Joey D./Jimmy Smith "Legacy"

CJ Shearn

don't know if i'll actually get this or not. liked the live one o.k.,,,but doesn't get a lot of play for whatever reasons. i'm more interested in how jimmy sounds, that "black cat" cd they came out with last year made jimmy sound as if he might be sick or weak. wondered if he was faring better these days.

he said the record is incredible. According to Pete, Jimmy now lives alone in Arizona now, I wonder if Lola passed, Jimmy is now hooked up a new manager and says he has a new boost in life.

hmmm..... that's weird about the living alone part...also, Joey lives in Arizona too. Wonder if that's just a coinsidence.

Looking forward to hearing it. Always a curious meeting of the two because it's like listening to Jimmy in 2004 and in 1964 all at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...

well, I just got it, and I have to say for me, its a very emotionally touching album, in lieu of Jimmy's passing. Joey plays great, Jimmy plays great too, I feel its some of his best playing in years. Great funky take of "I Got My Mojo Workin" and a Latin "Back at The Chicken Shack" which injects new life into it. Joey does play piano on some cuts, and keyboards (Corcovado) but its tasteful.

Edited by CJ Shearn

I've been enjoying it. It has a certain amount of......oh, what's the word I'm looking for....sounds like PLEEEEEZE.......or CHEEEEZE......or WHEEEEZE.... B-)

Joey D sounds good on the piano IMHO. There are some synth strings on the Jobim but they don't create much collateral damage.

J.O.S. went out with a bang. :tup

XM Radio was playing this while I was driving home lastnight.

I heard four of the tracks. "I'll Close My Eyes", "Back at The Chicken Shack", a tune called "Dot Com Blues" and another I didn't get the name of.

Joey D sounded great on piano on the track I heard, and while I'm no expert on Jimmy Smith, I think this one will not disappoint those who are.

i picked up this cd yesterday at borders for $20 \

i love the picture of a young joey and jimmy at the b3

i like the bass pedals picture on the back of the cd

notice the keyboards on the cover if you turn it a certain way

the pictures in the booklet of jimmy makes me sad, he looks kinda frail

i like the latin feel on back at the chicken shack

pick up the cd today

ss1