The Taxman Is A Knockin', Tick, Tock,Tick, Tock

Are You Done With You Taxes  

65 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 3 years later...
  • 11 months later...

I use an accountant. Don't trust myself. He's still not done though. And I'm not sure I trust him anymore than I trust myself. He screwed up the 2005 return, earning me a letter from the IRS stating I owed them thousands of dollars -- he hadn't included the cost basis for a stock that I had sold (at a loss), even though he had the information. Turns out the government owed me $10. Keeping my fingers crossed this year.

Pretty complicated as always. This year I didn't sell a house (seems like every other year) so the Schedule D was marginally less complicated. Had massive schedule D losses on various investments but those mostly will have to be carried forward to 2009. This year my wife did enough Secret Shopping as an "independent contractor" that we had to include the Self-Employment Tax and Schedule C-EZ.

Anyway, feds owed me about $700 and I owed the state $350, so pretty close to a wash. A lot closer than many years.

Did mine last night, and for the first time in my working career (all 23 years of it), I'm not getting a refund. On the one hand, it's nice to know that I didn't issue the govt. an interest-free loan this year. On the other hand, I'd rather get money back from the government than having to pay it. Still, it could've been far worse than it is.

Sitting at the libary waiting to get my taxes done

Sounds like the first line of a blues tune.

"Sittin' at the libary waiting to get my taxes done

(I said I'm) sittin' at the libary waiting to get my taxes done

The taxman he take it all away

and I don't get to keep me none"

I like "libary" just as is. :)

Edited by Free For All

haha, this was to good to let go by without adding a :rofl: .

You just know there'd be some uptight Marian-the-librarian shushing him, "No singin' the blues at the libary."

• 3 years later...

The last two years I've been a victim of identity theft on my tax account and now filing is a Kafkaesque mess. Not because I've been threatened by the IRS or audited or anything (yet). But because it's impossible to tell whether or not the IRS has done anything to clear up my account and there are disturbing signs that they haven't. Last year it was the correspondence they kept sending me that had my first name wrong. Two months ago I sent their fraud division a letter along with a copy of my social security card to fix it. This year I had this conversation:

"Hi, I know I need to use the ID Protection PIN you sent me but I also need a separate PIN to e-file. Your online system is refusing to give me one."

"Did you put in your correct address?"

"Yes. Didn't work."

"Do you have last year's filing PIN? You can just use that."

"Didn't e-file last year because you told me I couldn't because of the identity theft."

"Oh fine, well we can just use your AGI. Do you have that?"

"Yes, but I tried that and that didn't work."

"What's your SSN/name/date of birth?"

I tell them.

"OK, your AGI last year was [NUMBER MUCH HIGHER THAN MY REAL AGI]. You put that in when e-filing."

"That is not my AGI. That must be the AGI the identity thieves used."

"Well, you can't get a PIN without it. I suggest you use it if you want to e-file."

"I'm supposed to put in a false AGI in your form because you still think that's my real AGI? How has this not been resolved yet? And isn't this going to lead to a bigger mess for years to come as I'll now be legitimizing the mess that's become of my account?"

[MUFFLED SOUND OF THUMB BEING SHOVED UP ASS]

"OK, just do me one favor please. Can you at least look up my name and tell me what name is on my account?"

"Sure, it's [sAME WRONG NAME AS APPEARS ON ALL MY IRS MAIL]."

"FFS I sent your ID theft guys this two months ago!"

"No problem, I just fixed it for you." [This is something that required 3 calls to the fraud division to assure me the only way to resolve it would be to send in a photocopy of my social security card and she just apparently went in and changed it in 3 seconds, so either the fraud division is full of crap or she just blatantly broke some security precaution. Or, more likely, whatever change she thought she was making isn't actually going to work because there may be several different IRS databases that have only been half-explained to me in the past and it appears the database that matters is not so easily changed. So I'm just going to keep getting mail addressed to [WRONG NAME] forever.]

FIN

Can't wait till next year!

Edited by Big Wheel

I really feel for you. It's obvious (to me) that the IRS went too far in allowing e-filing these instant returns without enough true security measures, and I've read some real horror stories. But try getting them to change -- or even acknowledge the scope of the problem. :(