Miles Davis -"Round About Midnight" deluxe edition

alankin

Miles Davis - Round About Midnight: Legacy Edition - 2 CDs (Columbia/Legacy) May 10

— disc one features the classic 1957 album

— disc two features previously unreleased 1956 live recordings with the

lineup of Miles Davis, Philly Joe Jones, Paul Chambers, Red Garland and

John Coltrane

Another chance to spend some money.

Wonder what's on disc two?

Edited by alankin

You know, this REALLY steams me - Could we issue the stuff separately? Could we? No - let's SCREW those folks who spend BIG money on "Complete Miles & Coltrane" boxed sets. (Who already bought that material several times anyway.) We could sell a single live CD to them - no, don't be ridiculous, package it with a popular studio album. Make that studio album now twice as expensive as it needs to be.

Mike

I've heard that the second disc will be a live performance that was in the possesion of Gene Norman, the LA-based concert promoter and club owner. I don't believe that this has circulated among collectors, and I'm eager to hear it. It does steam me that I will have to buy another edition of RAM to hear it, though!

jack

ASSHOLES!

I agree completely.

There's quite a bit of Miles with Coltrane from 1955-56 that's been circulating among collectors for quite some time, the Steve Allen Tonight Show in which the full quintet performs "Max is Making Wax", the Peacock Alley sets from July '56, etc. Why couldn't some of this stuff be packaged with the Gene Norman private material if the powers that be wanted to put together a pricey 2 disc set? Having to re-purchase a studio date that every one on this board should own in some capacity, in some cases for upwards of 40 years or more, in order to get the private stuff is just borderline criminal IMO.

You know, this REALLY steams me - Could we issue the stuff separately? Could we? No - let's SCREW those folks who spend BIG money on "Complete Miles & Coltrane" boxed sets. (Who already bought that material several times anyway.) We could sell a single live CD to them - no, don't be ridiculous, package it with a popular studio album. Make that studio album now twice as expensive as it needs to be.

Mike

I'm really tired of buying the same stuff over and over and over and over and over again. :excited:

Yeah...this is bullshit. I don't think there's many people posting on this board that hasn't allready bought RAM more than once.

I've already bought this 4 times.

1 - Vinyl

2 - Columbia Jazz Masterpieces CD

3 - Box Set

4 - Legacy CD

I know I shouldn't have bought the Legacy CD since I had the box set, but I really like the individual albums... :ph34r:

just another chance to spend hard earned cash again.

don't forget lost highway just rereleased elvis costello's "the delivery man" with a bonus disc.

btw - the bonus disc includes material that was issued last year on 10" vinyl for collectors only that was never supposed to be released on cd.

now they've gotten both the casual buyer and the collector.