acid

nemo7

Even though I don't know what 'acid jazz' is supposed to be, In the UK there's one labeled such called Outside. I can't get over how much ground they cover, and cover well. Their 1995 album Rough and the Smooth is brilliant (though I don't care much for some of the vocal work). The album opener, "29/8 steps", is the highlight for me. A sick groove in an odd meter, and it nicely grooves like you wouldn't expect.

B000003N5T.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

rough and smooth info

Edited by joeface

To me, the term "Acid Jazz" is already more dated and silly sounding than the older, more traditional Soul Jazz moniker. Why? Because Acid Jazz says absolutely nothing about what the music really is. Acid Jazz sounds like it should be psychedellic jazz, which it's not.

Never a fan of Acid Jazz, too lightweight for my tastes. I'd rather hear the real thing...Soul Jazz.

I used to hear the Greyboy Allstars referred to as Acid Jazz, or west coast soul jazz boogaloo etc etc etc. I think they are more derivative of the JBs than Jimmy Smith et al, but I've also heard Melvin Sparks-style guitarists referred to as acid jazz. Jam band fans are into this stuff quite a bit.

Greyboy Allstars

Karl Denson

(saxophones)

Elgin Park

(Guitar)

Zak Najor 

(Drums & Percussion) 

Chris Stillwell 

(Bass)

Robert Walter

(Keyboards)

I think a lot of Robert Walter's projects would probably be considered acid jazz by some. 20th Congress, Frequinox (Donald Harrison, Robert Walters, Stanton Moore, Robert Mercurio, Will Bernard), Galatic side projects, etc.

Then you've got late 90s Bay Area DJ Mark Farina

B000004AT3.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

If I recall, the "acid" part of "acid jazz" was almost tongue-in-cheek.

The people in the dance music world [house, techno, etc.] are notorious for naming all of these genres for music with only a little difference between. The prime example being the jungle craze in the 90s-you had two-step, jazz-step, hard-step, tech-step, etc., etc.

When the DJs were spinning these old soul jazz sides, they called it acid jazz. Just like the jungle thing, house music DJs were naming like crazy. One of the terms just happened to be ACID HOUSE.

I think...