Teddy Edwards

Late

Sunset Eyes has been out on disc (though it's now out-of-print), but has this one

Ny05NTUyLmpwZWc.jpeg

ever seen compact disc reissue? In any country?

I wonder if there's enough material for a Teddy Edwards Mosaic Select. What would/could be on it?

Edited by Late
updated image

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There's a track from this album which made it's way onto a compilation of West Coast hard bop. The track was Frankly Speaking, and that is some of the best playing I've heard Teddy do, equal parts deep blues and subtle lyricism. And of course Leroy Vinnegar gets such a rich, resonant tone on bass, and swings so effortlessly. I love his bass playing to bits.

I really wish they would reissue that record - because I don't even have the record. Just had that compilation album I heard Frankly Speaking on. And I don't even have that! It was stolen with a bunch of other LPs that went west, so to speak. But if the rest of the album is as good as Frankly Speaking, I know I'm in for a treat.

Being a Teddy Edwards fanatic, I got the Toshiba Japan vinyl version several years ago when Toshiba reissued dozens of albums from the Pacific Jazz catalogue.

Edwards is at the top of his game with a fine trio (Les McCann, Leroy Vinnegar, Ron Jefferson) backing. I'm not a McCann fanatic and was afraid he would show off as he can do but he is pretty subdued on that date, one of his best appearance!

Whoever picked 'Frankly Speaking' to include that track in an anthology chosed right. That's the best track from the album! A very nice Edwards blues composition.

McCann composed the other original 'Beve's Comjumulations'.

Edwards picked standards for the rest of the album ''Our Love is Here To Stay', 'Fools Rush In' (a superb rendition), 'Willow Weep For Me' and 'Lover Come Back To Me'.

Wonder why this has not been reissued on CD yet!

Hey, nothing wrong with a little mishmash is there? ^_^

Especially good with gravy. ;)

Yeah, they'd have to include the Gloria Smythe material and I don't think that would be a great attraction.

Hey, I tracked that sucker down a few years back, and Sangrey liked it! Great groups backing her up ... and I like what she does with "When You're Smiling"! B-)

Yeah, I like that Smythe thing, same as I like the Barbara Long Savoy side. What can I say, I got a thing for singers who don't fuck up a good groove. Not as common a thing as you'd think...

otoh, I don't know that that makes for an "attraction" to the public at large. :g

It seems that with a couple of exceptions Blue Note is not too hot to put out anything with Les McCann involved. They certainly were not all great, but he made some decent lp's for PJ. And i dont think the Turrentine/McCann BN Thats Where Its At has ever been out on cd in the US. My copy is a TOCJ.

I wonder if Les is on Cuscuna's shit list for some reason.

It seems that with a couple of exceptions Blue Note is not too hot to put out anything with Les McCann involved. They certainly were not all great, but he made some decent lp's for PJ. And i dont think the Turrentine/McCann BN Thats Where Its At has ever been out on cd in the US. My copy is a TOCJ.

I wonder if Les is on Cuscuna's shit list for some reason.

Actually, there was. Mine is an early 90s domestic version that came out at the same time that the reciprocal "In New York" was reissued as a PJ.

Thanks for the correction Dan. Was that on of the Collector Choice reissues? If it was, i guess it did not register with me since i had the TOCJ and the extra track on that 4cd The Other Side Of The 4000 series.

No, it pre-dated the Collector's Choice series. I remember seeing the reference in the liners to "In New York" that there had been a reciprocal arrangement and a Blue Note recording and I thought, "damn, I want that recording!" and then one day on a music hunting trip to New York City, I stumbled across the CD and pounced. :g

Was there only one extra track? For some reason I am thinking that the domestic issue had two alternates ... but maybe I'm wrong. I'll try to check at home tonite.

... it was one that was deleted but NOT reissued as part of the Collectors' Choice series.

Hard to believe! But I believe that is true. . . :huh:

I think that's right. I remember seeing the original U.S. compact disc release in 1988, but I didn't know enough about Turrentine at the time to buy it. Now I have the JRVG, and it sounds pretty good to me!

BTW — I e-mailed Cuscuna about the Edwards PJ title in question. If he gets back to me, I'll post the response here.

:rlol

The McCann/Turrentine Blue Note and the Pacific Jazz "In New York" were indeed both out, as noted above. It was a productive week for McCann - his "Shampoo at the Village Gate" (also Pacific Jazz) is from then, too, and - title aside - it's one of his strongest trio albums.

Being a Teddy Edwards fanatic, I got the Toshiba Japan vinyl version several years ago when Toshiba reissued dozens of albums from the Pacific Jazz catalogue.

Edwards is at the top of his game with a fine trio (Les McCann, Leroy Vinnegar, Ron Jefferson) backing. I'm not a McCann fanatic and was afraid he would show off as he can do but he is pretty subdued on that date, one of his best appearance!

Whoever picked 'Frankly Speaking' to include that track in an anthology chosed right. That's the best track from the album! A very nice Edwards blues composition.

McCann composed the other original 'Beve's Comjumulations'.

Edwards picked standards for the rest of the album ''Our Love is Here To Stay', 'Fools Rush In' (a superb rendition), 'Willow Weep For Me' and 'Lover Come Back To Me'.

I really, really, really want this album!! :o

Oh well. :(

Yes, I've never seen the US cd, but it was one that was deleted but NOT reissued as part of the Collectors Choice series.

Hard to believe!  But I believe that is true. . .  :huh:

I just snagged a sealed copy of "In New York" :g , and it had a "Collector's Choice"-style round, white "Limited Edition" sticker on the shrinkwrap.

Edited becuse my fingers don't work properly today.

Edited by sjarrell