-the extra tunes from the sessions are quite "jammy", probably a good decision to leave them off the original release as they aren't all that interesting for the most part, although the bonus Treat is outstanding. And the Woodstock performances are blistering!!! My oh my they were really inspired or something that day. Carlos has a nice raunchy tone on the Woodstock Jingo

The Legacy edition of Santana's first album is killer.  Contains the original album remastered, plus another earlier version of the the first album with extra tracks that was deemed too "jammy" to be released.  If that's not enough you also get their complete performance at Woodstock.  A really fine document of this early incarnation of the band.

I agree- I just got this today from yourmusic.com (only 3 days after I ordered it!! wow!)-the extra tunes from the sessions are quite "jammy", probably a good decision to leave them off the original release as they aren't all that interesting for the most part, although the bonus Treat is outstanding. And the Woodstock performances are blistering!!! My oh my they were really inspired or something that day. Carlos has a nice raunchy tone on the Woodstock Jingo

I remember reading an interview with Carlos who admitted to being on LSD that day. He wasn't expecting to go on right away but they moved the bands appearance up right about the time Carlos was peaking. He said that he prayed to keep in tempo and time. In your opinion did he succeed?

after one listen so far, I'd say yes indeed. The whole band really sounds ON. I didn't listen close enough to notice any tempo differences, but everyone sounds like they are really responding to each other. I had no idea their entire Woodstock performance was this good. I will be going back to this one a lot! :g

I have the Gaye - What's Goin' On Deluxe Edition and it's amazing. The 'Detroit Mix' is absolutely mind blowing.

Another Motown release has caught my eye...

supremeswdolg_cd_large.jpg

Where Did Our Love Go (40th Anniversary Edition)

It's a 2 disc set with both the Mono and Stereo versions of the album, 19 bonus tracks from the sessions, AND a live concert to boot!

$40 bucks, but it looks great.

Another Motown release coming soon from Hip-o-select is this:

motownsingles1_cd_large.jpg

It's outside the scope of this thread, but OH BOY!!

• 2 months later...

The recent Pavement reissues have added tonz o' "album-era" performances otherwise only available as B-sides, on EPs, if you happened to tape John Peel's program that night, etc. SLANTED AND ENCHANTED benefits greatly from this approach.

Have ya seen the same treatment given to their album Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain? If so, whattya think? I'd like to get that Luxe & Reduxe, the sound clips at Amazon RAWK!!!

Another good one that I recently got is Sonic Youth's Dirty. The instrumental jams that make up the bulk of side two are mesmerizing without being boring or pretentious. Very worthwhile!

The Legacy edition of Santana's first album is killer.  Contains the original album remastered, plus another earlier version of the the first album with extra tracks that was deemed too "jammy" to be released.  If that's not enough you also get their complete performance at Woodstock.  A really fine document of this early incarnation of the band.

I remember reading an interview with Carlos who admitted to being on LSD that day. He wasn't expecting to go on right away but they moved the bands appearance up right about the time Carlos was peaking. He said that he prayed to keep in tempo and time. In your opinion did he succeed?

I recently picked this one up myself. Nice set - ALL of it.

I like the various versions of these tunes. They all bring something different to the table.

While I like having the whole Woodstock gig in the Deluxe package, a part of me wonders why they could not have got it right the first time around: the whole album, as well as the whole Woodstock gig, fits nicely on one CD. I could do without the studio jams (they go nowhere for me), and the rough demo of the first album shows why Bob Livingston had to go. Talk about no "there" there!

I, however, am happy to be in the minority in the above opinions! B-)

I'm a sucker for these but often far from delighted. Generally the more they have, the less relevant they are?

The Kinks Village Green is fine (and generally fairly cheap so you get plenty for your money) but the entire second cd is Mono versions and missable imho. The best of it all would fit on one disc.

Marvin Gaye Whats Going on is great and even though the live stuff is underrehearsed its a treat to hear.

Agreed on the Byrds issues esp Untitled/Unissued.

Pavement's Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain is excellent with loads of quality extras. So much so I've yet to get to disc 2!

Not yet mentioned is John Martyn's One World Deluxe a classic album (complete on one disc) with some nice live material and bonus stuff on the other. Every home should have one.

Edited by fent99

• 2 months later...

I have the deluxe 2-disc edition of Yes - Tales from Topographic Oceans. Aside from the original double LP, it includes fascinating demos of two of the LP-side length tracks. Here, they sound much more like a gutsy rock 'n' roll band than I ever imagined.

I know practically the entire Elvis Costello catalog is being reissued in radically expanded releases, with full-length bonus discs (I've even got a couple of them).

Timely post - I just got Elvis' Imperial Bedroom and Punch the Clock CDs yesterday. I've only listened to the Punch bonus disc and there's a lot of great material on it - live cuts, rehearsal tapes, demos - even a cover of a Yoko Ono song! :wacko: But the best part is that the booklets for each CD are like volumes in a book, with EC telling stories (most of them involving alcohol) about what was going on during the periods that the original albums were recorded and released. Unfortunately, the Armed Forces booklet had a cliffhanger ending with Bebe Buell showing up on EC's London doorstep, and my re-reissue of Get Happy didn't continue the story. The Nashville stories about the Almost Blue recording sessions are great. When EC writes his autobiography, it should be a very entertaining read.

Costello started writing excellent liner notes back when Rykodisc was doing their reissue campaign. The first few ("My Aim is True" through "Armed Forces") were very brief, but then (with the reissue of "Get Happy!!") they started getting longer and longer, and better and better. The Rhino reissues have only continued the trend. I was VERY glad Rhino simply reprinted the liners from the Rykodisc "Punch the Clock," which was my favorite of the Ryko series (his critique of the Falklands War is savage). I've often wished that Costello would write a book. He's a great wit.

The Village Green Preservation Society by the Kinks is out in a 3-CD deluxe version.  Among other things I believe it contains lot's of BBC sessions.  I've been meaning to pick this one up for quite some time.

I prefer the version on Sanctuary, which has the original 15 track album in mono AND an alternate 12 track stereo version (originally delivered by Davies before he withdrew it and recorded a bunch of other tracks). Plus its all on one disc! Great sound too. I have all of the Kinks albums on Santuary through "Village Green," and I love 'em. I do own albums like "Arthur," "Lola," and "Muswell Hillbillies," but I still have them only in vinyl. Each disc has tons of bonus material and decent liners. Well worth checking out...

Costello started writing excellent liner notes back when Rykodisc was doing their reissue campaign.  The first few ("My Aim is True" through "Armed Forces") were very brief, but then (with the reissue of "Get Happy!!") they started getting longer and longer, and better and better.  The Rhino reissues have only continued the trend.  I was VERY glad Rhino simply reprinted the liners from the Rykodisc "Punch the Clock," which was my favorite of the Ryko series (his critique of the Falklands War is savage).  I've often wished that Costello would write a book.  He's a great wit.

I agree. I even bought the expanded Goodbye Cruel World (most dated production EVER-so 80s!!) just to continue the story!! Actually the second disc is a lot better than the album-as-issued