Top 5 Jimmy Smith sessions

riverrat

I just spun the JRVG of "Back at the Chicken Shack" and concluded that this is great greazy music and my all time favorite Jimmy Smith session.

The only other session of his that I have is "Cool Blues".

Doesn't this guy have quite a huge discography? What are his 5 best sessions? What should I pick up next?

I just spun the JRVG of "Back at the Chicken Shack" and concluded that this is great greazy music and my all time favorite Jimmy Smith session.

The only other session of his that I have is "Cool Blues". 

Doesn't this guy have quite a huge discography?  What are his 5 best sessions?  What should I pick up next?

You definitely need Midnight Special, from the same session as Back at the Chicken Shack. (Overall I think the album you have is a little better, but we're quibbling.) Next I'd get The Sermon, which is somewhat comparable to Cool Blues and has a similar lineup.

Guy

Edited by Guy Berger

If you like Cool Blues then I have to assume you'll like The Sermon and House Party as they're from the same era in his career. Similar sound.

BTW: I much prefer this stuff over the Back at the Chicken Shack.

I agree. I would also recommend the Mosaic material (which I have as individual discs, including AT THE ORGAN- with Donaldson, Burrell, Blakey and others).

I love everything he did with Kenny Burrell, and would recommend ORGAN GRINDERS SWING, BLUE BASH, STANDARDS, and SIX VIEWS OF THE BLUES.

True.His discography is incredibly expanded and of unequal quality...If you like the trio sessions, "Groovin' at Small's Paradise" and "Crazy Baby" are musts.

For more quartet sessions with Turrentine, 'Midnight Special , Fourmost are excellent, as well as Home Cookin with Percy France.

For a touch of big band, try Bashin.

But frankly, isolate his top 5 is a very hard job...

Guest akanalog

i think "at the organ volume 2" is my favorite.

i also like "rockin' the boat" a lot.

how is this new verve reissue-the boss. live from 1968 i think.

the sound samples make it sound like it could be pretty lively-sounds like donald bailey might have woken up for a bit. and some young george benson...

i think "at the organ volume 2" is my favorite.

i also like "rockin' the boat" a lot.

how is this new verve reissue-the boss. live from 1968 i think.

the sound samples make it sound like it could be pretty lively-sounds like donald bailey might have woken up for a bit. and some young george benson...

The Boss maybe Smith's BEST recording ever. Know it's not been on any lists, but it's the recording that brings his viruousity together to the point where's it's ridiculous. GET IT!