ID the organist!?

"basichip" (courtesy of the couw) is featuring the Kenyon Hopkins soundtrack from the James Garner film "Mister Buddwing".

Mister_Buddwing_-_Front.jpg

Mister_Buddwing_-_Back.jpg

Check out these two tracks and please let us know who might be on the organ. Sounds very much like that RVG at the knobs and maybe the guy pulling the others is recognizable to some.

your hard drive will be happy! :wub:

EDITED: as the site has changed the source.

New and HUGE lp covers included. I can delete these as well.

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think people are getting thrown off by the tone of the organ. It's very Jimmy Smith ala 1965 Verve in timbre, but it's not Jimmy Smith. The sound of the organ makes sense since this was recorded by RVG.

The organist is playing more like Larry Young, but I don't think it's him. There is something "hesitant" about his/her playing. I could be wrong, but in 1965 Larry Young's playing was on fire. He was totally confident in the style he had created and if you listen to his records, he's holding nothing back. Even on Grant's "Iron City" which is poorly recorded (and again, can fool people into thinking it's not Young because the tone of the organ doesn't sound like the tone we associate with Young) he's not pulling any punches.

Then again, it could be what the producer of the date wanted and there was some trepidation there.

My guess is it's a local player that nobody really knows.

Hmmm. I have absolutely no doubt that's Larry Young.

I don't know... there is something about the lines he/she is playing that make me think, "Oh, that's a Larry Young line...", kinda like when I hear a guitarist play a Grant line, but then it doesn't finish right or it goes into a line that's not really Larry Young or Grant Green, you know?

I could definitely be wrong. Larry Young is a much better guess than Jimmy Smith.

I understand what you're saying Jim. However, I think the "hesitency" you talk about is perhaps the result of 2 things...Larry not being in the pocket as much because he's not playing organ bass, and secondly, trying to jam his style into this overblown orchestrated boogaloo and go-go song. It kind of makes me chuckle, it shows Larry is going to play his style no matter what! That's great.

I think his playing is more recognizable on the second track because the song itself is a jazz waltz that lends itself more to Larry's style. THAT'S the track that really clenches it for me totally. The first track sounds a bit as if Johnny Hammond Smith had taken a Larry Young pill before the session. But it's still cleary Larry and Larry only in my mind even on that track. I just don't see how someone had totally absorbed Young's style to that degree by the mid sixties.

Edited by Soul Stream

I gotta get this LP. Man, is the rest of the album consistent with these tracks? For my money...that's Larry Young. And although I don't hear Grant's usual approach on the first track ('cept for the decending gliss, a tell-tell Grant lick, which he uses over and over), I do hear it on the second. Either way, gotta get this. They have a "Buy It Now" of the LP on EBAY but it's 38 bucks.

Edited by Soul Stream