Is this possible title for a radio show offensive?

ghost of miles

Do you think some listeners would be offended by a show titled "Even White Girls Get the Blues?"  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well, I'm mulling over my March Night Lights programs (the listings are due next week) and the title I've come up with for one gives me pause. I'm going to feature Jo Stafford's BALLAD OF THE BLUES, Julie London's ABOUT THE BLUES, and Lee Wiley's A TOUCH OF THE BLUES--all late-1950s records by white singers (although I realize Wiley was part Native American). Do you think said title might be offensive to some listeners? Night Lights airs weekly on Bloomington's NPR member station, and there's usually a show-specific promo including the title that runs during the week preceding the show.

Edited by ghost of miles

Unless the point you're going to make in the show is that these are white singers singing the blues, I would come up with something else. Its not that its offensive, its that its not a great title, IMO.

Dan, I'm hurt! ;)

The point of the program--such as it is in my head at this point--is that there was this small run of "blues" concept LPs by white female singers in the late 1950s... singers we would not normally associate with the blues.

Unless the point you're going to make in the show is that these are white singers singing the blues, I would come up with something else.  Its not that its offensive, its that its not a great title, IMO.

Dan, I'm hurt! ;)

The point of the program--such as it is in my head at this point--is that there was this small run of "blues" concept LPs by white female singers in the late 1950s... singers we would not normally associate with the blues.

Then go with your title.

Would you like a copy of Dinah Sings Some Blues With the Red Norvo Quintet? Seriously-it really does exist, and it surely fits. You haven't lived til you've heard Dinah Shore sing "I ain't Got Nothin' But The Blues"!

I haven't a clue how other people would take it, but I can tell you how I would: Unless you have something substantive to say about race, then I would wonder why you even mentioned it in your broadcast, let alone used it for a segment title. It would strike me as gratuitous hook. On the other hand, if you had some trenchant things to say about race and culture and music, then I'd be all ears. However, even then, I think you can come up with a better title, since the pun on "Even Colored Girls..." is too predictable for me.

Edited by Cornelius

That's right. I got mixed up with 'For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When The Rainbow Is Enuf'.

The subject of white females singing blues is a good one. I don't know what commentary ghost of miles has planned, so I'm just saying that he should have some good commentary if he's going to make race the theme of the segment and especially if race is in the title of the segment. (I'm just making clear that I'm not discouraging the concept.)

Edited by Cornelius

Here's a good one -

"What Did I Do To Be So White & Blue?"

:g

Actually, I think the original title is just fine. Yeah, the pun is predictable, but familiar enough to the general public to make the point as to what the theme of the show will be (and it, like other themes this show has put forth, is an interesting and uncliched one). I think the Offense Factor should be minimal, and easily dealt with should it arise.

Or you could always call it, in a reference to Lester Young, "Pounded Cake". Now THAT would be offensive! :g

Seriously, if you know your audience, you should know what will or will not pull tehm in, as well as what will or will not be potentially offensive. Proceed accordingly, I'd say.

How about "White Noise?" Just kidding - thematically, I've always thought it was interesting how blues began to permeate white pop music in the 1940s and after, through Peggy Lee, et al - and I would look at black singers like Lil Green or Ella Johnson as representative of the beginning of this kind of cross-fertilization. My only problem with your title is that it seems a little old hat, and has been said already - it might be time to come up with a new angle, but damned if I know what it is -

Edited by AllenLowe

Your title suggests that white girls get the blues less that blacks. In that sense, there is a touch of racism implied. Or at least someone could interpret it that way. "Everybody gets the blues" is race normal and would not generate any complaints. I am a university professor, and I have to tell you that I have to be very, very careful what I say and how I say it. Sad, but true.

Dennis

Blues In The White

Honky Tonk Blues Without The Tonk

Blues In The Key Of Honk

The Caucasian Blues Circle

White Bitches Blues

The Blues Are Ofay With Me!

I'm Dreaming Of A White Blusiness

All White Blues

The Blues Are All White With Me!

The Turquoises: Blues With More White In Them

Maybe do a show on fat blues singers: The Be Fat Blues

Maybe a show on all white groups: I'm Ofay, You're Ofay. Let's Play!

Gay blues players: Blues Out Of The Closet

Edited by Cornelius