What's next on your YourMusic.com queue?

GA Russell

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For now I have Wayne Shorter's "Ju Ju" set aside for next month. Unfortunately the past several months, poor Wayne keeps getting bumped for a couple Jackie Mclean recordings. I have another Jackie release "Right Now" which could jump to the head of the line. Also there's Duke Pearson's Sweet Honey Bee, Horace Silver and the Jazz Messengers, Donald Byrd's "Byrd In Hand" just to name a few.

I have tickets to see Adrian Belew in a couple of weeks, so Side Three should arrive before that. It'll be my first solo album of his since buying Lone Rhino when it came out (which is my only autograph for what it's worth.)

I wonder what you will think of it. I have been unable to find much interesting in any of these "Side" solo albums after repeated listenings. Maybe it's the loops and electronic drums, but it aint doin it for me.

• 2 weeks later...

My pick this month is Sergio Mendes - Pure Bossa Nova.

It appears to be a compilation of recordings he made in Brazil before he formed Brasil '65.

One of my favorite albums is Cannonball's Bossa Nova, which Cannonball recorded with Mendes's working group at the time in 1962. I'm hoping this new release contains some items from that group, which was called Bossa Rio.

Buyer beware. I got this today. It is a reissue of the Atlantic album The Beat of Brazil which was issued on CD by Collectables in 1999. It was released on Atlantic in the US in 1967, but the liner notes here say that the recordings were made in 1964.

If you do not already have it, I can recommend it. It is a good album, but not hard core jazz.

For now I have Wayne Shorter's "Ju Ju" set aside for next month.

Tom. I think I played JuJu more often than any other album last year. The title track is my least favorite cut. I burned a copy for the car without it.

Hey GA! Just to let you know I received Wayne's JuJu yesterday and am listening to it right now. I hear you referring to the title cut. Reminds me much more of Coltrane on that track compared to the rest of the album. Not saying that's a bad thing of course. The album has a nice feel about it. Thanks for plugging this one. :tup

Next up in my queue is Jackie McLean's Right Now! Unless Donald Byrd's 'Royal Flush' or Hank Mobley's 'Another Workout' suddenly becomes available.

Next up in my queue is Jackie McLean's Right Now! Unless Donald Byrd's 'Royal Flush' or Hank Mobley's 'Another Workout' suddenly becomes available.

Both of those are now available at BMG, so they should be showing up at YourMusic soon. I just ordered them from BMG yesterday, along with several other new arrivals:

Johnny Griffin - The Congregation

Lee Morgan - The Cooker

Ike Quebec - It Might As Well Be Spring

Both of those are now available at BMG, so they should be showing up at YourMusic soon. I just ordered them from BMG yesterday, along with several other new arrivals:

Johnny Griffin - The Congregation

Lee Morgan - The Cooker

Ike Quebec - It Might As Well Be Spring

And all 5 are now available at yourmusic.com.

Buyer beware. I got this today. It is a reissue of the Atlantic album The Beat of Brazil which was issued on CD by Collectables in 1999. It was released on Atlantic in the US in 1967, but the liner notes here say that the recordings were made in 1964.

If you do not already have it, I can recommend it. It is a good album, but not hard core jazz.

The above is not 100% accurate. Pure Bossa Nova has 14 tracks, two from 1962. The liner notes are not accurate, but it appears that four are from 1964 and an Atlantic album called The Swinger From Rio. The remaining eight are from 1967 and The Beat of Brazil.

The causes of my confusion were the inaccuracies of the Pure Bossa Nova liner notes, the fact that The Beat of Brazil and The Swinger From Rio were included on the same Collectables disc, and that comparing the Atlantic/Collectables issues with Pure Bossa Nova is difficult because some of the titles are given in English on one but in Portugese on the other.

• 3 weeks later...

My pick this month is Gerald Wilson - The Artist Selects.

Sometime in the 70s Pacific Jazz released a Best of album of Wilson's recordings from the 60s. I found it at a used record shop in the early 80s. It's great.

Many of the songs on this CD are from that LP, but for only $5.99 I thought I would get the CD and the extra songs.

• 1 month later...

My pick this month is Gil Evans - The Complete Pacific Jazz Recordings.

I had this down at number six on my queue last month. I noticed that a number of people here and on AAJ included it in their Best of 2006 lists, and I believe I saw that it got some votes in the Downbeat Readers Poll.

So I decided to bump it up to the top of my queue and give it a listen.

I've liked everything I've heard of Gil Evans, but I can't say that I've loved any of it. I haven't really given him the chance his reputation deserves, so I'm going to play this one a lot and let it help me decide if I want to get any more of him.