Joss Stone......

wolff

I still can't decide to buy her albums or not. I've listened to clips from them and I am leaning towards getting Soul Sessions. I hope she keeps it simple and does not get over produced. I can't stand many of the young female singers.

I liked Mariah Carey right off, but now I do not.

Do you guys, who liked her on first listen, still like her?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simply put, if she was black she would not be famous. If she was over 30 she would not be famous. She is a pretender. She COULD be a good singer, but you can tell she simply is not there yet. reminds of when Keeny Wayne Shepard was such a big deal in the blues world. Almost always, kids dont have soul. Soul comes from wisdom, wisom comes from age.

And yes, I was VERY impressed when I first heard her. But it wore off quickly. You are MUCH better off picking up another aretha album.

A bit too Whoa- a-whoa-W-WHOAAAHHHHH

for me. She undoubtadly has a good voice but the subtleties of a good soul voice i.e. Aretha, aren't there. Or if they are, she don't use them.

From what I've heard of the latest album the material is patchy too and gets tired very quickly.

She's a damn fine fillie though :P

Edited by tonym

Well, I liked her on first listen, and I still like her. "The Soul Sessions" is the best thing she's done to date, but her version of "Alfie" from the movie soundtrack is excellent as well. "Mind, Body, and Soul" is, indeed, patchy but it has its share of good songs. "Jet Lag" is great, although I have a live version I got off of iTunes that I like even better...

Simply put, if she was black she would not be famous.

I don't see what the color of her skin has to do with it. Should white singers who sing soul NOT go into show biz because they MIGHT become more successful than worthy black singers? Should Elvis Presley have continued driving a truck because he MIGHT overshadow Big Mama Thorton or Junior Parker? If white singers get privilidged over black singers, its our culture's problem, not the singer's.

She is fun to watch. . . I haven't bought the albums. I think she'll get better over the next few albums. I agree that "wisdom" will enhance her efforts.

Alexander, I agree it is our culture's problem, and md655 didn't say it wasn't!

~~joss1.jpeg

Edited by jazzbo

Joss_Stone_2_-_Jazzfest_2004_-_lg.6187099.jpg

.... ;)

Jeez she really does look like my missus on that pic.

Just holds the mic differently.

edited for spoolingh

Careful now... She is only 17.

Which is why people shouldn't judge her as an adult!!! How good was Aretha at 17??? How many good soul singers are there these days???? (Who are under 30?)

I don't have any albums, but she doesn't sound like everyone else today, which is aok in my book. She doesn't want to be another bland pop singer, and with her looks, she could take the easy way to stardom, but didn't.

Actually Aretha was I think a good dollop better at 17. That gospel record she recorded even earlier was amazing. By 18 I believe she was making some pretty spectacular stuff for Columbia. She seemed to have a bit more depth and maturity at that age than Joss is showing. . . .

Joss_Stone_2_-_Jazzfest_2004_-_lg.6187099.jpg

.... ;)

Jeez she really does look like my missus on that pic.

Just holds the mic differently.

edited for spoolingh

Careful now... She is only 17.

I believe the age of consent in the U.K. (minus Northern Ireland where it's 17) is 16.

So lust away. ;)

Actually Aretha was I think a good dollop better at 17. That gospel record she recorded even earlier was amazing. By 18 I believe she was making some pretty spectacular stuff for Columbia. She seemed to have a bit more depth and maturity at that age than Joss is showing. . . .

Aretha was always good, and showed a lot of potential as a kid, but to my ears, she sounds just like that, a kid....I just don't know why people expect Joss to be as Aretha ever was, or else she ain't worth anything......

I'm not arguing about expecting Joss not to sound like a kid. I'm not really even a Joss disliker.

But 'Retha didn't sound like a kid at 18 to me at all. There is a discernible differnce to me. Not everyone IS like Aretha though. Nor should they be expected to be.

Edited by jazzbo

Aretha almost had no choice but to be great at an early age, being C.F Franklin's daughter and all. I've got some sermons of his recorded live in his church (originally released on Chess, iirc, and then later on Jewel/Paula), and the vibe is intense. You grow up surrounded by/immersed in that, combine it with your natural talent, and hey...

So yeah, it's not fair to expect too many people to be at that level. But life is not fair either. Fair or not, that's where the bar has been set. It's not fair to compare every tenor player to Trane or Rollins either, but that's where the bar has been set. You deal with it, go your own way do the best you can do, and make your own song, but you don't buy into or help create the hype, not if you got any portion of a clue.

"Stardom" is for the truly deserving, the freakishly lucky, the totally clueless, and/or the completely evil (and, yes, that can and does come as a combo meal). Everybody else should be happy with having a career.

How many good soul singers are there these days???? (Who are under 30?)

Alicia Keys

Jill Scott

India Arie (maybe under 30)

Beyonce Knowles

Christina Aguilera

(and when she was under 30) Mariah Carey

...can all sing circles around Joss Stone.

Edited by RainyDay

Alicia Keys

Jill Scott

Beyonce Knowles

Christina Aguilera

I guess the definition of soul has changed. These are pop/r&b singers as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by wolff

Alicia Keys

Jill Scott

Beyonce Knowles

Christina Aguilera

I guess the definition of soul has changed. These are pop/r&b singers as far as I'm concerned.

Alica Keys definitely is modern R&B along with a good dose of vocal gymnastics and warbling.