Byrd-Adams

It is an absolute joy! It was the first Mosaic I ever got, and still enjoy it immensely.

In addition to Byrd and Adams, the set has a virtual who's who of jazz: Jackie McLean, Art Taylor, Sam Jones, Philly Joe Jones, Billy Higgins, Herbie Hancock, Wynton Kelly, Duke Pearson, Charlie Rouse, etc etc etc etc!!!

Edited by Big Al

And the set includes Royal Flush which is a real good 'un, and I believe Herbie's BN debut.

While I don't have this set, I believe it also includes CAT WALK which is a very difficult find on individual CD (unless you're willing to pay for a high priced Japanese mini-LP). I have a Japanese vinyl copy and the music is excellent.

Like Big Al, this set was my first purchase from Mosaic. Though there are a few really enjoyable sessions, I'm a bit more hesitant to put it among the best sets. The individual albums are mostly good on their own account, but I feel that Donald Byrd doesn't manage to hold my interest across several discs, which for example the Thad Jones or Woody Shaw sets do (speaking of trumpeters), or the excellent J.J. Johnson set. I'll probably get flamed for this, but to me Byrd sounds a bit like a good trumpeter on a bad day - all days. But if you're a fan of Byrd or Adams, you'll probably want to get it.

Edited by Daniel A

I don't own the Mosaic set, but I have owned a few of the individual LPs. This is fun, tuneful, lively music. Pepper Adams is a great, hard-driving bari (a worthy antidote to Gerry Mulligan), and I like Byrd's tone and clarity of thought - he may not be brilliant, but he is very listenable. If I recall the liner notes to the original LT issue, Chant was Herbie's first session on Blue Note (but wasn't issued until much later).

I thought "Freeform" was Herbie's BN debut.

I found this note via an NPR article.

Even while studying science in college, Herbie played jazz professionally in Chicago, sitting in with legends like Coleman Hawkins and trumpeter Donald Byrd. Herbie's reputation as an astute pianist was starting to spread on the scene. Byrd encouraged him to travel to New York and join him in the studio for the trumpeter's 1962 album, Free Form.

Chant - April 17, 1961 - BUT unreleased at the time

Thanks for the information.

I'm, now, going to listent to Chant via the Byrd/Adams Mosaic. Starting with 'Old Cowhand' (one of my favorites). :tup

Donald Byrd, Pepper Adams, and Herbie Hancock. It hardly gets any better.

Edited by wesbed

I thought "Freeform" was Herbie's BN debut.

I found this note via an NPR article.

Even while studying science in college, Herbie played jazz professionally in Chicago, sitting in with legends like Coleman Hawkins and trumpeter Donald Byrd. Herbie's reputation as an astute pianist was starting to spread on the scene. Byrd encouraged him to travel to New York and join him in the studio for the trumpeter's 1962 album, Free Form.

If you can, read the book to the Herbie BN box. There are great reminiscences by Herbie and Byrd about this time. Byrd helped Herbie out in many ways.

And then there's that great story about Herbie bringing 3 originals and 3 standards to his BN audition. After playing his 3 originals (including "Watermelon Man"), Lion and Wolff looked at each other and asked Herbie, "You have 3 more of those?"

I enjoy and admire the Byrd/Adams stuff and I'm glad it's in my collection, but it really doesn't resonate that deeply with me. I find this true of most of Byrd's music for the label, with a few notable exceptions. His electric stuff (pre-Mizell bros, that stuff is just plain hideous) - KOFI, FANCY FREE, ELECTRIC BYRD - I find has more staying power and depth.

Funny, Clunky mentions Blue Mitchell's BNs in the same type of "throwaway" category but that stuff really resonates with me and I would rate it much more highly overall.

Calling this material "throwaway stuff" doesn't seem to make much sense when it applies to the collaboration of these two. Some of Byrd's solo material, BN or not, may not be the stuff of legends but there is some fine material there: Transition, Savoy are very good and let's not forget his appearances on some of the Wallington cds. As far as Blue goes, much of his BN material is memorable as is his Riverside work. I often reach for the Mosaic. It's one of my favorites.

Thanks for the feedback. This box finally arrived after an unexplained delay on the part of DHL(ay). I've only listened to the first disc so far so my impressions aren't particularly well-informed...but what I hear is enjoyable, certainly worth purchasing. Byrd's playing doesn't seem to energize me as much as some other BN trumpeters, but that's pretty stiff competition.I thought Pepper Adams might be there more for adding color in the ensembles but he's definitely a co-leader and delivers on the solos. First impression--not at the top of line (as the Mobley and Turrentine BN sets are for me) but certainly very good. Of course, as I hear the entire set I imagine my reactions will alter to some extent. Actually, the true test of greatness for me regarding a Mosaic set is how much I return to it after the initial newness is gone. So, time will tell.