Art Pepper - The Hollywood All-Star Sessions

• 18 years later...

I'm not sure if this was discussed elsewhere, but Omnivore reissued this music.  I was delighted/dismayed to see that there were several extra tracks that didn't make the original box set.  Fortunately, my library has a streaming/download service that'll allow me to get the missing tracks without buying more CDs or paying $3 per track (gulp) for a lossless download.

For those who are also interested, there are 2 tracks from the Stitt session with Russ Freeman, 3 from the Stitt session with Lou Levy, 2 tracks from the Jack Sheldon session (1 vocal :)), 1 from the Pete Jolly session and 1  from the Watrous session.  There were no added tracks from the Konitz and Manne sessions.

Edited by Justin V

56 minutes ago, Justin V said:

I'm not sure if this was discussed elsewhere, but Omnivore reissued this music.  I was delighted/dismayed to see that there were several extra tracks that didn't make the original box set.  Fortunately, my library has a streaming/download service that'll allow me to get the missing tracks without buying more CDs or paying $3 per track (gulp) for a lossless download.

For those who are also interested, there are 2 tracks from the Stitt session with Russ Freeman, 3 from the Stitt session with Lou Levy, 2 tracks from the Jack Sheldon session (1 vocal :)), 1 from the Pete Jolly session and 1  from the Watrous session.  There were no added tracks from the Konitz and Manne sessions.

So is this the several volumes of "Art Pepper presents: West Coast Sessions!"?  Is there a box with all of them or no?

This is the first I’ve heard that Omnivore re-issued the Hollywood All Star Sessions since the right to these were owned by Fantasy, which is now owned by Concord. Did you intend to refer to the Artist House Recordings, which Omnivore issued a couple of years ago. If not, do you have a link. 

Edited by Brad

1 hour ago, Brad said:

Thanks.  I compared the first two with the equivalent of the Hollywood Star Sessions and looks to be the same so since since I have the earlier box I will stick with that. 

To clarify a bit, out of the 9 tracks on the newer Omnivore reissues that weren't part of the five-disc box, 6 were previously unreleased alternates and 3 were tracks that were on the original LPs but not included in the box.  It looks like individual tracks can be had for $1.29 per track from Amazon, although I haven't looked to see if some might be album-only downloads.

5 hours ago, Justin V said:

To clarify a bit, out of the 9 tracks on the newer Omnivore reissues that weren't part of the five-disc box, 6 were previously unreleased alternates and 3 were tracks that were on the original LPs but not included in the box.  It looks like individual tracks can be had for $1.29 per track from Amazon, although I haven't looked to see if some might be album-only downloads.

Thanks for the information Justin.