What Are You Watching

Image result for cheers complete

Watched these intermittently on TV in the early 90s and always enjoyed them but, despite getting really hooked on Frasier, never got back to them. Found an inexpensive set online.

Interesting that even before Frasier appears on the scene the skewering of arty-farty/wannabee-intellectual pretension is there from the off, with Diane as the vehicle (later brought to perfection in the Niles Crane character). You always worry that the humour will have worn off with time but I found the first four episodes as funny and warm as ever. Should keep me happy over the winter.   

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another one I missed when it came out:

Image result for john adams DVD

First two episodes. Hard to pull off something so complex in just a dozen or so hours but I'm really enjoying this. Sensibly so far the focus is on the debates and discussions with the main military events alluded to through brief vignettes and references. Strong acting throughout - endlessly seeing faces and wondering where I've seen him or her before. I only have a general historical knowledge of the American Revolution so can't comment on how free it is with the facts - but so far it fits with what little I know.  

On 25-9-2016 at 7:30 AM, A Lark Ascending said:

Image result for the railway man

Very moving - an unlikely ending but apparently based on reality. As a kid in the 60s living on the Changi RAF base I used to regularly visit a small museum about the Japanese occupation. One of those things that sticks in your memory. 

Yes, it touched me too. I saw it in the cinema. Quite impressive.

On 1-9-2016 at 7:22 AM, A Lark Ascending said:

Image result for eye in the sky

Missed this in the cinema. Thought it was excellent. Really tense virtually from the off ('sell the bread, sell the bread'). All sorts of moral questions thrown up without presenting easy answers.

Yes, it was a thrilling one. It would not be my line of job I must say, I would be too soft to be able to make such decisions.

6 hours ago, A Lark Ascending said:

Another one I missed when it came out:

Image result for john adams DVD

First two episodes. Hard to pull off something so complex in just a dozen or so hours but I'm really enjoying this. Sensibly so far the focus is on the debates and discussions with the main military events alluded to through brief vignettes and references. Strong acting throughout - endlessly seeing faces and wondering where I've seen him or her before. I only have a general historical knowledge of the American Revolution so can't comment on how free it is with the facts - but so far it fits with what little I know.  

My good friend, Kirk Ellis, wrote the screenplay & won the Emmy for it.

On 10/21/2016 at 9:49 PM, kinuta said:

Hypernormalisation - Adam Curtis BBC (2016)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZqPqmuUFxXgLz6kuOfCG

An extension and further extrapolation on his previous documentaries.

Off the wall in part but engrossing . His recap of the Colonel Gaddafi story is especially interesting.

I had to break it into two days viewing

Thanks for flagging that up. I sat down to watch the first hour last night intending to split it in three and ended up watching it straight through. 

Utterly engrossing as you say - though I have a suspicion he has started with a theory and has then selected his evidence to fit. The Gaddafi story was fascinating (along with the parallel Syria story). For me the most interesting part was his explanation of how Putin and Trump deliberately destabilise through contradictory statements and outright lies so the audience loses its grip on 'truth'. You can see that at work in the Brexit crisis last summer - '£350 a week for the NHS' for weeks on end and then a complete distancing from the promise.

Part way through I realised Adam Curtis was also behind another documentary I'd been really impressed by - 'The Trap: What Happened to our Dream of Freedom' from 2007. Similar themes. 

All his other documentaries are interesting and very well worth your time.

Luckily they are all available on You Tube.

Here's a list of the main ones, excluding The Trap.

Pandora's Box

The Power Of Nightmares

The Living Dead

The Century Of The Self

The Mayfair Set

All Watched Over By Machines Of Loving Grace

Bitter Lake

The Crown - Stephen Daldry, Philip Martin, Julian Jarrold and Benjamin Caron (HBO)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BNjU2NzA5MzgyM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDAwOTUxMDI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Although I think of myself as an anti monarchist, I was absolutely enthralled and rivetted by the first two episodes.

I don't think I've ever seen such high production values on tv. Top marks in direction, cinematography, acting ,incredible set design and location work.

Above all it was utterly realistic and believable.

My initial thoughts with The Crown was 'not another royal hagiography'. But the reviews I've read have been glowing - apparently it was made without consultation with court flunkies. Will have to wait for a DVD to hire but quite fancy it now. 

Image result for katyn movie

Polish film about the Soviet massacre of Polish officers and intellectuals in 1940 and the subsequent cover up. Engaging. 

Image result for nigel farage gets his life

On the surface a gentle satire but quietly puts the stiletto in. 

Edited by A Lark Ascending

2 hours ago, A Lark Ascending said:

Image result for roundhouse camden

An interesting BBC doc on The Roundhouse in Camden. A place I've never been to - though the description of the inadequate toilet facilities in the early Pink Floyd/Soft Machine days makes me think I'd not have stayed long. Seems quite plush now. 

Lived down the road from there at one time but if I remember correctly it was closed at the time due to funding issues so I never got to see the inside. It re-opened sometime later. I walked past there about 10 years ago and it was obviously in the very early stages of renovation - the old outside broadcast wiring was still hanging out of the walls.

2 hours ago, A Lark Ascending said:

Image result for roundhouse camden

An interesting BBC doc on The Roundhouse in Camden. A place I've never been to - though the description of the inadequate toilet facilities in the early Pink Floyd/Soft Machine days makes me think I'd not have stayed long. Seems quite plush now. 

I went there many times in the late 70s early 80s during the golden age of arts funding.  Odd that the documentary didn't  mention jazz at all, just alternative music.   During the various Camden Jazz Weeks/Camden Festivals I saw among others, AEoC, Cecil Taylor, Sam Rivers, George Coleman Octet, WSQ, Blood Ulmer, Freddie Hubbard, Chet Baker, Carla Bley Orch, Duke Jordan, Air,  as well as a number of UK bands in support.  Always very good sound and a good view of the stage for any seat.   I don't recall it being anywhere near as bad as the documentary made out during the time of my attendances.  My avatar photograph was taken there.

4 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Finished watching Season 4 of Longmire on DVD. I think I like Season 3 more, but I really like this show. 

Now on to Daredevil, Season 1 on Blu-ray. I watched Season 2 on DVD and loved it, have never seen Season 1 before, going to be fun.

I thought season 4 was "darker", so I liked it better. Looking forward to season 5.

13 hours ago, JohnS said:

I went there many times in the late 70s early 80s during the golden age of arts funding.  Odd that the documentary didn't  mention jazz at all, just alternative music.   During the various Camden Jazz Weeks/Camden Festivals I saw among others, AEoC, Cecil Taylor, Sam Rivers, George Coleman Octet, WSQ, Blood Ulmer, Freddie Hubbard, Chet Baker, Carla Bley Orch, Duke Jordan, Air,  as well as a number of UK bands in support.  Always very good sound and a good view of the stage for any seat.   I don't recall it being anywhere near as bad as the documentary made out during the time of my attendances.  My avatar photograph was taken there.

I went there a few times in the period 1967-69. I was pretty rough and ready, so there was probably some refitting and renovation during the early to mid seventies.

I haven't seen the documentary but will try to do so.

I'm not sure who I saw but certainly Floyd, probably Traffic. It's rather a haze, as it was at the time.:)

Did any of you guys attend the  Alexandra Palace 14 Hour Technicolour Dream ? That would make a good documentary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_14_Hour_Technicolor_Dream

11 hours ago, kinuta said:

Did any of you guys attend the  Alexandra Palace 14 Hour Technicolour Dream ? That would make a good documentary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_14_Hour_Technicolor_Dream

There's another BBC doc about the early years of Pink Floyd (when they had an obligatory The) that went out on the same night that his some footage of the 14 Hour TD. 

Meanwhile the BBC continue to show its liberal left-wing elitist bias even though the people have spoken:

Image result for black and british

First part of a series. Was a bit worried that it was going to be a bit Davina McCall - excessive personal reminiscences and weeping into handkerchiefs - but I really enjoyed this once I got into it. Covered some of the first evidence of an African presence in Britain - Roman, Medieval, Tudor and mid-18thC. A marvellous bit about a trumpeter at one of Henry VIII's celebrations with some very nice jazz trumpet played by a military man. The section on the relatively give and take trade with Ghana that happened before John Hawkins discovered the money to be made from slavery was fascinating. Next week, the slave trade.   

I've not come across the presenter, David Olusoga, before but really liked his delivery - engaging and approachable but he clearly knows his stuff. Not just another celebrityor ex-politician being used for recognition factor.  

The John Lewis Xmas add:

Typical sentimental extended Xmas add that the big companies in the UK make at this time of year. 

But I had to laugh at this wonderful Guardian write-up:

John Lewis Christmas advert: Buster the boxer is a sledgehammer to 2016

Edited by A Lark Ascending

How has the John Lewis advert become an event? I can't stand the fact that the country goes into a frenzy every November when this comes out. "ooooh, dogs, kids, lonely old men, penguins, snowmen, spend money"....fuck right off.

I hate the way the Grauniad has politicised it too, as if it is anything other than a cynical vehicle for relieving folk of their money.

Edited by rdavenport