Harold Land recommendations please

Templejazz

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THE FOX with Elmo Hope, Frank Butler, Herbie Lewis and the ill-starred Dupree Bolton

WEST COAST BLUES with Wes Montgomery, Joe Gordon , Barry Harris, Sam Jones and Louis Hayes

If you really like the Land / Hutcherson group on MEDINA / SPIRAL, try to find a copies of TOTAL ECLIPSE and SAN FRANCISCO.

TO me, he's the stand-out soloist on Bill Evans' QUINTESSENCE, an "all-stars" date that otherwise doesn't quite come off as well as it should. But worth hearing for Land's playing alone (Kenny Burrell shines, too).

Edited by Joe

I'll second the plug for the Carmell Jones Mosaic Select. I like some of Land's solos here better than on some of his own sessions of the time.

Harold in the Land of Jazz is another fine session from the OJC catalog. Very nice Carl Perkins on that one, too.

'Xocia's Dance' and 'Damisi' are both well worth hearing. These are in the style of the excellent 'Mapenzi' and feature Harold's late-70s and early 80s lineups.

Don't forget the gerald Wilson albums either - particularly 'Moment of Truth', 'Portraits' and 'The Golden Sword'.

And particular mention too for the lovely tenor-plus-strings album (and swansong) 'A Lazy Afternoon'.

:rhappy:

two more nice ones (after, of course, The Fox and the Clifford-Brown-Max-Roach-Quintet):

Art Farmer, Live at Stanford Jazz Workshop, 1997 (Monarch), with the solid rhythm section of the unheralded Bill Bell, Rufus Reid and Albert Heath

Philly Joe Jones, Drum Songs, 1978 (a recent Fantasy/Milestone twofer including Drum Song and Advance), with Blue Mitchell (his last date?), Slide Hampton, Charles Bowen, Land, Walton and Marc Johnson

ubu

A superb date with Harold Land has not been mentioned yet: Hampton Hawes'

'For Real' album (Contemporary, still available on OJCCD). Hawes, Scott LaFaro

and Frank Butler are the rhythm section. Could not fail to be great. Land was

really inspired by his fellow musicians on that one.

• 1 month later...

Land cut a date for Cadet in 1967, 'The Peacemaker' which featured Bobby Hutcherson along with Joe Sample, Buster Williams and Donald Bailey. I think it's as enjoyable as the best of the Land/Hutcherson Blue Notes, so I stronlgy recommend that anyone who digs those collaborations picks this one up! It's only been out on LP, though, and seems to be rather rare too. I found a not very expensive Japanese LP copy through Early Records - it was reissued in Japan in the 80s - so that may be a way of finding it.

I don't expect this album ever to be reissued by Verve.

Promised Land is his last recording (along with Billy Higgins) and I highly recommend it -- he redoes Mapenzi on it as well.

I wish Sony would reissue the Mainstream dates -- not just Harold Land, who has some great, GREAT stuff on the label, but also dates by Paul Jeffrey, Curtis Fuller, Roy Haynes, and others. A New Shade of Blue is blistering!

• 1 year later...

I borrowed all three of Harold Land's early 70's Mainstream albums this weekend (long-term loan, I can keep 'em for probably about a year, until I see the guy I borrowed them from again, probably next Thanksgiving).

Haven't listened to them yet (I gots no turntable), so they'll have to wait until I can get Spontoonious to burn them for me (hint, hint).

What am I in for?? On paper, they all look pretty darn good. Maybe not "change your life" good, but above average for the time, for sure.

Also, the AMG says that "Damisi" was reissued on CD, but doesn't mention when (but they do mention two bonus tracks). Anybody know if this is true, and if so - what was the country of origin of the reissue?? (Japan, I'm guessing).

Have any of the other three ever seen the light of day on CD?? Anybody have any on them on disc??

Clunky, to answer your question, that Harold Land/Red Mitchell HEAR YE date is indeed a strong one, worth picking up for sure.

Hutcherson and Land made a great combination. I think it worked best on the MEDINA sessions and TOTAL ECLIPSE (my personal fave).

Also, the AMG says that "Damisi" was reissued on CD, but doesn't mention when (but they do mention two bonus tracks).  Anybody know if this is true, and if so - what was the country of origin of the reissue?? (Japan, I'm guessing).

Have any of the other three ever seen the light of day on CD??  Anybody have any on them on disc??

i own the cd reissue of damisi. my copy was issued by the musical heritage society, a jazz club of sorts from what i understand. this recording was reissued on cd in england and the u.s. by mainstream direct, ltd. in 1991. it does indeed include the two cd-only tracks mentioned by amg. i believe damisi was the only one of the three titles land recorded for mainstream to be reissued on cd.

1972 original lp

Damisi1.jpg

1991 cd reissue

Damisi2.jpg

There are at least two other Hutcherson-Land collaborations not mentioned so far (or I missed them in the thread). Neither is out on CD though (again, as far as I know, but I certainly don't think so). Hutcherson is the leader on Cirrus (Blue Note), and Land is the leader on Choma (Burn), which actually I like better.

I keep meaning to pick up the Fox, but haven't so far.

If the Lord CD-ROM 5 is to be believed, there are *three* CD-only tracks on Damisi: "Dark Mood", "Up And Down", and "Pakistan" - the first was issued on a various artists album Mainstream 1036; the second was issued on the Harold Land LP "Choma (Burn)" Mainstream 344. The last would seem to be the real asset since it wasn't ever issued elsewhere. Or is Lord mistaken - was Pakistan part of the Damisi LP?

Mike