cd storage for large collections

I have 95% of my collection in plastic sleeves now - I use left over jewel cases as separators by genre or musician (with sticky labels on). Hunting down a CD you haven't listened to in a while can be a problem at times (especially if misfiled) but (to my mind) is more than compensated for by the space saved.

I like the way you separate stuff. I'll have to try that. Thanks!

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They do fit but in a weird way the fact that in some cases you have to keep the original sleeves, like the ones made by the label Act, helps visually to figure out where you're at, because the spines will at times be hard to read.

You're out of luck if you want to visualize better your collection unless you want to build yourself separators with artists names like you see in cd store

I guess that's kinda what I had in mind. My main concern is thtat the plastic sleeves fit in those monsters, so I guess I'm ok. Do you have one of those Can-Am storage systems? If you do, what are your thoughts?

Yes i do, i think they're great except the price, the only thing i don't like about is the separator that is used to keep the cds tight together is made in cheap plasctic, wish they'd made it in metal , it would be more firm, they'd do a better job that way. But overall i'm proud of having it. Of all the kits i ever owned to store cds it's by a landslide the best.

Edited by Van Basten II

They do fit but in a weird way the fact that in some cases you have to keep the original sleeves, like the ones made by the label Act, helps visually to figure out where you're at, because the spines will at times be hard to read.

You're out of luck if you want to visualize better your collection unless you want to build yourself separators with artists names like you see in cd store

I guess that's kinda what I had in mind. My main concern is thtat the plastic sleeves fit in those monsters, so I guess I'm ok. Do you have one of those Can-Am storage systems? If you do, what are your thoughts?

Yes i do, i think their great except the price, the only thing i don't like about is the separator that is used to keep the cds tight together is made in cheap plasctic, wish they'd made it in metal , it would be more firm, they'd do a better job that way. But overall i'm proud of having it. Of all the kits i ever owned to store cds it's by a landslide the best.

Thanks! I appreciate your thoughts.

• 4 weeks later...

I have put all my CDs (maybe 1500 plus another 1100 bootlegs) in paper sleeves with windows. It reduced storage space by about 2/3. I use mini sort of file folder tabs to mark off the divide between letters, I file by alphabetical order/last name. It's not that difficult to find anything. My 800 LPs are in oak bookcases with adjustable shelves.

Chicago MM

• 6 months later...

Looks a trifle awkward to me, but it may depend how you file your records. Seems to me that you would want one of those 4CD pages to hold only one artist, and so you're bound to have waste portions of a page all the way through.

I go for Mark's solution - a new wing of the house. I'll soon be moving all the compilation tapes I made years back into the garage.

MG

OK. Here's the least fuzzy pic I have. The drawer has four shelves, two on each side, and holds approx 160 CD's. I have four drawers, three installed, and a spare ready for action. They were sold out last time I visited the Chicago shop but I'm planning on buying a few more next time I'm in town.

4015161541_af1f501504.jpg

Here's a link to a larger version of the pic for more detail: Ikea CD Drawer

Edited by spinlps

OK. Here's the least fuzzy pic I have. The drawer has four shelves, two on each side, and holds approx 160 CD's. I have four drawers, three installed, and a spare ready for action. They were sold out last time I visited the Chicago shop but I'm planning on buying a few more next time I'm in town.

4015161541_af1f501504.jpg

Here's a link to a larger version of the pic for more detail: Ikea CD Drawer

I don't see it on the Ikea website. Do you know if it's a current item?

I don't see it on the Ikea website. Do you know if it's a current item?

Wierd. You're right, its not on the web site but the Bonde system was in the Chicago store in September. Its also in the 2009 catalog I'm looking at right now. Maybe call your local Ikea and see if they have any in stock? I hope its not discontinued.... Doh!!!