Jazz in Paris.

B. Goren.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any info on the films or composers on Jazz et Cinema Vol. 5?

Volume 5 has music from:

'Cette Sacrée Gamine' (a Brigitte Bardot film) by Henri Crolla and Hubert Rostaing,

'Une Parisienne' (BB again) by Crolla and Rostaing

'Saint-Tropez Blues' by André Hodeir and Henri Crolla

Any info on the films or composers on Jazz et Cinema Vol. 5?

Volume 5 has music from:

'Cette Sacrée Gamine' (a Brigitte Bardot film) by Henri Crolla and Hubert Rostaing,

'Une Parisienne' (BB again) by Crolla and Rostaing

'Saint-Tropez Blues' by André Hodeir and Henri Crolla

Is the last one that funny b/w documentary about the côte before the whole boom started there? I once caught the second half of such a film on tv, by chance... very 50s, pretty funny, with voiceover commentary and b/w images of the region and people, including some staged scenes.

Two different films, both with music by Hodeir.

You're obviously thinking of the 1952 short 'Saint-Tropez' which was shot when the resort had not been ruined by the tourists invasion. The music to that one was included in the Vogue-BMG CD 'André Hodeir, The Vogue Sessions'.

'Saint-Tropez Blues' was shot in 1960 and is a forgettable film by Marcel Moussy who was a better scriptwriter than director. The film starred Marie Laforet and Jacques Higelin.

• 2 years later...

YES! I have two of the three Anachronic Jazz Band LPs. They are hard to find this side of the Atlantic. That is trippy stuff! I remember the first time I was in a record store and heard Giant Steps being played sounding like Sidney Bechet or something. It actually had me questioning my knowledge, thinking that Giant Steps was a standard from the early 20th century all along.

YES! I have two of the three Anachronic Jazz Band LPs. They are hard to find this side of the Atlantic. That is trippy stuff! I remember the first time I was in a record store and heard Giant Steps being played sounding like Sidney Bechet or something. It actually had me questioning my knowledge, thinking that Giant Steps was a standard from the early 20th century all along.

You've made me go the shelves and listen to The Anachronic Jazz Band, from a two CD set issued on JBM 34011. It consists of "The complete studio recordings and 7 unissued live performances". (Giant Steps: Great fun! :party: )

Now, if it is so that it's complete, I wouldn't need the JIP, would I?

I heard a track from The Anachronic Jazz Band on JRR a while back. I'll definately be getting this new release when it appears in some form - really caught my interest.

'Twas this:

Giant Steps/Blues for Bechet (Coltrane, arr. Richard )

Performed by Anachronic Jazz Band: Patrick Artero (tpt), Claude Gousset (tbn), Marc Richard (cnt), Daniel Huck (clt, a/sx), André Villeger (clt, a/sx, b/sx), Philippe Baudoin (pno), Lionel Banhamou (bjo), Gérard Gervois (bs), Dominique Obadia (dms)

Recorded 1978

Taken from the album Anachronic Jazz Band Volume II

1978 LP (Open OP 09)

You've made me go the shelves and listen to The Anachronic Jazz Band, from a two CD set issued on JBM 34011. It consists of "The complete studio recordings and 7 unissued live performances". (Giant Steps: Great fun! :party: )

Yeah I guess not--I hadn't seen that release. Enjoy!

I have the Lord version 6.0 which notes the two Open LPs (that's what seems to be on my JBM, plus a Nov. 1978 Mantes performance Lord doesn't know), and another LP which I know nothing about: "Paris Live: Anachronic JB & Beryl Bryden" on Calig (G)30622 -- is that Humphey Lyttelton's Calligraphy label? A few other concert tracks are on collection records from Joke and Amiga.

This was a great concept ("52nd St. a la Basin St.") which used to get a lot of response when I played it on my radio shows years back. One person even said the Anachronic's version of 'Giant Steps' opened the door to his understanding Trane's own version!

I have the Lord version 6.0 which notes the two Open LPs (that's what seems to be on my JBM, plus a Nov. 1978 Mantes performance Lord doesn't know), and another LP which I know nothing about: "Paris Live: Anachronic JB & Beryl Bryden" on Calig (G)30622 -- is that Humphey Lyttelton's Calligraphy label? A few other concert tracks are on collection records from Joke and Amiga.

This was a great concept ("52nd St. a la Basin St.") which used to get a lot of response when I played it on my radio shows years back. One person even said the Anachronic's version of 'Giant Steps' opened the door to his understanding Trane's own version!

Yeah it's an absolutely brilliant concept, and well-executed. I have one of the Open LPs and I have the live one with Beryl Bryden. The Open LP I don't own is actually the one with Giant Steps on it, but I heard it at a local record store, and it opened me up to them, as I mentioned. I remember enjoying a Monk tune and a Brown/Roach one--maybe Joy Spring.

Are these CDs gatefold or jewel cases? What about the rest of the collection? Is every single title available in both formats?

They were all digipacks originally, and the "hors série" 2CD sets I've only seen as digipacks to this day, while (some of?) the single discs have turned up in jewel cases - I guess it was mainly those with a lot of demand (for instance the two Grappelli/Petersons) and re-pressing them with regular packing was way cheaper.

The 2CD digipacks are beautifully made, the booklets have a few pages more than usual and include some photos and in the case of the Fohrenbach a picture of one of the original albums, too.

wow, fantastic news!

Way cool--now if somebody would just stock them on this side of the water!!!!!

greg mo

Dusty claims they will have them in soon, and I put them on a wish list. In addition, Amazon is allowing us to pre-order (didn't check CD Universe). I'll probably go this route. No idea why the Nearness of You seems so impossible to get, other than they are still pushing the Grappelli box set.

wow, fantastic news!

Way cool--now if somebody would just stock them on this side of the water!!!!!

greg mo

Dusty claims they will have them in soon, and I put them on a wish list. In addition, Amazon is allowing us to pre-order (didn't check CD Universe). I'll probably go this route. No idea why the Nearness of You seems so impossible to get, other than they are still pushing the Grappelli box set.

I had similar problems getting hold of the Reinhardt Place de Brouckere disc, which was also a single-cd release of the last part of a box set. Weird. I'll check out Amazon for the new ones. I also added the three to my Dusty wish list. We'll get 'em somehow!

greg mo

Just got "Nearness of You" and gave it a first spin last night. Nice one, far from essential though... (but I think in my book Grappelli in general rates as "far from essential", so...)

Ubu, did you go ahead and order it from amazon.fr? If not, where?

I like Grappelli, but I want it because I'm a hopeless fanatic about that series!

greg mo

Just got "Nearness of You" and gave it a first spin last night. Nice one, far from essential though... (but I think in my book Grappelli in general rates as "far from essential", so...)

Ubu, did you go ahead and order it from amazon.fr? If not, where?

I like Grappelli, but I want it because I'm a hopeless fanatic about that series!

greg mo

Yes, but as a European (geographically spoken only... politically Switzerland is, well... somewhere remote up in the mountains, I guess), I often order there, it's a neighbouring country and their prizes often seem better than on amazon.de (which doesn't sell "Nearness of You" either, btw).

And yes, I'm crazy about this series, too - I have all the single discs (minus some that I have as part of box-sets or in other, better editions, i.e. the Pres, the Roach and "Ascenseur pour l'echafaud"), and the three previous "hors série" sets. I could not afford the four boxes when they were around cheap, alas... and I have none of the compilations (catalogue plus cd sampler, cd/remix + dvd package, plus belles chansons) that mostly re-packaged previously available material.