Are there any brothers up in here?

cannonball-addict

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure that I completely understand... the somewhat negative responses to the thread by some...

I don't understand why people get so bent out of shape when this question is asked.

I dont get why people are taking so much offense to this thread. The man just aked if any brothers in the house.

Me four...

Who cares?

Would it change anything if we knew who was what? What if it actually did?!

My friend from Kurdistan calls me "bra", which means brother in his language. On the other hand, he doesn't like Arabs ... this won't lead us anywhere. I find it more thrilling to not know what race or whatever you call it the others are.

If all men were brothers, would you let one marry your sister?

I didn't find the question offensive, just silly. If you have to ask.....

...besides, would you read posts differently if you knew the poster's ancestry? Have you not learned that all black people do not think alike any more than all whites, Arabs, Asians, etc. do.

I repeat... silly question, IMO

Well, if you go by the old southern "one drop of blood" bit, I'm Black. On the other hand, appearance wise, I make a Scandinavian like Chris look African. (Okay, maybe that's a bit extreme!) Plus I was raised with no knowledge that my great-great grandfather was the black sheep of the family in more ways than one. You tell me what I am; I haven't a clue. ;)

On the other hand, I don't understand why people get so bent out of shape when this question is asked. Perhaps those screaming 'racism' should look within once in a while...

That means you're all black in my book Moose! ;)

While we are on this subject...my great grandfather and a couple of my uncles were said to have quite a few "illegitimate" children with black West Indians. These kids were born in the 1920s up to perhaps the 1950s in the islands. That means I've got quite a few black cousins.

I never knew any of them. They all lived in the smaller islands while I lived in Jamaica. I have visited Montserrat and Antigua a few times and probably met a few of them as a kid, but I don't remember. Unfortunately, for the most part, the two races went their separate ways.

are there any single sistas out there?

DR SS1  :g  :wacko:  :g

RainyDay, I believe -- but she hasn't been around in quite some time. So maybe no longer single???

RainyDay hasn't posted here since November 4 last year, but she's posting quite a bit over on JazzCorner.

I think she was chased away by our posters who contributed to the "Playboy" thread.

;)

Funny, but somewhat stupid thread.

Most of my black friends (past and present) can't stand jazz and would never consider it their music in any shape or form, even if they were into it . They'd be insulted if you assumed they had a special insight due to their race.

If this was 1930 or 1940 it might be a bit different.

I'm pretty sure the only thing that matters is, "Can the guy play?"

A few months back I saw Andrew Hill at the Albright-Knox Art Gallery in Buffalo.  Blacks in attendance, not counting Hill and band?  Less than ten.

If you're asking whay more blacks don't hang out on this board, I haven't a clue.  Maybe they have better things to do with their time.  A better question might be: why so few balcks in attendance at the Hill concert.  Was it the venue?  A hoity-toity art gallery?  The white man's province?  (Tongue partially in cheek.)

If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say that the disparity between black and white attendance at jazz concerts boils mostly down to income and similar demographic factors. If you took two people, one black and one white but otherwise identical, they'd have about the same probability of being jazz fans.

I think the same conclusions can probably be drawn for the Organissimo website.

Guy

Edited by Guy Berger

Funny, but somewhat stupid thread.

Most of my black friends (past and present) can't stand jazz and would never consider it their music in any shape or form, even if they were into it . They'd be insulted if you assumed they had a special insight due to their race.

If this was 1930 or 1940 it might be a bit different.

I'm pretty sure the only thing that matters is, "Can the guy play?"

Reminds me of the Yes Dear episode wher Greg has tickets to a jazz festival, (the worst episode in history of tv by the way; most insulting to the greatest art form of all, I stoppped watching the show after that one aired by the way) Anyway, Greg wants someone to go with him, and naturally, to make fun of jazz, they make no one say yes. But anyway, he asks a black person if he likes jazz. His response, "Because I'm black?" :lol: