Posted Images

Classical guitar festival at the University of Texas at Dallas this Saturday:

JEREMY JOUVE 

J%C3%A9r%C3%A9my-jouve-2%28copyright-Thi

Saturday, March 05, 4:00 pm 
Venue: CN 1.112 
Ticket: Free 
Season: 2015-16

Parisian musician Jérémy Jouvé performs. His most recent album, “Cavalcade,” blends elements of flamenco, Indian music and Ravelian accents to his existing repertoire.

www.jeremyjouve.com

ROMERO GUITAR QUARTET 

losromeros101_v-original.jpgRomero Guitar Quartet 

Saturday, March 05, 8:00 pm 
Venue: ATC 1.102 
Ticket: $25 

Founded by renowned guitarist and composer Celedonio Romero and his sons Celin, Pepe and Angel, the Romero Guitar Quartet is often referred to as “The Royal Family of the Guitar.” The quartet has played with many major symphony orchestras including those of Los Angeles, Boston, Chicago and Philadelphia. They have performed at Carnegie Hall, the Lincoln Center and appeared at the Vatican in a concert for Pope John Paul II. The group’s current members are Celin, Pepe, Celino and Lito Romero.

http://www.romeroguitarquartet.com/

Upcoming on April 2, at the Allen Public Library, Abhisek Lahiri (Sarod) and Subrata Bhattacharya (tabla)

Notwithstanding the traditional essence which is one of the predominant feature of Indian Classical Music, Abhisek Lahiri, one of the youngest President Award Winning A grade Sarod artist of Prasar Bharati and Doordarshan has blended his baaj by the norms of the venerable raagdariwith the neoteric idiosyncrasy of chalan, taan, chords and by introducing unanticipated instantaneous notes and startling phrases. Though he was trained under his eminent father and guru Pandit Alok Lahiri from a very tender age in the Guru Sishya Parampara, his approach of playing Sarod belongs to the three major gharanas of Sarod which are Shajahanpur, Senia Maihar and Senia Bangash (Gwalior). By embracing the meed and the tonal depth of the instrument Abhisek has entangled his Alaap with the compelling trait of Jod which finally ends up followed by the Gat which reflects this young maestro's unparallel alacrity with immense understanding of Laya and it needs no mention that all these equitable attributes of his performance have won the hearts of thousands of audience across the globe.

Abhisek started performing in public at an early age of 11 years though he got his first break in national level in 1997 when he was invited by Pandit Hariprasad Chaurasia to play at Saath Saath Festival in Mumbai and that year he also gave his debut performance abroad in the Netherlands at the World Kinder Festival where he was named as an Wonder Kid. That was just the commencement of an outstanding prodigy's lifelong commitment towards music which later laid to extensive concerts through Europe, U.K., U.S.A., Canada, Sri Lanka, Japan and Bangladesh, apart from India. He with his father Pandit Alok Lahiri possesses the dignity of performing as the first Indians at the Europe Parliament in France and in Cannes World Music Festival and also in Canada Culture Days in Toronto. Abhisek has created an amalgamation with the Japanese Guitarist Hideaki Tsuji and his collaboration Ionah which represents world music and has got worldwide recognition. Abhisek's music albums Sparkling Sarod got nomination at GIMA in 2010 and in 2014 again his album Mood of Puriya Kalyan got nominated in GIMA along with alongside the legends of Indian Music.

Major Performances (in India):

• Saath-Saath Festival in Mumbai, organized by legendary Pt. Hari Prasad Chaurasia

• All India Radio Music Festival in Shimla

• Dover Lane Music Conference in Kolkata

• Harivallabh Sangeet Sammelan in Jalandhar

• Ramakrishna Mission Institute of Culture,Golpark(Kolkata)

• Sangeet Natak Academy Sangeet Pratibha Festival in Gwalior

• National Center for Performing Arts (NCPA) - Mumbai

• Biswa Banga Sammelan on behalf of Govt. of West Bengal

• Basanta Utsav in Jorasanko Thakurbari - Kolkata

• Saptak Music Festival - Nasik

• West Bengal State Music Academy Annual Concert - Kolkata

• India Habitat Centre in New Delhi

• Jnana Pravaha Music Festival, presented by Sangeet Ashram, Kolkata

• Arohi Music Festival- Mumbai        

• Isha Yaksha Festival in Coimbatore

• Anirban Sangeet Sammelan - Kolkata

• 11th Saltlake City Music Festival - Kolkata

• Ballygunj Maitreyi Music Circle - Kolkata

• Paramparik Music Festival - Kolkata

• Sangeet Piyasi - Kolkata

• Swaramayee Gurukul - Pune

• Bhairav Kalyan Utsav & Smriti Utsav - Mumbai

• Kalibari Music Festival - Lucknow

• Music Festivals in Assam & Tripura

• Culturall Music Conference in Allahabad

• Sangit Parishad Kashi in Varanasi

• Ustad Rahimat Khan Sangeet Samaroh in Dharwad

• Ustad Rajjab Ali Khan Sangeet in Dewas – Madhya Pradesh

Major Performances (International):

• Darbar Festival, London

• Sacred Music Festival, Strasbourg - France

• Europe Parliament - France

• Canada Culture Days, Hamilton - Canada

• World Music Day Festival - Cannes

• Theatre de la Ville, Paris

• Tropen Theatre - Amsterdam

• Musee Guimet, Paris

• India Night Festival, Stuttgart - Germany

• FIMU Festival, Belfort

• Raag-Mala Music Society, Edmonton and Calgary

• Virasat Foundation, Vancouver

• India Festival, Strasbourg

• TSS Multicultural Festival, Toronto

• The Malhar Group Spring Fest - Hamilton

• Shilpakala Academy & Alliance Francaise de Dhaka - Bangladesh

• India Culture Centre, Tokyo

• International Classical Guitar Festival

• Hamamatsu Museum of Musical Instruments, Hamamatsu- Japan

• University of Victoria, B.C

MARILYN CRISPELL, piano

StaticMapService.GetMapImage?1m2&1i96679
vt?pb=!1m5!1m4!1i14!2i3777!3i6821!4i256!
vt?pb=!1m5!1m4!1i14!2i3777!3i6822!4i256!
vt?pb=!1m5!1m4!1i14!2i3776!3i6822!4i256!
vt?pb=!1m5!1m4!1i14!2i3776!3i6821!4i256!
vt?pb=!1m5!1m4!1i14!2i3778!3i6821!4i256!
vt?pb=!1m5!1m4!1i14!2i3778!3i6822!4i256!

Leo J. Welder Center
214 N. Main Street - Victoria
Details
mapcnt6.png
google4.png

Map data ©2016 Google

tmapctrl.png

tmapctrl.png

cb_scout5.png
cb_scout5.png
cb_scout5.png

Date/Time
Friday, March 11, 2016
7:30 pm

button-purchase-tickets

Category  

A co-production with the UHV Downtown Arts Series
Tickets: $20 / $10 students

crispell2.jpg

An intimate solo performance by legendary contemporary jazz pianist Marilyn Crispell, known for her exciting, soulful improvisations and compositions. Crispell has made over 50 recordings as a soloist and with adventurous jazz performers including Anthony Braxton, Reggie Workman, Steve Lacy, Gerry Hemingway, Joseph Jarman, Paul Motian, Fred Anderson, Tim Berne, Peter Brötzmann, Gary Peacock, and Hamid Drake.

Crispell is the recipient of three New York Foundation for the Arts Fellowship grants, a Guggenheim Fellowship, and a Mary Flagler Cary Charitable Trust composition commission.

“Seeing and hearing Crispell play live is a stunning experience…. a passionate motivation that approaches shamanistic spirituality.”
–Derek Richardson, The East Bay Express (CA)

“One of the great performer‐composers at work today. Not only is the music fresh and alive, but its improvisational components hold together more than the music of many composers
who write in a similar fashion.”  —Ear Magazine

“One can’t quite believe that she can play so perfectly and still be human.” –Scott Yanow, Downbeat Magazine

• 2 weeks later...

Sun Ra Arkestra in Austin March 18 for some sort of shopping promotional event.

The Sun Ra Arkestra, A Truly Extraterrestrial Sound & Experience

By JaLissa Latson | Published: March 17, 2016

SunRa_EBArtists

We all know the classic, incomparable Jazz greats like Ella Fitzgerald, Duke Ellington, Billie Holiday, Miles Davis and many more. However, when considering who pioneered this genre beyond our years, we have to attribute this to Sun Ra.

Jazz composer/icon, pioneer, innovator, bandleader, cosmic philosopher, and the list could honestly go on as to what the late Sun Ra was to music and the universe. Creating over 200 albums and his own label, Saturn Records, Sun Ra was a pioneer in all facets of musical palettes and was never timid about experimenting with fresh sounds. Ra drew inspiration from his passion for astronomy, religion and the various social movements of his time. A truly unique spirit, the genius and creative that he was enabled him to seamlessly integrate science fiction and music.

Forming his Arkestra in the early 1950’s allowed his sound to evolve on an even greater scale. As both a band and spiritual leader Sun Ra founded what we know today as the Sun Ra Arkestra. Under the directorship of composer/saxophonist Marshall Allen, the Sun Ra Arkestra have shared the stage with the likes of Kamasi Washington and Pharoah Sanders. Proclaiming that music is “universal language” the Arkestra has and continues to tour across the globe, delivering jazz influences to the masses.

This Friday the Sun Ra Arkestra will bless the Saint Heron team in Austin with a performance at our “Black Sky, Blue Moon” exclusive, intimate shopping event. Not only will we celebrate the launch of our new shop with BIGCOMMERCE, but we will also celebrate a legacy of uniqueness that has inspired so many. Unafraid of expression in both their music and fashion choices, the Sun Ra Arkestra is and will always be one word, iconic.

Get into some photos of the legendary band and bandleader below. Also watch the Sun Ra Arkestra perform “Face the Music/Space Is the Place” below.

Sun-Ra2

Now that I think about it, is this the end of the world?

Bebel Gilberto

BEBEL GILBERTO

$24.00 to $36.00 +fee
BUY

Wednesday
MAY

6:00pm Bar Opens
7:00pm Theater Doors Open
8:00pm Showtime
ALL AGES

WHERE

The Kessler

1230 W. Davis St.

DallasTX 75208

map_icon.png

The multi-Grammy-nominated Bebel Gilberto released Tudo on Sony Masterworks in 2014; her first studio recording in five years. Tudo, which means “everything” in English, showcases Bebel’s ethereal vocals and wistful, dreamy song writing in each of the CD’s 12 tracks. Bebel splits her time between Rio de Janeiro and New York City; she’s exquisitely synthesized musical influences from both cities in every track. Bebel’s sultry tonality is constant throughout Tudo as are the warm and playful Brazilian rhythms that include the berimbau, wood bongos and shakers. The gorgeous melodies are shaped by touches of electronica, and Bebel’s intimate vocals hint at a fantastical Rio de Janeiro.

Bebel had been tucking away musical gems over the past five years, from joyful melodies, to reflective, romantic lyrics, which appear on Tudo. In 2013 while working in Brazil on the Bebel Gilberto in Rio DVD, the rhythms began stirring inside her. Although she’d been ordered to rest in order to combat exhaustion, Bebel believed it was the right time to record; she knew the music would be strong. Despite the challenges 2013 brought, “I’m a good bon vivant,” assured Bebel who always finds time for friends, attending to her rooftop garden overlooking Manhattan’s skyline, or walking on the beach, “I know how to live.” Tudo is perhaps Bebel’s most intimate recording, captures the human vulnerabilities that bring both sorrows and joy.

Tudo was recorded in Brazil, New York City, and Los Angeles; produced and mixed by Mario Caldato Jr in early 2014. Bebel was able to gather her favorite musicians from all over the globe, liberally using the words “amazing,” “beautiful,” “heaven,” “a luxury!” to describe their talents and contributions to Tudo. Bebel chose to work with the producer Mario Caldato Jr. because, as she put it, “I’m so eclectic, I needed one producer to translate it all.”

Gilberto was born in New York to Brazilian music icons João Gilberto and Miúcha. Her musical education was her childhood in Brazil. She was surrounded by extended family including her uncle Chico Buarque and family friends like Milton Nacimento, Tom Jobim, Caetano Veloso, and João Donato; she made her first recording at age 7. “I just turned 48, so it’s been 41 years!” exclaims Bebel with a laugh, “I’m really proud, but tired too!”

Bebel’s life-long eclectic musical tastes are made palpable when listening to Tudo. In addition to living and breathing all types of Brazilian musical styles as a child, she was exposed to the greats, from Debussy to Prince; Michel Legrand to Billie Holliday; Bjork to Gershwin. Also evident on Tudo some tracks for than others, is her love for North American soul; she discovered Donna Summer, Earth Wind and Fire, and Michael Jackson on the dance floor as a budding teenager. “The whole disco thing plays a big role in my heart,” says Bebel, who still loves to dance.

Several years after Bebel moved to New York City in 1991 her present day sound of electronic meets Brazilian began to crystallize. “Little by little, I learned what I wanted musically,” says Bebel, who gigged all around the city and collaborated with many artists. She established a weekly gig at The Greatest Bar on Earth, on top of the Worldtrade Center in the early 1990’s that drew a fervent international crowd. “At that gig, everything started to come together,” says Bebel. “I think there I became a New Yorker—with a Brazilian heart of course!”

Tudo is sung in Portuguese, English—sometimes in the same song—and a touch of French. Bebel was delighted to finally record a duet with Seu Jorge, a friend for more than 20 years; their “Nova Idea” is a sexy mix of harmony and charm. Tudo features a mix of original tracks written or co-written by Bebel as well as other composers like Cesar Mendez who also plays guitar. She covers the Jobim classic “Vivo Sonhando,” and sings a devastating version of Neil Young’s “Harvest Moon,” which she preformed in 2011 at Carnegie Hall, and also made her debut playing guitar.

Tudo musicians include Masa Shimizu on guitars, who is one of Bebel’s longest running collaborators, “He can read my mind!” says Bebel. Didi Gutman of Brazilian Girls fame plays piano and percussionist Mauro Refosco plays a variety of drums and even bottle caps. Liminha, who was part of Mutantes,  also co-produced Tudo, along with Kassin, who plays electric and acoustic bass and guitars; And the extremely talented Miguel Atwood-Ferguson created the string arrangements, as well as a magical new sound, which according to bebel was the cherry on top of the cake.

April 1, 2016: Tutu Jones, The Goat, Dallas

April 1-2, 2016: Jonathan Kreisberg, Collin College, Plano

April 1-4, 2016: Lazy Lester, Antone's, Austin

April 2, 2016: Joey DeFrancesco, University of Texas at Dallas

April 2, 2016: Abhisek Lahiri and Subrata Bhattacharya (4 p.m.), Allen Public Library

April 9, 2016: Terell Stafford, Bates Recital Hall, Austin

April 9, 2016: Ronu Majumdar, Austin Waldorf School, Austin

April 7-10, 2016, Delfeayo Marsalis, Ellis Marsalis, Bill Summers, Walter Wolfman Washington, Little Freddie King, Astral Project, Carl LeBlanc, French Quarter Festival, New Orleans

April 9-10, 2016: Buddy Guy, Kenny Neal, Walter Wolfman Washington, James Chicken Scratch Johnson, Baton Rouge Blues Festival

April 12, 2016: Branford Marsalis, Walton Center, Fayetteville, Arkansas

April 12, 2016: SF Jazz Collective, One World Theater, Austin

April 13, 2016: SF Jazz Collective, Annette Straus Square, Dallas

April 14, 2016: SF Jazz Collective, Cactus Hotel, San Angelo

April 14, 2016: Carl Weathersby, Antone's, Austin

April 15, 2016: Maceo Parker, Antone's, Austin

April 15, 2016: Chick Corea and Bela Fleck, Paramount Theater, Austin

April 15, 2016: Pancho Sanchez Latin Jazz Orchestra, Main Street Arts Festival, Fort Worth

April 16, 2016: Tutu Jones, Sons of Hermman Hall, Dallas

April 16, 2016, SF Jazz Collective, Cullen Theater, Houston

April 16, 2016: Maceo Parker, Main Street Arts Festival, Fort Worth

April 17, 2016: Jason Moran, Meet Me at MacGregor, MacGregor Park, Houston

April 21, 2016: Wayne Shorter and Herbie Hancock, Bass Hall, Austin

April 20-24, 2016: Daby Toure, The Garifuna Collective, Festival Internationale de Louisiane, Lafayette

April 22, 2016: Geri Allen': The Errol Garner Project, Donald Harrison, Jason Marsalis, Christian Scott, Aya Takazawa, Bria Skonberg, Alvin Youngblood Hart, New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival

April 23, 2016: Dejohnette Coltrane Garrison, Henry Butler, Victor Goines, Jarekus Singleton, The Garifuna Collective, New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival

April 24, 2016: Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter, Henry Butler, Terence  Blanchard, Herman Riley, Little Freddie King, The Garifuna Collective, Leroy Jones, New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival

April 28, 2016: Mark Whitfield Family Band, Bernard Allison, Marlon Jordan, Bill Summers, New Orleans Jazz and Heritage  Festival

April 29, 2016: Joe Lovano, Nicholas Payton, Irwin Mayfield, Astral Project, New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival

April 29, 2016: Arturo O'Farrill Latin Jazz Octet, Walton Center, Fayetteville, Arkansas

April 29, 2016: Patrice Rushen, Denton Jazz and Arts Festival

April 30, 2016: Buddy Guy, Jamil Sharif, Lil Buck Sinegal, New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival

May 1, 2016: Heads of State (Gary Bartz, Larry Willis, Al Foster, George Mraz), Ellis Marsalis, Walter Wolfman Washington, The Mashup, New Orleans Jazz  and Heritage  Festival  

May 7, 2016: Dave Burrell and Andrew Cyrille, Christ Church Cathedral, Houston

May 8, 2016: Dave Burrell and Steve Swell, Christ Church Cathedral, Houston

May 13, 2016: Alfredo Rodriguez Trio, Carver Center, San Antonio

May 14, 2016: Peter Brotzmann, North Door, Austin

May 16, 2016: Bebel Gilberto, One World Theater, Austin

May 17, 2016: Bebel Gilberto, Tobin Center, San Antonio

May 18, 2016: Bebel Gilberto, Kessler Theater, Dallas

May 19, 2016: Delfeayo Marsalis, Fort Worth Public Library

May 21, 2016: Zac Harmon, Keys Lounge, Fort Worth

May 26, 2016: Chris Thomas King, Rock 101, Frisco

May 28, 2016: Savion Glover and Jack DeJohnette, Carver Center, San Antonio

June 3-4, 2016: Roy Gaines, Eric Gales, T Bone Walker Blues Festival, Longview

June 5, 2016: Eric Gales, Guitar Sanctuary, McKinney

June 11, 2016: T.N. Krishna, Dell Fine Arts Theater, Austin

June 17, 2016: Joe Krown Trio with Walter Wolfman Washington, Antone's, Austin

June 18, 2016: Pravin Godkhindi and Satish Tagbe, University of St. Thomas, Jones Hall, Houston

June 25, 2016: Shahid Parvez, Austin

July 23, 2016: Tutu Jones, Liberty Hall, Tyler, Texas

August 4-7, 2016: Satchmo Summerfest, New Orleans

September 22, 2016: Cedric Burnside, Antone's, Austin

October 1, 2016: Niladri Kumar and Zakir Hussain, Austin

December 16, 2016: Stanley Clarke, One World Theater, Austin

February 18, 2017: Joey Alexander, McAllister Auditorium, San Antonio College

February 25, 2017: Gonzalo Rubalcaba, Laurie Auditorium, Trinity University, San Antonio

Edited by kh1958

In Denton, I guess it depends on which friends she brings along.

Patrice Rushen & Friends
Friday, April 29, 2016
9:00 pm - Jazz Stage

Multi-Grammy nominated artist, Patrice Rushen, is fashioning her career after the legacy of her long-time friend and mentor, Quincy Jones. Composer…Producer…International Recording Artist… Rushen has definitely earned the respect she has been awarded by her peers in the music industry. Rushen has amassed an impressive list of “firsts”. She was the first woman to serve as Musical Director for the 46th, 47th & 48th Annual Grammy Awards, the first woman in 43 years to serve as Head Composer/Musical Director for television’s high honor, the Emmy Awards and the first woman Musical Director of the NAACP Image Awards and HBO’s Comic Relief. A classically trained pianist, Rushen has spent a lifetime honing the skills that maker her one of the music industry’s most versatile and sought after artists. ASCAP honored here publishing company for the song “Men in Black”, as the 1997 Most Performed Song from a Motion Picture.

Curently, her career focus is composing for films, television and orchestras. Some of the many artists she has recorded with include: Carlos Santana, Quincy Jones, Stanley Clarke, The Temptations, Al Jarreau, Sheena Easton, Lee Ritenour, Eddie Murphy, Prince, Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, & Ramsey Lewis. Don’t miss this performance with Patrice Rushen & Friends.

JOEY DEFRANCESCO TRIO

Joey DeFrancesco

Saturday, April 02, 8:00 pm 
Clark Center Auditorium 
Ticket: $20 

Internationally-renowned American jazz organist, trumpeter and vocalist Joey DeFrancesco has released more than 30 albums, performed with musicians such as Ray Charles, Bette Midler and David Sanborn and has been nominated for two Grammys.

www.joeydefrancesco.com

Start Date:  4/1/2016 Start Time:  6:30 PM
End Date:  4/1/2016 End Time:  10:00 PM
This event recurs on a custom schedule.   Click here to see the series dates.
Event Description:

Collin Jazz Fest

The 24th annual Collin Jazz Fest features New York-based guitarist/composer Jonathan Kreisberg. 

Kreisberg has been steadily building his name as one of the most compelling composer/performers in Jazz. 

Combining timeless melodicism with forward thinking lines and textures, his style and approach has created a strong following of fans around the world.  He frequently tours worldwide and records with his own groups as well artists such as Dr. Lonnie Smith, who says of Kreisberg, "He is a passionate musician with great vision, and he is constantly in fiery pursuit of innovation."

Kreisberg and his New York trio will be featured at the Friday evening opening concert, with the Collin Jaztet One (the college’s premier student combo) opening, starting at 7:30 PM in the John Anthony Theatre. 

Come early and enjoy the sounds of the Collin Jazz Combo Too performing in the Spring Creek Atrium from 6:30-7:15.

Tickets for the main stage concerts on Friday and Saturday are $8 and are available at the door (the Atrium performances are free of charge). 

For more information, contact Professor Kevin McNerney at kmcnerney@collin.edu
Location Information:
Spring Creek Campus (SCC)  (View Map)
2800 E. Spring Creek Parkway 
Plano, TX 75074
Collin
Phone: 972.881.5790

April 15, 2016: Helen Sung, Discovery Green, Houston

April 15, 2016: Maceo Parker, Antone's, Austin

April 15, 2016: Chick Corea and Bela Fleck, Paramount Theater, Austin

April 16, 2016, SF Jazz Collective, Cullen Theater, Houston

April 16, 2016: Maceo Parker, Main Street Arts Festival, Fort Worth

April 17, 2016: Jason Moran, Meet Me at MacGregor, MacGregor Park, Houston

April 20-24, 2016: Daby Toure, The Garifuna Collective, Festival Internationale de Louisiane, Lafayette

April 22, 2016: Geri Allen': The Errol Garner Project, Donald Harrison, Jason Marsalis, Christian Scott, Aya Takazawa, Bria Skonberg, Alvin Youngblood Hart, New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival

April 23, 2016: Dejohnette Coltrane Garrison, Henry Butler, Victor Goines, Jarekus Singleton, The Garifuna Collective, New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival

April 23, 2016: Tutu Jones, Texas Musicians Museum, Irving

April 24, 2016: Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter, Henry Butler, Terence  Blanchard, Herlin Riley, Little Freddie King, The Garifuna Collective, Leroy Jones, New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival

April 28, 2016: Mark Whitfield Family Band, Bernard Allison, Marlon Jordan, Bill Summers, New Orleans Jazz and Heritage  Festival

April 28, 2016: Shelley Carrol, Scat Jazz, Fort Worth

April 29, 2016: Joe Lovano, Nicholas Payton, Irwin Mayfield, Astral Project, New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival

April 29, 2016: Arturo O'Farrill Latin Jazz Octet, Walton Center, Fayetteville, Arkansas

April 30, 2016: Buddy Guy, Jamil Sharif, Lil Buck Sinegal, New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival

May 1, 2016: Heads of State (Gary Bartz, Larry Willis, Al Foster, George Mraz), Ellis Marsalis, Walter Wolfman Washington, The Mashup with Grant Green Jr., New Orleans Jazz  and Heritage  Festival  

June 10, 2016: Buddy Guy, Billy Bobs, Fort Worth

June 18, 2016: Pravin Godkhindi and Satish Tagbe, University of St. Thomas, Jones Hall, Houston

October 7, 2016: Jason Moran, Monk at Town Hall, Cullen Theater, Houston

October, 2016: Rakesh Chaurasia and Aditya Kalyanpur, Allen Public Library (?)

February 3, 2017: Dejohnette Coltrane Garrison, McCullough Theater, Austin

February 24, 2017: Joshua Redman, Cullen Theater, Houston

February 25, 2017: Gonzalo Rubalcaba, Laurie Auditorium, Trinity University, San Antonio

March 11, 2017: Marquis Hill Blacktet, Cullen Theater, Blacktet

April 18, 2017: Cyrus Chestnut, Bates Recital Hall, Austin

April 22, 2017: Terence Blanchard, Cullen Theater, Houston

May 5, 2017: Vijay Iyer, Cullen Theater, Houston

Edited by kh1958

• 2 weeks later...

Jason Moran: Meet Me at MacGregor

• MeetMeAtMcGreggor.jpg

A Counter Current 16 event. Visit the Counter Current Festival web site.

Presented by the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Center for the Arts in collaboration with Project Row Houses and Da Camera, as part of the Jason Moran Homecoming Residency.

“Using the basketball court as our stage and having the music fill the park…of and for the community of Houston. ” – Jason Moran

Schedule
2:00pm | Bandwagon Trio
3:00pm | DJ Cipher
3:30pm | Bandwagon Trio with Horace Grigsby
4:15pm | DJ Cipher
4:45pm | Chris Dave and Jason Moran
5:30pm | DJ Cipher

The trailblazing pianist, Jason Moran, creates a musical event in the park where he spent so many Sundays growing up in Houston. An outdoor day of live music that features, as befits a homecoming, musical guests flowing in and out of the band. As the band plays on from day into evening, the music flows, swells, recedes, unstoppable, moving like a tide overtaking the land. Special guests from Houston’s numerous music scenes – from rap to jazz to blues – will appear throughout the event. Come and go, or stay all afternoon to witness this marathon of star performances.

Da Camera JAM at Discovery Green: Helen Sung Quartet

• jazzappreciation.jpg

Free event. No tickets required.

Da Camera’s annual Jazz Appreciation Month celebration at Discovery Green kicks off with Houston native, HSPVA grad Helen Sung. 

Pianist/composer Helen Sung was an aspiring classical pianist before jazz intervened during undergraduate studies at the University of Texas at Austin, Sung went on to graduate from the Thelonious Monk Institute of Jazz Performance (at the New England Conservatory) and win the Kennedy Center’s Mary Lou Williams Jazz Piano Competition. Now based in New York, Sung has worked with such luminaries as the late Clark Terry, Ron Carter, Steve Turre, Wayne Shorter, and MacArthur Fellow Regina Carter. With five albums as leader, Sung’s sixth release Anthem For A New Day (2014) is her major label debut on Concord Records.

“extravagant chops and the zeal of a late convert” — Jazz Times

“lyricism, light touch, and classical polish…complemented by plenty of hard-chord muscle” — The Guardian, London

April 22, 2016: Geri Allen: The Errol Garner Project, Donald Harrison, Jason Marsalis, Christian Scott, Aya Takazawa, Bria Skonberg, Alvin Youngblood Hart, New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival

April 23, 2016: Tutu Jones, Texas Musicians Museum, Irving

April 24, 2016: Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter, Henry Butler, Terence  Blanchard, Herlin Riley, Little Freddie King, The Garifuna Collective, Leroy Jones, New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival

April 23-24, 2016, Rufus Reid, MATCH, Houston

May 1, 2016: Heads of State (Gary Bartz, Larry Willis, Al Foster, George Mraz), Ellis Marsalis, Walter Wolfman Washington, The Mashup with Grant Green Jr., New Orleans Jazz  and Heritage  Festival 

May 5, 2016: Carl Weathersby, Antone's, Austin 

May 19, 2016: Carl Weathersby, Antone's, Austin 

June 5, 2016: Hindustani Violin recital, Pandit Milind Raikar, Yadnesh Raikar, Pandit Shanties Shah, Allen Public Library

March 11, 2017: Marquis Hill Blacktet, Cullen Theater, Houston

Edited by kh1958

May 5, 2016: Carl Weathersby, Antone's, Austin 

May 26, 2016: Carl Weathersby, Antone's, Austin

May 29, 2016: Carl Weathersby, Antone's, Austin

June 5, 2016: Hindustani Violin recital, Pandit Milind Raikar, Yadnesh Raikar, Pandit Shanties Shah, Allen Public Library

Edited by kh1958

May 15, 2016: Peter Brotzmann, North Door, Austin

May 26, 2016: Carl Weathersby, Antone's, Austin

May 27, 2017: Shelley Carrol, Free Man, Dallas

May 29, 2016: Carl Weathersby, Antone's, Austin

June 25, 2016: Shahid Parvez, Texas School for the Deaf, Austin

June 26, 2016: Marvin Stamm, Dan's Silverleaf, Denton

September 17, 2016: Debojyoti Bose and Hindole Majumdar, University of St. Thomas, Jones Hall, Houston

October 1, 2016: Rakesh Chaurasia and Aditya Kalyanpur, University of St. Thomas, Jones Hall, Houston 

Edited by kh1958

Coming up next weekend in Houston, two concerts featuring Dave Burrell.

meless Sound
presents
  Nameless Sound
presents

Dave Burrell's Full Blown Duo
featuring Andrew Cyrille
  Dave Burrell with Steve Swell
Performing Turning Point

May 7, 2016
8pm
  May 8, 2016
8pm

Dave Burrell Andrew Cyrille   Dave Burrell with Steve Swell  
at Sanders Hall, Christ Church Cathedral
1117 Texas Ave, HOUSTON, TX 77002

Saturday, May 7, 2016
8pm

$13 General/$10 Student/FREE under 18

Dave Burrell (Philadelphia, PA) - piano
Andrew Cyrille (Montclaire, NJ) - drums, percussion
  at Sanders Hall, Christ Church Cathedral
1117 Texas Ave, HOUSTON, TX 77002

Sunday, May 8, 2016
8pm

$13 General/$10 Student/FREE under 18

Performing Turning Point, the third in a series of five suites commemorating the people and events of the American Civil War.

Dave Burrell (Philadelphia, PA) - piano
Steve Swell (New York, NY) - trombone

Peter Brötzmann Quartet

presented by Epistrophy Arts

The North Door

502 Brushy St, Austin, Texas 78702

Sunday, May 15 at 8 PM

tickets

From Germany, UK and Chicago

Peter Brötzmann - winds / Jason Adasiewicz - vibraphone
John Edwards - bass / Steve Noble - drums 

This project is supported in part by individual contributors, Ruby's BBQ and the Cultural Arts Division of the City of Austin Economic Development Department

brotzmann_train.jpg

Edited by epistrophy arts

Just back from seeing Dave Burrell and Andrew Cyrille.  Very enjoyable.  Burrell's a consistently interesting pianist, and Cyrille was a sensitive accompanist.  It helps that they're old friends.  It was nice meeting kh1958 at the show!

IMG_1489.jpg

IMG_1484.jpg