Are there any brothers up in here?

cannonball-addict

If you'd only be willing to put in the hours necessary to keep abreast of TV culture, THEN you'd be able to contribute to these board discussions. As it is, you're left on the outside, looking in.

At least watch ET!

:w

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't watch this stuff anymore. Forgive me.

So, now I'm an really old fart.

My wife and I "de-cableized" several years ago. Hey, it's $500 more a year to spend on jazz CDs, and the ol' brain rot decelerates.

There are at least several African-Americans that I'm aware of who post here. I once chided a poster for saying of James Carter, "The boy can play," only to find out from another poster that said poster was African-American... which certainly did make a difference.

Jazz Kat: Seriously, tell me (us) more about that episode.

PITIFUL!!!!!!

K, here's the scoop from beginning to finish:

Greg, (father/husband) walks in the door. They live with their friends. He's all happy and says guess what I got? Everyone's all smiley, "what" "what" "what is it Greg?" I have..... "yes?" "tickets" "yes" "to..." "WHAT!!!'' " A jazz festival!"

"oh,"

then he's like who wants to come with me, everyone's like "Oh, well I gotta do something and shit. He's like nobody wants to go with me? And Jimmy, the other husband says, "greg, I hate jazz!"

Throughout the episode, he's trying to find someone to go with him. This is the part where, he asks at work if people want to go with him. He asks a black guy, and you know....

So greg's wife finds an add saying, like need a friend? and she reads the description. "Look Greg, a guy into jazz. Mingus, Coltrane, Davis, blah blah blha." Exactly what she says. the audience cracks up. I'm like cursing at the screen.

Then they meet, blah blah blah the guy is this real nerd. I guess they wanted to make fun of jazz even more by making a little scrony nerdy white boy the "only" other jazz fan in LA. The show's usual stupid ass comedy blah blah, the show ends. Never watched it again.

There are at least several African-Americans that I'm aware of who post here. I once chided a poster for saying of James Carter, "The boy can play," only to find out from another poster that said poster was African-American... which certainly did make a difference.

Yeah I remember that. I was the one chided.

Somehow, the thread asking whether or not there were any blacks on the board has dwindled into a thread about an episode of "Yes Dear"....

...so to answer your question...Yes, dear.  This is a board full of white guys.

:g

You do have a point!

~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks Jazz Kat for the synopsis.

Saying blacks play jazz better because black people created jazz is basically irrelevant in today's times. The people who "invented" it, (I dont like that term) were black yes, but long gone. They're not playing jazz anymore, so just because someone is black nowadays doesn't mean they have the advantage. We've covered this, but, yeah....

Saying blacks play jazz better because black people created jazz is basically irrelevant in today's times. The people who "invented" it, (I dont like that term) were black yes, but long gone. They're not playing jazz anymore, so just because someone is black nowadays doesn't mean they have the advantage. We've covered this, but, yeah....

You have missed more than the point. Sad response, I must say.

Are you looking for the "advantage"?

Who are these artists "not jazz playing anymore"?

Better backtrack quickly son.

My wife and I "de-cableized" several years ago.  Hey, it's $500 more a year to spend on jazz CDs, and the ol' brain rot decelerates.

this is something I seriously need to do too. Congratulations!!

Aw, he's all talk! ;) Just wait 'til he & Mrs. Ghost have a few kids and they start getting sitters to swing in so that they can have a night out to check the new Fahrenheit 911, Part 12. I'm sure she'll be happy to sit there all night flipping through National Geographic and a few old Mosaic catalogues. :P

My wife and I "de-cableized" several years ago.  Hey, it's $500 more a year to spend on jazz CDs, and the ol' brain rot decelerates.

Aw, he's all talk! ;) Just wait 'til he & Mrs. Ghost have a few kids and they start getting sitters to swing in so that they can have a night out to check the new Fahrenheit 911, Part 12. I'm sure she'll be happy to sit there all night flipping through National Geographic and a few old Mosaic catalogues. :P

More like old New York Review of Books and Mosaic catalogues. Hey, it's no problem finding literate, liberal babysitters in Bloomington... yes indeedy, what we got here is a re-gu-lar oasis of enlightenment. Course'n you gotta keep the kiddies away from the medicine cabinet... they're a little too curious when it comes to mood-altering substances! :excited::ph34r:

Well, it's a little strange, I have to admit. I feel pretty disconnected now from TV culture and hear about it word-of-mouth (such as Desperate Housewives... what's all the hoopla about that, anyhoo?). But I don't really miss it. I get more of a kick out of buying DVD boxes of old shows like The Dick Van Dyke Show, The World at War, and Peter Gunn (thanks to relyles), and watching a few episodes of those at my leisure... and I have high hopes that a DVD release of Hill Street Blues is imminent. But yeah, I'll trade cable for $500 worth of jazz CDs any time! It's weird... whenever I go to my father's house and watch TV for an extended time, say, on a holiday, I end up feeling something that I can describe only as a spiritual hangover.

Well, it's a little strange, I have to admit. I feel pretty disconnected now from TV culture and hear about it word-of-mouth (such as Desperate Housewives... what's all the hoopla about that, anyhoo?). But I don't really miss it. I get more of a kick out of buying DVD boxes of old shows like The Dick Van Dyke Show, The World at War, and Peter Gunn (thanks to relyles), and watching a few episodes of those at my leisure... and I have high hopes that a DVD release of Hill Street Blues is imminent. But yeah, I'll trade cable for $500 worth of jazz CDs any time! It's weird... whenever I go to my father's house and watch TV for an extended time, say, on a holiday, I end up feeling something that I can describe only as a spiritual hangover.

Well, I don't think I could ever give up desperate housewives (with the sound off, of course. who needs to hear it?? watching them is just fine..... :g )