Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, Etc. Jazz & Other Concerts

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Y'all come see him. I hope to be there (if I can't find anyone to go see Sonic Youth with me :g).

Man, tough choice!

I got a free ticket to Tortoise here on Wednesday. I haven't liked much they've done since the first record, but it will still be enjoyable. They've got talent, even if it sometimes gets lost in the noodling.

Saw SY about 3 weeks ago. They played the whole new album, which I had not heard before the show. I think it sounded pretty good and will end up buying it at some point. They did "Death Valley 69" and some tunes from Daydream for the two encores.

Saw Tortoise last week.. Again they have a new album out that I had not heard before. Good show. They did do the title track off of TNT, along w/most of the new album according to my friend. The thing about Tortoise is that they are an instrumental band w/out a really standout instrumentalist. All of the musicians in the band are very good it's just that no one really sticks out as memorable, imo, which can be problematic at times. While their music is miles away from the Grateful Dead, they kind of remind me of seeing the Dead w/out Garcia. Both bands are tight ensembles that, at times, seem to have a telepathic communication amongst themselves. However, they are both missing a leader to navigate the twists and turns of the jams and as a result sometimes the music doesn't really go anywhere. Also another problem for me is that their albums are very inconsistent. They'll have 3 or 4 really good tunes and the rest just sounds like filler to my ears. What makes Tortoise for me are their genre jumping arrangements/instrumentation. Would loved to have seen a Garcia/Tortoise collaboration. Alas.

• 3 weeks later...

At the new Dallas Center for the Performing Arts:

MARCH 3, 2010: PIANO LATINO

EDDIE PALMIERI, MICHEL CAMILO AND ALFREDO RODRIGUEZ

Eddie Palmieri…with a career honored by nine Grammy Awards, the legendary pianist thrills audiences throughout the world with his unique style, charismatic power and bold innovative drive. He is joined by Alfredo Rodriguez, a Quincy Jones discover, with amazing improvisational skills and beautiful artistic soul, he represents a new generation of world class artists. Michel Camilo, Grammy winner for Best Latin Jazz album, is a virtuoso pianist with technique to spare, who flavors his tunes with the spice of Caribbean rhythms and jazz harmonies. Michel, Eddie, and Alfredo will perform together in this once in a lifetime jazz experience!

Eddie Palmieri…with a career honored by nine Grammy Awards, the legendary pianist thrills audiences throughout the world with his unique style, charismatic power and bold innovative drive. He is joined by Alfredo Rodriguez, a Quincy Jones discover, with amazing improvisational skills and beautiful artistic soul, he represents a new generation of world class artists. Michel Camilo, Grammy winner for Best Latin Jazz album, is a virtuoso pianist with technique to spare, who flavors his tunes with the spice of Caribbean rhythms and jazz harmonies. Michel, Eddie, and Alfredo will perform together in this once in a lifetime jazz experience!

Just 3 pianos?

Just 3 pianos?

I couldn't figure that out for sure. This is part of an otherwise uninspiring Larry Rosen produced series (Ramsey Lewis and Manhattan Transfer also have concerts).

Palmieri is still one to see...the other two...I don't know.

I saw Michel Camillo a couple of times at the Caravan of Dreams years ago--with Paquito D'Rivera and leading his own trio--and really enjoyed his playing. I have a few recordings and like them but haven't kept up very well. I would be eager to see him again.

• 4 weeks later...

Wednesday, 9/16: our own JSngry joins our own slide_advantage_redoux (Greg Waits) for his weekly gig at Sandaga's.

If I am not there, call 911. I would sell my copy of the Beatles mono box (which I don't have yet) to make sure I don't miss this gig!

What time does this usually start?

Yep, here is is. Excuse my blatant ad.

Since we continue to outnumber the audience, I can tell either of two things.

1) The word isn't getting out that creative music is being played.

2) Creative music is being played!

Come hear the Greg Waits Quartet

@ Sandaga's African Market in Dallas

this coming Wednesday, Sept 16th.

8 – 11:30 pm

Located on 1325 Levee Street

(1 block west of Industrial;

5 blocks south of Oak Lawn)

Ph # (214) 747-8431

Greg Waits - trombone

Jim Sangrey – tenor sax

Jeff Eckels - bass

Garry Granger - drums

If you haven’t heard Jim, you are in for a rare treat.

His is one of the most honest voices I've

ever had the pleasure to share a band stand with.

www.gregwaitsmusic.com

Come support live jazz; it is worth the effort!

Garry is doing great. I didn't know you went to high school with him. I went to the same school, but my senior class was 4 years behind his.

As usual, we outnumbered the audience, but not by much!

The unfortunate thing was that the bass player bailed. His wife was late coming home from yoga (emergency?). The problem was he had the kids and couldn't just leave. Oh well.

I have the worst problem with bass players. How soon will it be until I can clone one. Maybe I can get a tuft of hair from Ray Brown from someone......

Edited by slide_advantage_redoux

Is this a weekly engagement? I had to work late last night and couldn't attend a concert.

It has been a "third Wednesday" of every month arrangement. The crowds have been all but non existent, but then again it is an anything goes deal. We have fun.

Part of the problem with attendance is the location. It is the west end of the Dallas design district, but it looks a little spooky out there at night. Nothing but galleries and warehouses.

I talked to a few people who had intended to come by. When they came down Levee street, they looked around and decided to just keep driving.

Ironically it is probably safer than anywhere in Dallas. It is just deserted at night.

By the way, Organissimo's own Big Al was in attendance and he stepped up to the plate! There was an acoustic bass in the back room and he offered to play.

Check his fingers for blisters this morning! He is a trooper!

Thanks Al...you were great!