Shelly Manne: Live at the Black Hawk

neveronfriday

:)

I'm just pissed that Concord has deleted so many OJCs (though I bought 'em like crazy in the past few years), that BN is not bringing back some missing pieces (such as the Cliff Jordan album) and their older stuff (Meade Lux Lewis, Art Hodes...), and that Universal is only doing these silly Originals (although I keep buying them, even those that miss tracks that were included on earlier CD versions).

For these losses, the European boots can't make up!

Although I confess buying them (most recently Fresh Sound's fine Lateef 1957 box, two thirds of which I've had before of course, and Lonehill's John Graas and Illinois Jacquet series).

• 4 weeks later...

Up!

Because all the music that was released on the five volumes 'Live at the Black Hawk' are being reissued on the American Jazz Classics ( from Spain!?!) label, a 4CD box.

Something that Fantasy/Concord should have done years ago.

Shelly Manne and his men recorded this in September 1959, 50 years ago.

EU fans will be happy to get the box :) . Non-EU fans will feel guilty if they ever purchase it :(

Is American Jazz Clasics similar to Lonehill and Gambit, a European label reissuing 50 year old + material? I saw Sonny Stitts Plays Jimmy Giuffre is coming out, but I would prefer a Japanese (or US) reissue.

Thanks,

Baker

Probably cheaper than the new set, I'd guess. Of course, Amazon has priced it as an import, so it's probably cheaper in the EU:

Paradoxically, many of those public domain reissues are not cheap, some are even more expensive than the originals.

This set is reasonably priced, 23€ at Amazon.fr (but twice the price at Amazon.de :crazy: )

http://www.amazon.fr/Complete-Live-At-Black-Hawk/dp/B002XVZ1MQ/

http://www.amazon.de/Complete-Live-At-Black-Hawk/dp/B002XVZ1MQ/

Edited by Claude

Up!

Because all the music that was released on the five volumes 'Live at the Black Hawk' are being reissued on the American Jazz Classics ( from Spain!?!) label, a 4CD box.

Shelly Manne and his men recorded this in September 1959, 50 years ago.

EU fans will be happy to get the box :) . Non-EU fans will feel guilty if they ever purchase it :(

Is American Jazz Clasics similar to Lonehill and Gambit, a European label reissuing 50 year old + material? I saw Sonny Stitts Plays Jimmy Giuffre is coming out, but I would prefer a Japanese (or US) reissue.

Thanks,

Baker

Yes. "American Jazz Classics" is one of those public domain "Andorran" labels.

• 2 weeks later...

I received the new box set (complete and in recorded order) some days ago.Am loving it!! I have one of the volumes and several others on CD-R. The box set is well done and the sound is wonderful.I was listening to the XRCD of Miles' "Bags Groove" which sounds fantastic immediately after listening to one of these volumes and the sound was quite fine by comparison-I am impressed.Nice recording work by Mr. Nunn and Contemporary!

I had waited years for this to be re-released remastered as a box set by Fantasy or now Concord,don't hold your breath folks! Leave it to the Spaniards,but give credit where it is due. THIS IS TOP FLIGHT 50's JAZZ THAT DESERVES TO BE HEARD IN IT'S ENTIRETY!! Buy this box set,you won't regret it.

Dr. Jeff

The apex/touchstone titles on Contemporary for me are the 50s Art Pepper and Sonny Rollins LPs. Those series are worth a raving post or two or three or a dozen-plus. I sold off my Manne Hole CDs years ago, just couldn't compete with the other 300-400 best of the best (labels, genre) titles out there. Are these Shelly Manne's absolute best?

The apex/touchstone titles on Contemporary for me are the 50s Art Pepper and Sonny Rollins LPs. Those series are worth a raving post or two or three or a dozen-plus. I sold off my Manne Hole CDs years ago, just couldn't compete with the other 300-400 best of the best (labels, genre) titles out there. Are these Shelly Manne's absolute best?

That's a tough question to answer for any Manne fan because the level of his overall output was so uniformly high. If I had to pack for a no return trip to the proverbial desert island and I could take only a limited number of CD's, these would probably be among them. I've said it before; I think this is the finest example of live jazz ever recorded.

Just got the box set and am really enjoying it. One question: How do they know the order in which the tunes were recorded? The Contemporary cds give the dates but not the actual set list. Also, am I nuts or do the insturments change physical position on different nights? I'm just on disc 2 but the bass seems to have moved from the left side to the right on the second night.

all the music that was released on the five volumes 'Live at the Black Hawk' are being reissued on the American Jazz Classics ( from Spain!?!) label, a 4CD box.

Indeed. I do have all the OJC discs, but I don't like the way they released this material.

Funny this thread just popped up. I just received Vols. 1,2,4 and 5 today (Volume 3 arrived a couple of days ago from a closer Amazon distro). I've had these on my wish list for years. I saw the price drop recently on Amazon to $8.97 each (along with quite a few other OJCs...time to go hunting). I agree with the early comments in the thread about the sound quality and the consistency in the performances. Overall a very nice chunck of music...regardless of which coast from which it came.

• 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I agree with all the positive comments on these live albums, it starts exactly as they mean to go along, with that superlative laid back version of Summertime and sustains the intensity throughout. The OJC CD version is also evidence that first generaton CDs could deliver excellence in sound.

I agree with all the positive comments on these live albums, it starts exactly as they mean to go along, with that superlative laid back version of Summertime and sustains the intensity throughout.

yes, Vol.1 feat "Summertime" already sets the tone nicely.......

A question to those in the know (to make sure I understood correctly what I read earlier in this thred and saw elsewhere):

"Only" the Blackhawks Vol. 1 to 4 were ever released on vinyl (I have Vols. 1 to 3), and Vol. 5 was/is "CD only"?

A question to those in the know (to make sure I understood correctly what I read earlier in this thred and saw elsewhere):

"Only" the Blackhawks Vol. 1 to 4 were ever released on vinyl (I have Vols. 1 to 3), and Vol. 5 was/is "CD only"?

to my knowledge vol.5, consisting solely of previously unissued tracks, is cd only