Summer 2005 RVG Titles

Kevin Bresnahan

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

blue%20note%20230.jpg

Listening to this one now. I have to say, McMaster's '87 remaster ain't so bad. It will be interesting to see/hear what Rudy does with it. I just hope Merritt's bass isn't cranked to 11. But, I bet Timmons piano does come through with more clarity/presence. Just a guess ...

DEAR GOD!! THIS WILL BE MY THIRD, AND OFTEN FOURTH VERSION OF THESE!!! (Do Liberty LP editions count?)

..... and then some joker told me earlier this week that my hearing was deteriorating ... so why should I bother? But Damn! I guess I will go for it .... why stop now? My son could always use the original CDs ... sssshhhh! He doesn't know any better, having just started his collection with my castaways .... but what about my TOCJ's? ... Questions, questions!

Edited by garthsj

If Judgment! uses the same remaster as the JRVG, I think everyone's in for a treat. To my ears, this is one of the best-sounding JRVGs.

Has anyone compared the JRVG to the Mosaic mastering? I had the TOCJ and ditched it after I compared it to the Mosaic, but might be willing to purchase this fine session again if the mastering is that great.

If Judgment! uses the same remaster as the JRVG, I think everyone's in for a treat. To my ears, this is one of the best-sounding JRVGs.

Has anyone compared the JRVG to the Mosaic mastering? I had the TOCJ and ditched it after I compared it to the Mosaic, but might be willing to purchase this fine session again if the mastering is that great.

Never heard the Mosaic but the JRVG is very fine. It is playing now in the Nessa basement.

Edit to return and say how FINE Elvin sounds on this.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

I just got off the horn with Michael Cuscuna to ask about this.

Kevin, just curious, because I've noticed other posts where you refer to communications with Michael Cuscuna: how do you know him? Others on this Board may already know, but I'm relatively knew around here. I don't mean to pry but, as I said, I'm curious. :blink:

To my knowledge...there is no "Jimmy Smith at the organ vol. 3", just 1 & 2...am I wrong?

You be correct. I think (hope) KB added 1 and 2 to come up with 3. Nice double.

Yes, THAT would make a nice Vol. 3. (I had suggested at the organ Vol 1 and 2 when Kevin was taking titles to give to Michael Cuscuna...so of course I'm now taking 100% credit B-) )

I'll probably buy the new one, and pass my old Judgement conn on to a friend.

I don't re-purchase discs very often, but there's always room for an exception when it comes to certain titles that are close to my heart.

Might repurchase Oblique too, just cuz it's my favorite Hutch-lead session.

EDIT: By the way, I want to give a hearty thumbs up ( :tup:tup:tup ) for Grant Green's Sunday Morning ( :wub: ). I only recently heard this date for the very first time, probably only about a year or maybe two ago. The conn was nowhere on my radar when it first came out, and since hearing it, it's become one of my all-time favorite Grant Green sessions.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

To my knowledge...there is no "Jimmy Smith at the organ vol. 3", just 1 & 2...am I wrong?

You be correct. I think (hope) KB added 1 and 2 to come up with 3. Nice double.

I cut & pasted those titles straight from Michael's E-mail. I thought it was weird myself but I just guessed it was some special extra from Japan. Michael did say these "were all done for Japan" so was there a Vol. 3 put out in the JRVG series?

I'll try to give Michael a call tomorrow to verify.

Later,

Kevin

Nice list!!

Do not see myself upgrading many of these. I'm very happy with:

Donald Byrd – Fuego..Japanese vinyl

Don Cherry – Symphony For Improvisers..Mosaic vinyl

Herbie Hancock - Inventions And Dimensions..original vinyl

Blue Mitchell – Boss Horn...original vinyl

Andrew Hill – Judgment..original vinyl

Freddie Redd – Music From The Connection..reissue vinyl is ok and not a favorite album of mine.

Probably get the following at some point:

Grant Green - Sunday Morning

McCoy Tyner – Time For Tyner

Art Blakey - The Big Beat

Edited by wolff

Nice list!!

Do not see myself upgrading many of these. I'm very happy with:

Donald Byrd – Fuego..Japanese vinyl

Don Cherry – Symphony For Improvisers..Mosaic vinyl

Herbie Hancock - Inventions And Dimensions..original vinyl

Blue Mitchell – Boss Horn...original vinyl

Andrew Hill – Judgment..original vinyl

Freddie Redd – Music From The Connection..reissue vinyl is ok and not a favorite album of mine.

Probably get the following at some point:

Grant Green - Sunday Morning

McCoy Tyner – Time For Tyner

Art Blakey - The Big Beat

hey...didn't mention lonnie's "think" ;)

hey...didn't mention lonnie's "think" ;)

I have zero Lonnie Smith and I have no idea if I'd like it.

I have enough Jimmy Smith, so I'll pass on his title also.

That leaves Tyner and Oblique which are behind the others I will get.

You might consider the Lonnie. It does have Lee Morgan and Fathead Newman as the horn section, if that adds any attraction to you.

It's a nice date and different from the usual organ stuff, at least imho.