Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, Etc. Jazz & Other Concerts

After the Melvin Sparks debacle, I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread where anyone in the Dallas or Austin area might give advance warning on upcoming significant jazz concerts.

Unfortunately, I don't know of anything at present.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Their website doesn't appear to be working. The concert is described in the Dallas Observer (page 39). They give a phone no., 214-565-9026, ext. 301.

Link don't work!!! :o I even tried to look just at aamdallas.org and even that didn't work! I wanna see this! Ain't but a few of them left, doncha know!

Here are some shows coming up in Austin over the next few months. Not much in the way of jazz, but a couple of interesting things:

Alison Krauss - Jun 24

John Hiatt - July 23

Ravi & Anoushka Shankar (Norah Jones relatives <_< ) - Sept 20

The Dalai Lama (!) - Sept 20

Jimmy Scott - Sept 30

John Mayall - Oct 7

Canadian Brass - Oct 16

Longer term: Blind Boys of Alabama (Dec 05), Dave Douglas (Feb 06), Maria Schneider Orchestra (March 06), Ladysmith Black Mambazo (Apr 06), Leo Kottke (May 06)

Black Moses was incredible!

The band played so incredibly close to the original recorded Bar-Kays line up

that it was downright eerie!

TWO cuts from "Hot Buttered Soul" (first half of the LP) were played:

Hyperbolicsyllabicsesquedalymistic & Walk On By,

and I thought that this woman was gonna have a heartattack

right after the first notes of "I Stand Accused" were played.

She was right tho! Still, one of his most achingly beautiful tunes.

It was nearly 90° and how he could play/sing in an all black (with light red trim) gown kinda thingy

(a long dashiki?) was beyond me!

Anyway, everyone should at least get a copy of "The Isaac Hayes Movement"

and listen (again?) to "I Stand Accused"!

what a great night! (and free!)

Forgot: of course, he ended the night with "Theme from Shaft"

but we were also treated to "Soulsville" and "Do Your Thing."

---

Now playing: Anthony Braxton - Everything I Love

Edited by rostasi

Here are some shows coming up in Austin over the next few months.  Not much in the way of jazz, but a couple of interesting things:

Alison Krauss - Jun 24

John Hiatt - July 23

Ravi & Anoushka Shankar (Norah Jones relatives  <_< ) - Sept 20

The Dalai Lama (!) - Sept 20

Jimmy Scott - Sept 30

John Mayall - Oct 7

Canadian Brass - Oct 16

Longer term:  Blind Boys of Alabama (Dec 05), Dave Douglas (Feb 06), Maria Schneider Orchestra (March 06), Ladysmith Black Mambazo (Apr 06), Leo Kottke (May 06)

Where's Jimmy Scott playing? GOT to make that gig.

Where's Jimmy Scott playing?  GOT to make that gig.

He's playing at the Hogg Memorial Auditorium, as part of the UT Performing Arts thing. Their site doesn't list whether tickets are available for this separately from a package deal for now, but I would think it would closer to the performance.

Also, they just listed an Etta James performance for next month. She's also playing at Hogg, on July 13th. Tickets are available for this one.

Black Moses was incredible!...

Now playing: Anthony Braxton

This is but one reason why you are a friend of mine!

aw, shucks... (i can't figure out what the "blush" smiley is doing with his "hand?"),

but you know the importance and impact both of these guys have made on music!

Intelligent perception rates high on my friendship "meter"

and that's why you're definitely there! (other reasons too, of course, like considering

playing songs like "Crepuscule With Ricky"..."Darn That Sock"..."Rin Tin Tin Deo"... :lol:)

By the way, I think most of the younger generation showed up at the DMA

'cause he was "Chef" and not "Shaft" :lol:

---

Now playing: Duke Pearson - Bunda Amarela (Little Yellow Streetcar)

• 2 weeks later...

slightly off topic....

I was in Austin for part of last week, on vacation (also out in the hill country :tup ) and picked up the local freebie paper, the Austin Chronicle, to check out any potential live shows worth hitting.

Not much was happening, but I did notice an ad for a place called "Kenny Dorham's Back Yard", on 11th and Lydia. Was pleasantly surprised to see the name, actually. Anyone been there? Is this run by the Dorham family or something? Any good music going on there?

A quick web check only turned up this:

"Named for legendary jazz trumpeter and East Austinite, Kenny Dorham’s Backyard is DiverseArts’ outdoor music venue, located in the heart of the historic East End cultural district, just down the street from Dorham’s last Austin home. Jazz, blues, rhythm and blues, and gospel, fine arts and crafts exhibits, children’s programming, and more. "

Edited by Aggie87

...uh, the glazed TIDBITS are playing at the FALL OUT LOUNGE (on Exposition, near Fair ParK) in Dallas...July 13 , 9PM till midnite. The excruciating TIDBITS is a trio (keys, gtr, lots of electronic gizmos, drums). 100% improvisation : where the dear notes and the anti-lope rhythms play, where seldom (actually never) is heard a discouraging "standard". Word.

One day the exposed TIDBITS will have a website...one day...

...uh, the glazed TIDBITS are playing at the FALL OUT LOUNGE (on Exposition, near Fair ParK) in Dallas...July 13 , 9PM till midnite. The excruciating TIDBITS is a trio (keys, gtr, lots of electronic gizmos, drums). 100% improvisation : where the dear notes and the anti-lope rhythms play, where seldom (actually never) is heard a discouraging "standard". Word.

One day the exposed TIDBITS will have a website...one day...

thanks for the tidbit. :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

On July 20, Wednesday, the unsupervised TIDBITS will be attempting to translate their emotional outbursts into music at the "Fallout Lounge" on Exposition (Fair Park area) in Dallas. 9PM - midnight. The hydrogenated TIDBITS is an improvising trio with a frightening amount of electronics.

There's music there every Wednesday and JSangrey was there last Wednesday reeding his azz off.

• 4 weeks later...

Speaking of Austin gigs...

In November, The Thing with Joe McPhee will be playing in Austin (17th) and Houston (18th) venue TBA. The Thing features Mats Gustafsson, Paal Nilssen-Love and Ingebrigt Haker-Flaten.

Also, check out the Deep Listening Institute (formerly Pauline Oliveros Foundation Houston)

http://www.pofinc.org/houston/

They have some killer shows planned for the fall. I've heard that Ikue Mori and Zeena Parkins will play sometime as well as a trio with Kidd Jordan, Alvin Fielder and William Parker... I'll post more when I hear details.

pg moreno

epistrophy arts

John Scofield will be playing Antone's on October 9th, for anyone interested. Appears to be the "Ray Charles Project", following his last release, though I'm not sure who will be actually in the touring band this go round.

...and is that Mori/Parkins & Jordan/Fielder/Parker thing coming to Austin?

John Scofield will be playing Antone's on October 9th, for anyone interested.  Appears to be the "Ray Charles Project", following  his last release, though I'm not sure who will be actually in the touring band this go round. 

...and is that Mori/Parkins & Jordan/Fielder/Parker thing coming to Austin?

Would love to see this if Willie Weeks was in the touring band.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...