Heard back from Cuscuna on this one. Here's my initial e-mail:

Wonderful news about the Hill Mosaic Select (which I pre-ordered a week

ago!)

I just had a thought about a possible Connoisseur reissue (for October

2005). Have you ever considered releasing the Pacific Jazz session by Teddy

Edwards & Les McCann entitled "It's About Time"? I don't think it's even

been reissued on compact disc in Japan.

"Sunset Eyes" was a huge hit for me, and I would love to hear more Teddy

Edwards from his brief stay at Pacific Jazz.

Thanks for any information/feedback!

And Cuscuna's response this morning:

Yes, Teddy loved that album too. I think I'll try to do some kind of Les

McCann Select of these kinds of special encounters.

MC

So there's at least hope!

What kind of "special encounters" McCann Select would work here?

It's About Time (McCann-Edwards)

That's Where It's At (McCann-Turrentine)

In New York (McCann-et al.)

Anything else? Or substitutions thereof?

Edited by Late

I think you've got the basis of a Les Select. There could also be the sessions with Groove Holmes, which were obviously different from his usual piano trio outings.

Good news, even though I have what he's talking about. Also good to know that McCann is not on Michael's shit list. ;)

• 4 years later...
On 2/17/2005 at 7:42 AM, John L said:

A Les McCann Select of "special encounters." I guess that confirms that Cuscuna is completely against reissuing the Pacific Jazz Les McCann trio dates. Damn! That is my favorite McCann.

As we all know this never happened. Fresh Sound did a good job reissuing most Les McCann albums with tracks from singles and compilations added. I got all of these earlier this year and was not disappointed.

1 hour ago, Stonewall15 said:

Teddy's Ready! was released on CD in 1992. Fantasy OJCCD-748-2.

👍 Yes, that's the copy I have.

Discogs lists this particular U.S. edition as the only compact disc issue of the album. I was wondering if it was ever reissued on the Japanese market. My cursory internet searches tell me no. But maybe someone here has proof otherwise?

11 hours ago, Late said:

👍 Yes, that's the copy I have.

Discogs lists this particular U.S. edition as the only compact disc issue of the album.

That is ... if you disregard (or ignore 😉) CD reissues in "bulk" reissue packages on Public Domain labels. "Teddy's Ready" is also included in the "The Complete Recordings 1947-1962" 4-CD set (10 albums on 4 CDs) on Enlightenment EN4CD9128.

https://www.discogs.com/release/12798607-Teddy-Edwards-The-Complete-Recordings-1947-1962

;)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

15 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Beware of Enlightenment reissues. the few I bought all were audibly inferior to other reissues. I'd recommend the Fresh Sound CD for the Pacific Jazz sessions which also has the advantage of adding tracks from compilations or singles, and it sounds good.

it-s-about-time-with-les-mc-cann-feat-gl

https://www.freshsoundrecords.com/teddy-edwards-albums/5469-it-s-about-time-with-les-mc-cann-feat-gloria-smyth.html

sunset-eyes-teddy-edwards-quartet-comple

https://www.freshsoundrecords.com/teddy-edwards-albums/5471-sunset-eyes-teddy-edwards-quartet-complete-recordings-4-lps-on-2-cds.html

Edited by mikeweil

On 12/28/2022 at 12:55 AM, mikeweil said:

Beware of Enlightenment reissues. the few I bought all were audibly inferior to other reissues. I'd recommend the Fresh Sound CD for the Pacific Jazz sessions which also has the advantage of adding tracks from compilations or singles, and it sounds good.

Well, I could not vouch for the entire Enlightenment catalog (who could?) and I do not have any post-1947 Teddy Edwards on vinyl to compare but I did an aural comparison of the Lou Donaldson box yesterday as I have vinyls of several of the Blue Notes on the set (US Capitol und Japanese Toshiba reissues) and honestly, I cannot find anything really wrong with the sound of the Enlightenment box.
I am not making any guesses as to where their "remasterings" come from, but for the price (secondhand, in particular) of a P.D. label reissue they serve a purpose and do their job for the money.
And if at the same time they push a pin into the balloon of those consistently overpriced "go-to-because-theres-no-alternative" Blue Note reissues (secondhand included) then that's not the worst thing in the world either. 😄

Let's face it, like other P.D. packagings of the kind they are an exceedingly affordable (tangible, not download etc.) option to those to whom Hard Bop is not the topmost priority of their purchases for ownership in a better packaged reissue format (because funds are limited with everyone). Just like there are those out there who drool about Hard Bop and its offsprings in the first place and everything else is less essential to them and who therefore are content with buying bulk reissue packages such as the Proper boxes for earlier jazz (styles and recordings) - and as seen on this forum there must be quite a few of them around.
So yes, their approach is mirrored in what Enlightenment et al. offer. And on top these are actual CDs, not CD-Rs. (Something that you apparently cannot be sure of anymore with a "legit" label such as Concord as the owner of Prestige etc., FWIW)
And if one's purchases evolve later on these boxes can always go into the car to feed the car CD player. 😉

21 hours ago, Late said:

True.

Buying compact discs in bulk! Right next to the rice, quinoa, and granola. 🙃

😁 Next to rice and granola, yes - in a way ... Reflects on the flood of jazz releases that hit the record racks in the 50s and was lamented by many at the time.
Though, actually, as you no doubt imagined, the "bulk" rather referred to the contents in relation to the (undoubtedly basic) packaging of this (or Real Gone Jazz or others of the kind) vs that of more refined (but much more costly) reissue box sets or individual CD reissues that work out a 4, 5 or 10 times the price. But as long as the purchase price breaks down to what it is per CD and since we are told by many that CDs have no resale value anymore on the collector market anyway this is one way to limit your financial outlay and "value for money" isn't totally subpar as long as you remain aware of the limitations. Particularly if your (not endlessly unlimited) funds for full-price items tend to go elsewhere as a function of your priorities (see above 😉).

Edited by Big Beat Steve

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Is it possible that Teddy Edwards was not playing in Europe, respectiv in Austria ? I don´t remember I would have seen him. But I heard him on some sides on Spotlite with Dexter I think, maybe it was original Dial sessions.....

I saw him a few times in Paris toward the end of his life.  

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Is it possible that Teddy Edwards was not playing in Europe, respectiv in Austria ? I don´t remember I would have seen him. But I heard him on some sides on Spotlite with Dexter I think, maybe it was original Dial sessions.....

According to Wikipedia he played in London on several occasions in the 80s and 90s.

For another European stint, see here:

http://www.teddyedwardsnow.com/p/live-at-de-tor.html

"Dexter Gordon + Teddy Edwards + Spotlite" no doubt equals "Dial masters". ;)

Yes, he definitely played London in the 1980s, I remember reading reviews about it. That probably also included UK tour dates. Didn’t catch any of those shows - no doubt involving the Bulls Head in Barnes. Where I did catch Teddy was in California (arm in sling not playing but leading his group) and a later rare NYC gig with John Hicks’ trio.

i have photos of the ‘arm in sling’ gig somewhere.

Edited by sidewinder

27 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

According to Wikipedia he played in London on several occasions in the 80s and 90s.

For another European stint, see here:

http://www.teddyedwardsnow.com/p/live-at-de-tor.html

"Dexter Gordon + Teddy Edwards + Spotlite" no doubt equals "Dial masters". ;)

Very interesting link ! Thank you ! 

40 minutes ago, John L said:

I saw him a few times in Paris toward the end of his life.  

This is possible. I remember I have read in Lothar Lewien´s book about Chet Baker, that there was a scheduled concert pairing Teddy Edwards with Chet Baker, in Germany, but Chet didn´t appear so Teddy Edwards had to play as the only hornplayer. But sure I would have loved to hear him.