What Are You Watching

Yesterday the older of my two brothers and I watched about half of Season one of Madmen (Blu-Ray version). He'd never seen the show, he'd never seen Blu-Ray, he was quite impressed with both.

He was visiting from Ohio, flew down Thursday morning and left this morning in a rented car on his way to New Orleans. I sort of wished I could have gone along!

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm continuing to watch the first season of Madmen on Blu-Ray. It's better the second time around. . . .

It's a great show. Season three is supposed to start at the end of July.

I never have had, don't want, cable, so I'll get these on disc.

American Idol.

I had not watched it in several years, but my wife and I are watching it this year with our 12 year old daughter--it gives us something to talk about and share, which beats the usual grumpy monosyllabic responses which we ordinarily get from her these days.

It has been surprisingly engaging this year. They are down to nine contestants. I am assuming that most or all of the members of this board do not watch it, so I will state that right now the contestants include:

Lil Rounds, a black woman from Memphis who would have been a leading soul singer in the 1960s--as Smokey Robinson said on a recent show, she can sing the phone book and sound great--her voice is a marvel by any professional standard. By her own admission she can't figure out what songs to pick each week and wastes her great talent on some unworthy material. She should become a star in the music business--she will need an Ertegun/Wexler type team to produce her;

Megan Joy, a jazzy, quirky singer who should have gone in an Annie Ross direction as much as possible but seems to have blown it by trying to sing styles she's not capable of;

Adam Lambert, the leader right now by acclamation--he has an amazing multi-octave voice and the ability to sing uptempo rock and r&b with excitement, and ballads with genuine sensitivity--he should become a star in the music business. His performances are always riveting--he blows out the walls. He has a genuine creative sense, and comes up with surprising approaches to the material each week. Some of the other contestants seem lost as to what to perform--Adam seems to be in complete control of his musical choices;

Danny Gokey, a church music director from Milwaukee, a white guy with a genuinely soulful voice, who can belt out an emotional ballad like no one else--I mean in a certain way, like no one else in the history of recorded music--he should also become a star in the music business. He and Adam are above the rest of the pack right now, with Lil Rounds close behind;

Kris Allen, a guy with a really good voice, and an appealing, unique approach. He plays guitar and piano and arranges his material with taste and creativity--I would buy an album by him;

Allison Iraheta-- She's 16 and sings like a seasoned rock and roll singer, with a booming, raspy voice--when she lets it rip you imagine that she could break all the glass in the surrounding vicinity. Virtually any rock band would be improved by adding her on vocals. She should become a professional recording artist;

Anoop Desai, a guy from Chapel Hill, North Carolina whose parents came from India. He can sing sensitive ballads in an appealing way, but falters very badly on contemporary uptempo R&B, which he stubbornly tries to perform about half the time.

Scott MacIntyre, a blind pianist who sang Christian easy listening music before coming on the show. He has a bland, likeable style which does not resonate much with me. He could be very popular with the kind of audience that thinks that John Denver was really heavy. He sang a Billy Joel song last night, which was his best performance so far;

Matt Giraud--a pianist from Kalamazoo, a white guy who can sing blues and 1950s r&b quite well, but resists it and sometimes tries to sing contemporary alternative rock instead, which he is miserable at--such as last night.

I could see myself following the careers of Adam Lambert, Lil Rounds, Danny Gokey, Kris Allen and Allison Iraheta in the future, and buying their better albums. I had not expected so much musical quality. If Adam Lambert does not become a star it will be surprising.

Edited by Hot Ptah

HP, I watched every season with my late wife. . . until last season I just found it too hard to watch without her. This season I tried once all the bad singers were out of the way. . . wasn't impressed with the singers I heard when they were down to twelve or so. It's nice that you are watching that as a family. But if I never hear Randy Jackson or Paula Abdul make comments again I'll be just fine, thank you. Man that stuff gets tired fast.

HP, I watched every season with my late wife. . . until last season I just found it too hard to watch without her. This season I tried once all the bad singers were out of the way. . . wasn't impressed with the singers I heard when they were down to twelve or so. It's nice that you are watching that as a family. But if I never hear Randy Jackson or Paula Abdul make comments again I'll be just fine, thank you. Man that stuff gets tired fast.

I can do without the judges, yes.

Saw Lil Rounds last night and maybe it was just the dress she ws wearing but that's got to be the most ironic name ever...haven't watched this year since the initial auditions and just was the recap last night, I too get tired of the judges...

I noticed that too. Until last night, her clothing had been flattering and she had not seemed overweight.